Author Topic: Will SOE be U2ís last album  (Read 3351 times)

Offline ShankAsu

• Child of Grace
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
Re: Will SOE be U2ís last album
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2018, 03:33:02 PM »
given recent health issues, i wouldn't be surprised if this is it.

Offline Manos73

• Numb
  • Stop trying to change the world, I like it.
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2018, 05:19:59 PM »
SOE hasn't been doing well on US charts. SOE famously knocked out Taylor Swift's Reputations from #1. She's currently #3. U2 is #92. Most of the top 10 albums were released before SOE.

U2's not doing great on the Rock Charts either.
1-Evolve by Imagine Dragons - 23 Jun 17      
2-Woodstock by Portugal. The Man - 16 Jun 17      
3-Night Visions by Imagine Dragons - 4 Sep 12      
4-Blurryface by twenty one pilots    - 17 May 15      
5-A Decade Of Destruction by Five Finger Death Punch - 1 Dec 17      
6-Greatest Hits by Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers - 16 Nov 93   
7-Diamonds by Elton John - 10 Nov 17      
8-Greatest Hits I II & III: The Platinum Collection   by Queen - 13 Nov 00      
9-Death Of A Bachelor by Panic! At The Disco - 15 Jan 16   
10-Songs of Experience by U2 - 1 Dec 17      

SOE is irrelevant to all but U2 fans.

Offline Dali

• Child of Grace
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2018, 02:36:50 PM »
No.

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2018, 02:58:44 PM »
I have a feeling this is it. Bonoís been talking about Innocence and Experience for years - itís like a build up to an end plan (as JK Rowling who wrote the ending and then worked the books towards it)

If it isnít they will disappear for a long time - they will have worked 4/5 years solid by the end of this tour.

Offline Swedescott

• Babyface
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2018, 03:10:52 PM »
This may be simplistic, but Bono has never displayed a loss of things to say...and U2 has always been his most effective forum.  I completely agree there may a hiatus, time to re-energize and reconcile their next direction, but it's hard to imagine this 40 year-long group deciding they've said and played it all.

Offline 73October

• Running to Stand Still
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2018, 11:35:42 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
SOE hasn't been doing well on US charts. SOE famously knocked out Taylor Swift's Reputations from #1. She's currently #3. U2 is #92. Most of the top 10 albums were released before SOE.

U2's not doing great on the Rock Charts either.
1-Evolve by Imagine Dragons - 23 Jun 17      
2-Woodstock by Portugal. The Man - 16 Jun 17      
3-Night Visions by Imagine Dragons - 4 Sep 12      
4-Blurryface by twenty one pilots    - 17 May 15      
5-A Decade Of Destruction by Five Finger Death Punch - 1 Dec 17      
6-Greatest Hits by Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers - 16 Nov 93   
7-Diamonds by Elton John - 10 Nov 17      
8-Greatest Hits I II & III: The Platinum Collection   by Queen - 13 Nov 00      
9-Death Of A Bachelor by Panic! At The Disco - 15 Jan 16   
10-Songs of Experience by U2 - 1 Dec 17      

SOE is irrelevant to all but U2 fans.

It's done surprisingly better than I thought in the UK Top 40 album charts:
Week 1 = #5
         2 = #20
         3 = #23
         4 = #22
         5 = #22
         6 = #27
Given that this week probably is one of the slowest for sales - people have probably spent any money they had for Christmas by now, it's holding it's own so far.  Week 1 was definitely fan pre-sales but since then it's been in the middle section of the charts.   U2 may be uncool but word is getting around this is a good album and sales have been reasonably good, but not as good as Noel Gallagher who probably has a wider fan base over here now.

I can't see it being their last, unless something truly tragic happens (at least Bono has got us thinking about the unthinkable) to one of the band members.  They'll keep going as long as they can or want, and they definitely seem to want to.

Offline WacoOne

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2018, 01:49:52 PM »
No way this is their last album. Bono seems to have a new purpose in life after his near "extinction event." I think they'll make 3 to 4 more albums, and probably hang it up when they are 70.

Offline ShankAsu

• Child of Grace
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2018, 04:58:16 PM »
if this is the final album, i think it was a good one to end on.  to me it feels like a final album with the opening and closing songs.

Offline U2craig

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2018, 07:19:41 AM »
These guys will be making music and touring for the next 20+ years - IMHO.  Why wouldnít they!  That is how they are, that is what they do.  All of them are friends since high school and their concerts are an absolute blast!!!

Offline 73October

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2018, 12:17:12 PM »
These guys will be making music and touring for the next 20+ years - IMHO.  Why wouldnít they!  That is how they are, that is what they do.  All of them are friends since high school and their concerts are an absolute blast!!!

Seconded!

Offline pan360

• Babyface
  • The universe is beautiful but cold
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2018, 07:30:30 AM »
Definitely more albums to be expected from U2 if nothing serious happens to any of them.

Offline Conor74

• Wanderer
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2018, 10:20:54 AM »
Break-ups seem to be driven (or kick-started) by one band member - certainly the case with R.E.M. - Peter Buck decided he just didn't want anything to do with the music industry anymore. If you apply that to U2, I couldn't begin to think who'd be the ringleader, however! But these guys are getting on now - Larry's had lots of problems with his hands, Bono's obviously feeling a little fragile. Edge will live forever of course because he'll upload his consciousness to a computer.

I think we'll get Songs of Ascent, an associated tour, and that'll be curtains. Everyone deserves the chance to retire.

Offline Manos73

• Numb
  • Stop trying to change the world, I like it.
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2018, 10:46:46 AM »
Break-ups seem to be driven (or kick-started) by one band member - certainly the case with R.E.M. - Peter Buck decided he just didn't want anything to do with the music industry anymore. If you apply that to U2, I couldn't begin to think who'd be the ringleader, however! But these guys are getting on now - Larry's had lots of problems with his hands, Bono's obviously feeling a little fragile. Edge will live forever of course because he'll upload his consciousness to a computer.

I think we'll get Songs of Ascent, an associated tour, and that'll be curtains. Everyone deserves the chance to retire.
Adam has said before that he hopes he isn't doing U2 forever.

Offline 73October

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2018, 11:34:44 AM »

Adam has said before that he hopes he isn't doing U2 forever.
But that was before.  What about now?  Has he changed his mind?

Offline radiofreenewport

• Babyface
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2018, 02:24:32 PM »
Break-ups seem to be driven (or kick-started) by one band member - certainly the case with R.E.M. - Peter Buck decided he just didn't want anything to do with the music industry anymore.

Not true -- they've been clear that it was a mutual decision. Peter is more involved with music since their breakup than Mills and Stipe put together (solo records, Filthy Friends, Alejandro Escovedo, Todos Santos festival, etc.).