Author Topic: Will SOE be U2ís last album  (Read 1132 times)

Offline Jack

• Stateless
Will SOE be U2ís last album
« on: December 04, 2017, 12:43:40 PM »
Do people think SOE is U2ís last album or do you think more will come

Offline redrunningred

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Planet Earth Is Blue
Re: Will SOE be U2ís last album
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 01:03:48 PM »
Iíd Definitely expect a few more albums. They were kinda one of the last ďclassic rock bandsĒ who you associate with a certain age group, they are generally in their 60ís or 70ís now. But U2 is in their late 50ís. Even if they stop putting out albums at age 70, they will have 2 or three left. I do expect the next album to take much longer than 3 years however. This album was kinda coupled with SOI in title, tour, and theme, so it gave them a bit of a kick in the butt to release it. I expect the next album to take them 5 or more years.

Offline trainfanjacob8

• Babyface
  • Worst things in the world are justified by belief
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 01:17:38 PM »
IMO, one or two more albums/tours.

Offline 73October

• Numb
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 01:25:25 PM »
No, it isn't the end. 

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Take it with a little pinch of salt though because this is The Sun, which is good at lying.  However, I do have overall reason to believe what they printed is a reasonably accurate reflection of the conversations with Adam and The Edge.

They've had a good year and they seem happy with where they are at, and will likely throw everything at E & I, maybe take a reasonable break and come back with whatever is next (depending on what is happening with the Live Nation contract, of course!).

Offline mc

• Stateless
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 01:28:56 PM »
Love them to go really dark and heavy with the next album. Im not bothered if they never tour again. Just please get rid of Tedder and the pop song vibe. Love is All we have left, Little Things and Landlady are the stand out tracks... but I want a dark studio album with a few ĎLove is Blindnessí vibes ....

Offline lucas.homem

• Numb
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2017, 01:32:40 PM »
Maybe they were on the point of breaking up at some point recently, but not anymore, I guess. They will keep going, unless something unexpected comes up.

Offline 73October

• Numb
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2017, 02:11:15 PM »
Love them to go really dark and heavy with the next album. Im not bothered if they never tour again. Just please get rid of Tedder and the pop song vibe. Love is All we have left, Little Things and Landlady are the stand out tracks... but I want a dark studio album with a few ĎLove is Blindnessí vibes ....

Strangely enough, on first listen, I heard shades of Viola Beach.  Maybe it was the upbeat, positive pop-rock feel.  I guess the album was not deliberately meant to pay tribute,  But it has to a degree (the Showman is the most Viola Beach-like song on SOE).  In a strange way, it seemed to sound like Viola Beach cubed written beyond the grave on first listen.  I just listened to a load of Viola Beach stuff earlier and there is definitely a similar positive airy vibe there - they had a growing fan base before they died, and the kind of superlatives along being energetic, positive, joyous, talented, the next big thing etc that people said about Viola Beach sounded similar to what was said of U2 in their early days (1979-81), and we all know what happened next. Rest in Peace Viola Beach and play Songs Of Experience for them live, U2.

Offline Jack

• Stateless
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2017, 03:15:03 PM »
I agree with red running red that it could be 5 years plus till next album but who knows they might think they are gettin older and time cant be garenteed so to get their music out there faster especially since whatever had happened to bono

Offline radiofreenewport

• Babyface
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2017, 05:03:54 PM »
I'm leaning towards yes, though I wouldn't put money on it. I think this for a few reasons:

- There are possible goodbye hints scattered all over: "the end is not coming, the end is here...the little things that give you away...why am I walking away?" REM dropped hints all over their last record, including Stipe waving goodbye on the cover (and the only studio album cover with the group's photo on it).

- The "write as if you're dead" approach. If Bono has recovered and there are more records to make, why use fill SOE up with so many farewell/I love you letters to his family?

- The fact that the records only seem to be getting harder for them to make, including SOE's nutty number of producers, engineers, studios, etc. If the songs aren't coming easily, is it really fun or rewarding to try to bang them out when the alternative is hanging in the south of France with your wife and kids?

- So far, this is the best-received record since ATYCLB. Why not go out on a high note, especially if the songs are harder to write than they used to?

Offline Moser

• Wanderer
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2017, 09:52:22 PM »
I think this would be a great point to retire. Go out on a high note.

Offline Argo

• Party Girl/Boy
  • I Am Here
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2017, 06:09:10 PM »
I think it highly unlikely this is the last, but maybe with the mysterious health issues of Bono, he might re-think things after the end of the next tour. Given SOI and SOE has been a fairly introspective look back at the past, it does worry me a little that it would make sense for them to call it quits at this point but hope they don't. SOI and SOE have both been sufficiently strong to show they have more to offer. 

Offline achtung child

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2017, 10:07:44 AM »
There are 3 possible scenarios:

1. Yep. They pack it in and crack a six pack, never to be seen again aside from the occasional appearance/collaboration. Really?

2. Kind of.  They stop doing full albums and release a couple new tracks every now and then. Tours are smaller and shorter.  This seems plausible.

3. Nope.  Too much money to be made - most likely.

Offline Allhorizonbomb

• Wanderer
  • Self proclaimed biggest U2 fan in New York State
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2017, 12:30:24 PM »
I would love for them to come out and say Songs of Ascent will be there last album. They make it a double album and give it all they have left and that's it except for small releases of old unused songs from previous albums every once in a while.

Offline U2alwaysforever

• Staring at the Sun
  • "And you can dream, so dream out loud."
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2017, 09:50:17 PM »
More to come, but it's such a great record to end on if they do.

Offline Steve440

• Babyface
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2017, 12:47:16 PM »
I would love for them to come out and say Songs of Ascent will be there last album. They make it a double album and give it all they have left and that's it except for small releases of old unused songs from previous albums every once in a while.
Personally I think this is a good idea, to be released in 2020 when the band are all approaching 60. This would be the ideal time to call it quits before they become too embarrassing (like the Stones for example). A final tour to follow and a rarities box set - perfect finish.