Author Topic: Which Songs from SOI will remain in the Set List  (Read 428 times)

Offline redrunningred

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Planet Earth Is Blue
Which Songs from SOI will remain in the Set List
« on: December 04, 2017, 09:23:01 AM »
As everyone focuses on the SOE songs and which ones would be in the set list, I’d like to talk about something different. Which songs from SOI will remain? I think it will have more staying power then NLOTH, which was brutalized in terms of staying power on set lists. But I also don’t feel that any paticular song will be on a majority of their set lists. I predict that Every  Breaking Wave, Song for Someone, The Miracle of Joey Ramona, and Iris will make occasional appearances. There is only one way where more songs appear. If they treat the tour as part of the same timeline as the Innocence tour, then it would make sense to include more SOI songs. But I think that wouldn’t leave enough room for the copious amount of big hits and crowd pleasers they always play. Thoughts?

Offline trainfanjacob8

• Babyface
  • Worst things in the world are justified by belief
Re: Which Songs from SOI will remain in the Set List
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 11:23:38 AM »
Personally, they will play one song from the SOI era per night; likely alternating between Ordinary Love and EBW.

Offline snailstampede

• Wanderer
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 01:19:31 PM »
I have a feeling that they're gonna pull maybe one or two songs along, but use this tour as a showcase for SoE in the same way the last was a showcase for SoI.

In listening to the album, I feel like they may even play some of the rhyming songs, maybe even going so far as to stitch them together. That's a bit of a stretch, obviously, but I think that we could definitely see Song for Someone and Every Breaking Wave.

Offline Sonofabono

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 02:10:44 PM »
The beginning of the St Peters string version of Lights of Home sounds so much like RBW. It'd be a huge missed opportunity not to put those songs together. Not sure they work together thematically yet, but sound-wise it feels too good to pass up.

Offline Basskid

• Running to Stand Still
  • Even the hands of love...
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 04:59:29 PM »
I think there will be several.  It's obviously going to be hard to juggle all of the usual elements, but if they're serious about no JT (which so far in small performances has been the case) that opens up a few spots.  I think EBW will stay.  I also don't see how they wouldn't play SFS.

Offline redrunningred

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Planet Earth Is Blue
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2017, 06:00:37 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I think there will be several.  It's obviously going to be hard to juggle all of the usual elements, but if they're serious about no JT (which so far in small performances has been the case) that opens up a few spots.  I think EBW will stay.  I also don't see how they wouldn't play SFS.

wait they said literally no songs from JT? wow. That opens up huge room.

Offline U2_One

• Babyface
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2017, 09:09:55 PM »
I think Ordinary Love could get a decent amount of setlist time on E+I. Perhaps EBW from time to time too. Think SOE will be well represented though, both during each night of the tour and also by having most of its songs played throughout the tour.

Offline Basskid

• Running to Stand Still
  • Even the hands of love...
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2017, 10:27:17 AM »

wait they said literally no songs from JT? wow. That opens up huge room.

They said it as a possibility not a definitive thing, but the idea that they're thinking about it and that they haven't played any in any promo appearances or Trafalgar Square is interesting! 

Offline 73October

• Numb
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2017, 01:52:36 PM »
SFS
EBW
Iris

Most likely. 
Also Sometimes You Can't Make it on Your Own (reworked to fit Bono's voice) from HTDAAB

Offline DK46

• Refugee
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2017, 12:08:02 PM »
There's a lot they can do here.  While they're adding shows to certain markets, the whole Innocence and Experience idea they had for the previous tour was sadly abandoned and I don't see that happening here (unless they do that within one show, albeit unlikely).

Still, as a companion album, I imagine a heavy set of new material, which is okay with me.  I like that as a veteran act, they still play new stuff and value that.  Probably one or two SOI songs and maybe 6-8 SOE songs. 

As 2018 is the 25th anniversary of Zooropa, it would be great to hear some stuff from that album and since they regrettably ignored Pop in 2017, it would be cool to honor that album as well.  A less 80s and more 90s centric show would be fantastic, but given the political climate, I can't see them dropping Bullet, Pride, probably keep SBS too.  I'd like to think TJT will be less present though, since they spent 5 months touring it.  It would kinda bold to not do Streets, but it's too big and given those ticket prices, they're gonna have to play some hits.

Still, some intriguing possibilities, likely to be axed for something safe.

Offline miracle_al

• Babyface
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2017, 05:56:35 PM »
Personally, I love SOI, so I hope they lean on it heavily in the set lists.  The only tracks I could probably live without are The Miracle and Volcano (which wasn't a featured track on the SOI tour, anyway).   

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2017, 09:23:00 AM »
Every Breaking Wave, Song For Someone and Sleep Like A Baby Tonight I can see being performed.

Offline miracle_al

• Babyface
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2017, 10:38:39 AM »
I was thinking about this more last night.  As much as I love 'Iris', for example, I can't see them playing any of the SOI songs that have been echoed/reprised on SOE.  It would be weird to have the "Free yourself" refrain in both 'Iris' and 'Lights of Home'.  Ditto for 'Song for Someone' / '13' and 'Volcano / American Soul'.  Anyone else feel differently?

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2017, 11:25:07 AM »
I think 13 and SFS can co-exist in the setlist, just not close to each other. Maybe placed in mirror spots on the setlist, like SFS as last song of the main set and 13 as the ending of the encore.

Offline EdgeUK8_my_mind

• Desert Rose
  • I need you to elevate me here
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2017, 07:16:56 PM »
I think EBW will be played every night, plus the occasional Miracle of Joey Ramone or California
I am betting they will play 13 every night instead of Song for Someone
There is enough "lyrical theft" of SoI in the SoE songs to satisfy our demand for the previous album