Author Topic: Scalping  (Read 663 times)

Offline McSwilly

• Stateless
Scalping
« on: December 05, 2017, 11:15:14 AM »
One more thought as f/u to the great pieces already on @U2.

On the Innocence tour the floor seats were all credit card only entry. This is a much better way than verified fan because the tickets were non-transferable. There were ZERO floor GAs on stub hub on the whole tour. For the experience tour re-sellers are flooded with GA and other seats.

Not sure why others (Hamilton play, etc.) don't use credit card only entry. In San Jose and Boston there were no delays.

Lastly, the fact that I could "resell" my tickets on TM for the May experience show speaks poorly for the band for allowing this (it is not always allowed) and is yet another reason that Ticketmaster is one of the biggest scalpers out there.

that said...can't wait for the shows!

Offline d.darroch

• Party Girl/Boy
Re: Scalping
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 11:55:48 AM »
From memory, I'm pretty sure there were still plenty of GA's on the reseller's sites for I+E, unfortunately. The scalpers got around the CC entry last time by purchasing the GA tickets with pre-paid CC. Sending the pre-paid CC, along with the tix, to whoever purchases them. Photo ID is never checked, as it's too time consuming.

Other than the fact that scalpers got around the CC entry, it also made it very difficult for fans to trade tickets with other fans, & some people's tickets just went to waste, when they were unable to attend a show or sell their tickets.

Ticketmaster is in on the scalping act, with their reseller site. If they were serious last time they would have stopped the use of pre-purchase CC's (which their policies said were not allowed). Plus they could easily ban the resale of tickets above face value, though that doesn't appear to be in their interests.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 11:58:13 AM by d.darroch »

Offline beershack

• Wanderer
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2017, 12:39:55 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
There were ZERO floor GAs on stub hub on the whole tour.

Lol, no.  There were thousands of GA's on StubHub for I&E.  Touts just bought tickets on prepaid credit cards and shipped them to the buyers.  No ID was asked for at any venue.

Offline jgrooms

• Stateless
  • Hello
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 11:06:51 AM »
The only way to completely stop scalping is to make tickets non transferable (like airlines tickets).  You can't go? Tough, you are out the cash.

Problem is fans don't want that.  So.. you can't have it both ways.  If you want re-sellable tickets then guess what? You get to live with scalpers.

End of the story really.

Offline d.darroch

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2018, 05:20:45 AM »
I think you could have it both ways. End the reselling of tickets online (I wish!).

But allow tickets to be be transferred (at face value) at Ticketmaster retail outlets. Both parties, the seller & the buyer would have to meet at a Ticketmaster location, with their ID. Tickets would be transferred for a fee, of course, TM needs their cut.

Yes, it would be a bit of a hassle, but at least it allows fans to trade/sell tickets at face value, & gives those who are unable to attend some way to get some of their money back.

Who knows, maybe some scalpers would demand more cash from the buyer on occasions, before the visit to the TM outlet, but I'm sure this would be very rare compared to the current resale market situation.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 05:22:58 AM by d.darroch »

Offline PROJ2823

• Refugee
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2018, 11:58:30 AM »
I think you could have it both ways. End the reselling of tickets online (I wish!).

But allow tickets to be be transferred (at face value) at Ticketmaster retail outlets. Both parties, the seller & the buyer would have to meet at a Ticketmaster location, with their ID. Tickets would be transferred for a fee, of course, TM needs their cut.

Yes, it would be a bit of a hassle, but at least it allows fans to trade/sell tickets at face value, & gives those who are unable to attend some way to get some of their money back.

Who knows, maybe some scalpers would demand more cash from the buyer on occasions, before the visit to the TM outlet, but I'm sure this would be very rare compared to the current resale market situation.
The only way to completely stop scalping is to make tickets non transferable (like airlines tickets).  You can't go? Tough, you are out the cash.

Problem is fans don't want that.  So.. you can't have it both ways.  If you want re-sellable tickets then guess what? You get to live with scalpers.

End of the story really.

As tickets are essentially barcodes now, the only thing that would be needed is some way to inform the ticket organization that you are not going. They scrap the barcode and can issue another one. You get a refund on the credit card or bank account minus a small fee like 5%.

This would be possible up to the start of the concert (eg. if you don't make it because your plane is delayed or in a traffic jam, you can still get the ticket refunded and they can sell your place to someone else at the venue ticket office.