Author Topic: U2 @ the BBC - December 19th at 9pm  (Read 5755 times)

Offline Marvinho

• Headache in a Suitcase
Re: U2 @ the BBC - December 19th at 9pm
« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2017, 11:18:45 AM »
I really enjoyed it but for ...
... the new songs lack a certain oomph live at the minute. Maybe they'll grow as they get played more.
... Bono's voice was ropey on the big woah ohs of With or Without You
... One sounded great until he started with that blooming megaphone! Not in One please. Not in One!

Offline Jono

• Running to Stand Still
  • Sitting at Larry's drum kit inside Sun Studio
« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2017, 11:44:36 AM »
I actually mentioned to my wife that Bono seemed to try more than he usually does, but you need to remember he recorded WOWY 30 years ago and to do that song that well as a 50+ yo dude after screaming it and so many other songs for as long as he has, bravo!

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • Nashville, Montreal 1 & 2
« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2017, 11:48:27 AM »
This episode would make a nice and tidy little subscription gift for 2018. Has plenty of classics in new arrangements, recorded in the best sound studio in the world according to Steve Albini and has a healthy mix of JT/SOE songs which are contemporary.

Offline 73October

• Running to Stand Still
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2017, 12:04:13 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I actually mentioned to my wife that Bono seemed to try more than he usually does, but you need to remember he recorded WOWY 30 years ago and to do that song that well as a 50+ yo dude after screaming it and so many other songs for as long as he has, bravo!

I agree - he went for it and his voice is still standing up.  There's even a bit of change of register.  He's the wrong end of 50 and still holding it.  I think his voice has a certain amount of richness of soul in it now.  If he sings like a broken man, then all the better.

Offline Luzita

• Stateless
« Reply #49 on: December 20, 2017, 12:39:36 PM »
Still haven’t seen everything but watched some clips that have appeared on YouTube. The newer songs like GOOYOW and Beautiful day sounded fantastic. I didn’t feel Bono sounded good on WOWY. He’s still a great singer, maybe better than ever in terms of interpretation, but there’s no denying his voice has lost power and range. When he does an old song like WOWY I hear the original playing in my head so I feel disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Jswallow

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #50 on: December 20, 2017, 02:13:42 PM »
That was brilliant, really moving and epic! Still got it !

And in watching that underworld video you got a correct understanding of Larry's pants size.
28'' inch waist, skinny git

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Offline habib2343

• Wanderer
« Reply #51 on: December 20, 2017, 03:25:57 PM »
i'd agree with the old warhorses being brought out for the umpteenth time. I'm pretty sure all of them must get tired of belting out BD, etc one for the 2012402194th time but because they are too scared of alienating the mainstream audience with the deep cuts from their rich catalogue. For those new u2, there is so so so so so so much more to them than the staples of one, bd, wowy, siamycgoo,,if only the yet to be converted would dig deeper, they would find a rich tapestry of great great songs.

Lights of home sounds absolutely epic with the strings, that version should have been on the album....

Offline durk

• Wanderer
« Reply #52 on: December 20, 2017, 04:07:38 PM »
i think these BBC versions- with the ones I've seen so far- are outstanding.

Offline Jack

• Stateless
« Reply #53 on: December 20, 2017, 04:12:53 PM »
Brilliant u moaners just brilliant

Offline david

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #54 on: December 21, 2017, 03:36:59 AM »
The problem is, good and all that the performances were, nobody saw them. 1.4million viewers tuned in, even though it was a prime time slot on BBC1. U2 just aren't a big draw in the UK anymore on the small screen at least.

Offline achtungbhoy

• Babyface
« Reply #55 on: December 21, 2017, 06:43:00 AM »
Thought it was all a bit meh...

I agree with Bono - the orchestra thing was self-indulgent. It didn't add anything significant to any of the tunes apart from All I Want Is You obviously - and even then it didn't add anything because the orchestra was always there anyway.

It also lacked a bit of momentum with each song being followed by an interview segment, which brings me to my next gripe - Cat Deeley's interview. That was so anaemic and went over so much old ground. Like, imagine, they were formed when Larry put a notice up in their school. Who knew....?!

I actually though the Brazil footage was good and it was interesting to see behind the scenes but the music left me largely unmoved I'm afraid....

Offline blovesu2

• Wanderer
« Reply #56 on: December 21, 2017, 09:04:07 AM »
Thought it was all a bit meh...

I agree with Bono - the orchestra thing was self-indulgent. It didn't add anything significant to any of the tunes apart from All I Want Is You obviously - and even then it didn't add anything because the orchestra was always there anyway.

It also lacked a bit of momentum with each song being followed by an interview segment, which brings me to my next gripe - Cat Deeley's interview. That was so anaemic and went over so much old ground. Like, imagine, they were formed when Larry put a notice up in their school. Who knew....?!

I actually though the Brazil footage was good and it was interesting to see behind the scenes but the music left me largely unmoved I'm afraid....

LOL don't be afraid. It's ok to not be moved. Everything is gonna be ok

Offline 73October

• Running to Stand Still
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #57 on: December 21, 2017, 11:37:05 AM »
The problem is, good and all that the performances were, nobody saw them. 1.4million viewers tuned in, even though it was a prime time slot on BBC1. U2 just aren't a big draw in the UK anymore on the small screen at least.

However 1.4 million is more that you'd get at a series of shows.  And that's per 'household' so maybe make it up to 2 million in reality.
I&E run in London had approx. 120K, Glasgow probably 50-60K, Belfast 40K - so say 200K in UK for I&E tour
TJT17 had around 120K for the two nights in London
So viewing figures aren't bad considering this is a rock band and not a soap opera or costume drama.

That said, if you go over to TalkU2, you'll find one of the UK based mods didn't watch it live and recorded it as they were not in at the time apparently.

Offline Luzita

• Stateless
« Reply #58 on: December 21, 2017, 11:47:40 AM »
 Yes I was going to ask — do you get ratings in the UK that take time-shifted viewing into account? Here in the US only a fraction of the audience watches live.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline BalconyTV

• Numb
« Reply #59 on: December 21, 2017, 01:39:35 PM »
Time to shut these forums down again. People are just miserable. Who cares about ratings... and how Bonos voice is not the same as 1987 etc etc. I mean can you just enjoy the performance for what it is.

Everyone picking out the negatives all over again.