Author Topic: What happened with U2's "Deal" with Apple?  (Read 357 times)

Offline Larry Mullen Seniors Son

• Babyface
What happened with U2's "Deal" with Apple?
« on: December 05, 2017, 07:40:31 PM »
Any review of SOE seems to start off with a re-hash of the iTunes "fiasco" of 2014. I know I read back then that Apple and U2 had entered into a multi-year partnership that went beyond the release of SOI. U2/Bono even said they were working with Apple on a "Brand new way to consume music." Looking back, I assume this would've meant the development of Apple Music.

Fast-forward to now and I don't see any signs of a partnership. Spotify, Amazon and SiriusXM have all had exclusive U2 interviews or content leading up to SOE's release and following. Did Apple and U2 mutually agree to just quit while they were behind in a PR war they'd never win after the iTunes situation?

I don't see any of these streaming services being powerful enough to exclusively partner up with. Apple has stalled around 8% market share. Jay-Z and Tidal proved that exclusives are not always enough to get a leg up on the competition. Maybe U2 realized that they were better off to play ball with everyone going forward?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 07:41:10 PM by Larry Mullen Seniors Son »

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Staring at the Sun
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
Re: What happened with U2's "Deal" with Apple?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 10:14:12 PM »
Yeah, I think both sides were bitten after the SOI mess. Bono is clearly still good friends with Jony Ive, but some breathing room is probably good for all involved.

Its also probably best that they have deals with all the major players. The most widespread opportunities for reaching former listeners, current listeners, and future listeners. I have no doubt this is the best approach.

Offline achtung child

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 10:01:58 AM »
One word: Byeeeeeeeeee!

Offline skelter

• Running to Stand Still
  • Drowning is no sin
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 05:11:34 PM »
I wish we knew how much $$ Apple was "forced" by U2 to pay U2 for the soi album.

Is this public info? I wonder if any remaining forum members know. My guess is at least 50mil. $10mil for each member, the remaining $10mil split among their management and vips who take a cut.

Offline achtung child

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 06:00:06 PM »
Call me crazy, but I thought I read it was somewhere in the neighborhood of $250 mil.  I swear I read that somewhere.  That would roughly be $.50 per album, considering it was "dropped" into roughly 550 mil accounts.

Offline YouTwo83

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 07:34:39 AM »
This article from Spin says $100 million.  But it doesn't seem to be an official number, just an estimate.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login