Author Topic: Will SOE be U2s last album  (Read 4432 times)

Offline Mark72

• Stateless
  • Modern Life Is Rubbish
Re: Will SOE be U2s last album
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2017, 01:02:46 PM »
I think one more in 2020 and I reckon that's it!

olimar

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2017, 06:17:24 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
- The "write as if you're dead" approach. If Bono has recovered and there are more records to make, why use fill SOE up with so many farewell/I love you letters to his family?

Possibly because of a recognition, brought about by the health issue, that it was important to take the opportunity to say those things rather than wait.

When U2 were doing Passengers, Batman, Goldeneye, I thought that seemed like an ideal career path for them later in their careers, to be creative and artistic in a less public way without the need to tour and market themselves.
At this point, it seems hard to imagine them taking the decision to just concentrate on making music, when everything over the last few years suggests they still believe that they are capable of producing great albums and touring in the same way they ever have. The latest album still shows that to be the right decision.
The Spiderman musical might have put them off the soundtrack side of things and they clearly very much wanted to win an Oscar for Ordinary Love. Yet both also show that the desire is still there to go in that direction perhaps.

Offline 73October

• Staring at the Sun
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2017, 01:25:53 PM »
I would love for them to come out and say Songs of Ascent will be there last album. They make it a double album and give it all they have left and that's it except for small releases of old unused songs from previous albums every once in a while.
Personally I think this is a good idea, to be released in 2020 when the band are all approaching 60. This would be the ideal time to call it quits before they become too embarrassing (like the Stones for example). A final tour to follow and a rarities box set - perfect finish.
The Stones were really cool amongst younger people about 5-8 years ago though.  Younger rock fans are buying G'N'R, Metallica, AC/DC these days.  Sometimes festival appearances help.  Adam was interviewed on Absolute Radio in the UK and basically confirmed there would be no European festival appearances next year and the European leg of E&I will be in the autumn and indoors (so in a way mirroring I&E three years ago as they are a 'pair' of tours).  Whilst this would be great for hardcore fans, it could be a lost opportunity as there are indoor and urban festivals now.  There was no European festival dates on that leg of TJT17.  Adam said Bonnaroo was an experiment on the US leg.  Glastonbury just had to be done, but they looked uncomfortable in that setting although the set was pretty solid and was a 'greatest hits' show.

Offline Manos73

• Numb
  • Stop trying to change the world, I like it.
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2017, 02:35:54 PM »
I hope SOE is the last. Next record will be EDM/hip hop with all female vocals. The Edge will have a 15 guitar solo on track 3.

Offline Allhorizonbomb

• Wanderer
  • Self proclaimed biggest U2 fan in New York State
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2017, 11:56:22 PM »
I just want U2 to say this is it so that we know not to keep waiting.

Offline 73October

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2017, 11:13:04 AM »
No they want to keep being relevant (read the Stereogum interview) and Adam has pointed toward another release in his BBC Radio 2 interview.  I can't see them retiring.  The only way they'll go is in a coffin and recent rhetoric is that they are trying to hold off the latter as long as possible (Bono's had a shock and everyone is aware of their mortality following some high profile passings in the last year or two - Bowie, Prince, George Michael, Tom Petty etc).

Offline 73October

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2017, 11:15:00 AM »
I hope SOE is the last. Next record will be EDM/hip hop with all female vocals. The Edge will have a 15 guitar solo on track 3.

Well, Bono is saying that he's fine and now 'singing like a girl' so there's a glimmer of hope that the next release will be such :)

Offline b-mata

• Babyface
  • I'm already gone, felt that way all along.
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2017, 11:23:53 AM »
I have a feeling that they have two more albums in them.  I think they will come faster than the past few, simply due to age and realizing time is short.

2020 for the next album and 2022 for the final album "Songs of Ascents" and the last tour... U22022: Can we Possibly get a few more 2's.

Online Sunchild

• Stateless
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2017, 01:28:19 PM »
SOE is U2's last album, until there's another one. It's easy to image U2 playing and releasing new music for the next 25-30 years at the very least. U2 are certainly about to be one of the longest running bands in history. The form might change, but not the spirit and life of a band.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 01:31:44 PM by Sunchild »

Offline judas1

• Babyface
  • Just had Bono sign this in NY 3/3 album release
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2017, 03:02:48 PM »
I doubt they will ever retire, just slow down, but most likely not in the next 10 years.  If they were to retire, they would announce it when the album and tour was released, to milk the tour and album sales.  That's how it's done in Rock N Roll, unless you break up, and there probably isn't a band of this magnitude or any really, that have this bond  Now their kids are older, and getting out of the house, less reason to stay at home, no?  The band also operates a global company, with a staff that has been there from the start.  I see them trying to get these people to the finish line with them, in other words, they feel that  they need help to support the staff that has run this machine which is U2, financially.  And another thought, with all of their charitable endeavors, what better p.r. is there than a new album and tour.  If the band retired, does anyone really think Bono's voice would be heard on the same scale, the media doesn't work that way, especially when you aren't on the front pages of the tabloids for bad deeds.  The media doesn't care about retired do gooders, bad boys always sell.

Offline mariamontreal

• Running to Stand Still
  • She moves in mysterious ways
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2017, 11:15:52 AM »
They are not done they love playing live and being out there

Offline 73October

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2017, 01:46:58 PM »
They are not done they love playing live and being out there
+1

Offline kevtn43

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2018, 07:57:04 AM »
I don't think so i can see them doing at least 3 more and maybe 4 tours one of them being a farewell one

Offline suitoflights

• Desert Rose
  • You gotta hold on baby to my special feature
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2018, 04:48:02 PM »
I hope they go on forever. They can still make good records and I think they could still surprise us.
Also Bono's vocals are better than ever on SOE.

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2018, 10:35:14 AM »
U2 will probably still be recording and touring 20 years from now. Once again, all this talk about the last album is so premature. The Rolling Stones are coming out with a new album this year and they are roughly 20 years older than U2.