Author Topic: This SOE Song Reminds Me of......  (Read 513 times)

Offline DrDoom171

• Headache in a Suitcase
This SOE Song Reminds Me of......
« on: December 05, 2017, 01:14:37 PM »
So, what other songs do the songs on Songs of Experience remind you of?  I'm sure there will be many references to past U2 songs, but that would be obvious and kind of boring to discuss.  So, are there any songs on SOE that remind you of songs by other artists?

Get Out of Your Own Way reminds me of Go Your Own Way by Fleetwood Mac.  They don't really sound anything alike, but I find myself switching choruses in my head when I am mentally singing GOOYOW.  Kind of irritating to me because I start singing "get out of your own way...you can go your own way, call it another lonely day"

Also, for Lights of Home, I keep coming back to the Hey Jude ending and singing an overlap.  I actually think this would be awesome if U2 ever did it.  U2 often incorporates snippets of other songs when playing their own song in concert.  While Bono is singing "Free yourself....." the rest of the band could be singing "Naaaaa naaa naa na-na-na-naaaaa...." (Sounds awesome in my mind) like this:

Free  yourself  to  be  yourself
Naaaaa naaa naa na-na-na-naaaaa

If only you   could you see yourself       If only you could
          na-na-na-naaaaa           Hey Jude

Offline kacey725

• Stranger in a Strange Land
  • Infinity is a great place to start
Re: This SOE Song Reminds Me of......
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 01:41:45 PM »
I mentioned it in my song rankings, but listen to "Time of the Season" by The Zombies and then listen to "Summer of Love" right after it. Super similar bass/drum work and almost the same speed! The Zombies song came out in 1968 and the Summer of Love was 1967, but CLOSE ENOUGH...I'm sure this was intentional.

Offline PookaMacP

• Refugee
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 04:18:04 PM »
Oh, good idea for a thread:

1. Love Is All We Have Left
Bon Iver on the vocoder.

2. Lights of Home
The Black Keys (aping Led Zeppelin) on the verses; a bit of Pink Floyd on the Edge's solo (as several reviews have pointed out); and the Beatles on the 'Free Yourself' chanted outro (good call Dr Doom).

3. You're The Best Thing About Me
The Beatles again – in the chord progression in the verses.

4. Get Out Of Your Own Way
Well, it's U2 isn't it? Beautiful Day. Though I also find myself mixing the chorus up with Fleetwood Mac when singing it back...

5. American Soul
U2 again – at their most bland-rock (Stand Up Comedy, Volcano, All Because Of You, Cedarwood Road).

6. Summer Of Love
The west coast reference reminds me of Lana Del Rey, every time. (Great shout though re the Zombies.)

7. Red Flag Day
War era U2 – I must admit I don't really hear the XX comparisons here.

8. The Showman
There's a lot of early Beatles here (especially the line 'You know that I know').

9. The Little Things That Give You Away
There's a little bit of Prince in that intro... and a bit of the Blue Nile too in the sparseness of the first verse. (A great song deserves these great comparisons.)

10. Landlady
U2 – Iris.

11. The Blackout
See American Soul.

12. Love Is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way
There's a lot of Elbow in the verses here to my ears – especially that keyboard/distorted vocal/guitar hook. Chorus is, of course, pure U2 (Walk On).

13. 13 (There Is A Light)
I'm not hearing much by way of comparison – this is one of those great late-U2 electro ballads.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 04:21:41 PM by PookaMacP »

Offline miracle_al

• Babyface
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 12:49:38 PM »
The "Look around, it's a sound" lyric in 'American Soul' reminds me of 'Hazy Shade of Winter'.

Offline suitoflights

• Desert Rose
  • You gotta hold on baby to my special feature
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 03:34:08 PM »
Opener reminds me of Comfortably Numb

Offline gottago

• Wanderer
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 03:39:30 PM »
Keep thinking about this everytime I listen to the showman, however, I can't quite place the song.

Great call on Go Your Own Way and Get Out of Your Own Way!  Can totally hear it!

Offline Bundang Dave

• Running to Stand Still
  • It's not what I want; it's what I need.
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 05:58:50 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I mentioned it in my song rankings, but listen to "Time of the Season" by The Zombies and then listen to "Summer of Love" right after it. Super similar bass/drum work and almost the same speed! The Zombies song came out in 1968 and the Summer of Love was 1967, but CLOSE ENOUGH...I'm sure this was intentional.

This is what I came in to post.

I'll add in Buffalo Springfield "For What It's Worth" as another with a similar vibe that may have influenced Summer of Love.

Offline jonnydeaf

• Stateless
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 05:52:45 AM »
Red Flag Day and The Showman would be great covers for The Kooks.  Red Flag Day in particular has the "accent" that Luke sings in with the rhythmic guitar playing of Hugh Harris.

If the Kooks toured as the opener for U2 - and they have an album coming - I'd be in heaven.

Offline DrDoom171

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2017, 09:14:42 AM »
After all of these thoughts you guys put in here, I went back to listen to some of the compared songs and I can hear most of the references you guys mentioned, especially the Hazy Shade of Winter in the look around part of American Soul.

I also finally thought of why Lights of Home sounded so familiar.  Somebody mentioned in one of the song review threads that it sounded similar to a 90's style Guns N Roses song.  While I don't quite hear that myself, I do hear this song quite a bit in the guitar sound:  Touch Peel and Stand by Days of the New.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • Nashville, Montreal 1 & 2
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2017, 10:15:30 AM »
Book of your Heart reminds me of Like a Hurricane by Neil Young

Offline jonnydeaf

• Stateless
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2017, 11:07:06 AM »

12. Love Is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way
There's a lot of Elbow in the verses here to my ears especially that keyboard/distorted vocal/guitar hook. Chorus is, of course, pure U2 (Walk On).

13. 13 (There Is A Light)
I'm not hearing much by way of comparison this is one of those great late-U2 electro ballads.

I can imagine a segment of 13 (say through the first chorus) leading into Walk On followed by Love Is Bigger... during the tour.  I've played it and it would make a good transition between each song.

Offline suitoflights

• Desert Rose
  • You gotta hold on baby to my special feature
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2017, 02:58:27 PM »
13 is just a rehash of Song for Someone. The end bit of one of the preceding songs is also tajen from another U2 song, can't remember which.

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2017, 07:17:22 PM »
Love is Bigger is just a OneRepublic song disguised as a U2 song (but I guess you could say that about the whole album)

Offline TongueInMyEar

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Love it won't be long....
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2017, 03:49:26 AM »
The Showman reminds me of The Pixies for some reason, the poppier moments of Doolitle.

Offline TongueInMyEar

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Love it won't be long....
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2017, 02:14:01 AM »
Also Love Is All We Have Left reminds me of recent Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, I can imagine Nick Cave singing it.