Author Topic: Will SOE be U2s last album  (Read 4231 times)

olimar

Re: Will SOE be U2s last album
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2018, 03:34:16 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
SOE hasn't been doing well on US charts. SOE famously knocked out Taylor Swift's Reputations from #1. She's currently #3. U2 is #92. Most of the top 10 albums were released before SOE.

U2's not doing great on the Rock Charts either.
1-Evolve by Imagine Dragons - 23 Jun 17      
2-Woodstock by Portugal. The Man - 16 Jun 17      
3-Night Visions by Imagine Dragons - 4 Sep 12      
4-Blurryface by twenty one pilots    - 17 May 15      
5-A Decade Of Destruction by Five Finger Death Punch - 1 Dec 17      
6-Greatest Hits by Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers - 16 Nov 93   
7-Diamonds by Elton John - 10 Nov 17      
8-Greatest Hits I II & III: The Platinum Collection   by Queen - 13 Nov 00      
9-Death Of A Bachelor by Panic! At The Disco - 15 Jan 16   
10-Songs of Experience by U2 - 1 Dec 17      

SOE is irrelevant to all but U2 fans.

It's done surprisingly better than I thought in the UK Top 40 album charts:
Week 1 = #5
         2 = #20
         3 = #23
         4 = #22
         5 = #22
         6 = #27
Given that this week probably is one of the slowest for sales - people have probably spent any money they had for Christmas by now, it's holding it's own so far.  Week 1 was definitely fan pre-sales but since then it's been in the middle section of the charts.   U2 may be uncool but word is getting around this is a good album and sales have been reasonably good, but not as good as Noel Gallagher who probably has a wider fan base over here now.

I can't see it being their last, unless something truly tragic happens (at least Bono has got us thinking about the unthinkable) to one of the band members.  They'll keep going as long as they can or want, and they definitely seem to want to.

Discussed this on another thread, but the impact of streaming sales completely warps the charts, which was essentially where Bono was going with his ill-judged "girly music" comment in the RS interview. A teenager in their bedroom will willingly stream a single song 100 times in a week and that counts not just as a single sale, but also towards an album sale aswell. I cant remember the exact mechanics, but if 10 tracks on an album are streamed, it constitutes an album sale. However, it could be the same two tracks played 5 times each, it doesnt need to be a complete 1-10 tracks.

That seems to explain to me why albums by artists with very strong teenage followings can remain in the charts endlessly and the volumes make it almost impossible for an older artist to make a dent.

Offline flowtheman

• Babyface
  • Even better than the real thing.
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2018, 04:12:06 PM »
I think there are several reasons to believe they will do another few albums, but also reasons to belive and maybe hints that after SOE they will "retire", whatever that would mean in the sense of U2.

But there was one thing Adam said, that really made me think about the fact that it might be the last album. I'm not quite sure if it was during EMA-Awards or something similar last year during the SOE-Promotion Events: Adam was expressing his thanks to the crew/producers etc. and he said something like "they would support us as if it was our first album.....or our last". And I think he stressed out the "or our last" part in a strange way that made me think about it.... Did anyone else notice that?

Offline 73October

• Staring at the Sun
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2018, 10:04:02 AM »
I think I have read a few comments that say that the band go into every album as IF it is their last.  Adam also said to Chris Evans on Radio 2 that another album was not out of the question.

Offline flowtheman

• Babyface
  • Even better than the real thing.
« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2018, 03:14:02 AM »
I think I have read a few comments that say that the band go into every album as IF it is their last.  Adam also said to Chris Evans on Radio 2 that another album was not out of the question.

aaah okay, that is calming information!

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2018, 11:35:25 PM »
Prior to it coming out, I was seriously wondering if it would be their good-bye. Now, I think it's the start of a new era.

Offline Jack

• Stateless
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2018, 12:53:09 AM »
I still think we will get another album with a 4 to 5 year wait.Im sure after this new tour starting in may they will have a long break as they have been pretty busy the last few years+

Offline Sunchild

• Stateless
« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2018, 03:54:30 AM »
There are dozens of albums, even from starting bands, released within the last 2 years that sing about the end, but it is never suggested as the end with regards to the band, but the end with regards to the world out there, to a certain era, for instance 2016 is very often seen as the end in many views, astrologically, politically, ideologically, etc. Many of us are experiencing certain ends on a spiritual level, and many bands are addressing it very often. 

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2018, 10:15:46 AM »
U2 have two albums that have been in the works for years and not been released yet. "Songs Of Ascent" and an unnamed "Rick Rubin produced album". So I think Songs Of Ascent is coming in late 2021 followed by its tour. Then in 2025 you'll see the unnamed "Rick Rubin produced" album followed by its tour.

Beyond that, say an album in 2029, that is where one might start to wonder. Unless they pull and R.E.M. or something happens to one of the band members, I think they will continue. There is just no reason not to. This is what they love about life. Its not a job to them in the sense most people think about a job. There is no desire to "retire" from it.

Mick Jagger and Keither Richards of the Rolling Stones will be turning 75 this year and are planning on releasing a new album of new songs and touring as the Rolling Stones. It will be the Rolling Stones first new album of all new songs in 13 years.

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2018, 10:26:20 AM »
I would love for them to come out and say Songs of Ascent will be there last album. They make it a double album and give it all they have left and that's it except for small releases of old unused songs from previous albums every once in a while.
Personally I think this is a good idea, to be released in 2020 when the band are all approaching 60. This would be the ideal time to call it quits before they become too embarrassing (like the Stones for example). A final tour to follow and a rarities box set - perfect finish.

There is nothing embarrassing about playing music in your 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s etc. There is no age requirement for playing music. The only thing embarrassing is believing otherwise or only wanting to see someone in their 20s up on a stage playing music. If that is the case then its really not about the music and more about that person getting off on some non-musical visual aspect.

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2018, 10:30:49 AM »
SOE hasn't been doing well on US charts. SOE famously knocked out Taylor Swift's Reputations from #1. She's currently #3. U2 is #92. Most of the top 10 albums were released before SOE.

U2's not doing great on the Rock Charts either.
1-Evolve by Imagine Dragons - 23 Jun 17      
2-Woodstock by Portugal. The Man - 16 Jun 17      
3-Night Visions by Imagine Dragons - 4 Sep 12      
4-Blurryface by twenty one pilots    - 17 May 15      
5-A Decade Of Destruction by Five Finger Death Punch - 1 Dec 17      
6-Greatest Hits by Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers - 16 Nov 93   
7-Diamonds by Elton John - 10 Nov 17      
8-Greatest Hits I II & III: The Platinum Collection   by Queen - 13 Nov 00      
9-Death Of A Bachelor by Panic! At The Disco - 15 Jan 16   
10-Songs of Experience by U2 - 1 Dec 17      

SOE is irrelevant to all but U2 fans.

At this point maybe. But there are still other songs yet to be released from this album. Even if they fail to get a hit, the hardcore fans based around the world is 4 million strong. That gives them options that most of today's current popular artist can't even imagine.