Author Topic: "And in the end..." the future of U2  (Read 2227 times)

Offline jjcruiser

• Intellectual Tortoise
Re: "And in the end..." the future of U2
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2017, 10:24:25 AM »
Doesn't feel like a farewell album to me.  I thought moving Little Things back from the closer to the album, which it was originally slated to be, earlier, and ending with 13, was significant.  Also all the new sounds and collaborations.

Unlike others I guess, I think the Songs of Ascent ship sailed.  It's too overtly scriptural, too evocative of the prior two album's "Songs of" monikers, and I don't think they want to go back to the ambient Passengers feel I got the sense SoA would have been.  But I love the idea of "A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius."  Great post and idea for an album.

Even if the next album's not as good as this one, and I'm still trying to figure out if I think SoE will end up surpassing everything from the 2000s or just its two predecessors, it can still be very good and worth hearing.  There are always gems. 

Heck, I listened to "Big Girls Are Best" last night twice in a row. :)

Offline kango

• Desert Rose
  • I know I'm not a hopeless case.
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2017, 10:53:43 AM »
Can't remenber which interview it was as they've done so many recently but I'm sure Bono said this 'coming home' will open up a new chapter.

Offline minncognito

• Babyface
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2017, 05:44:34 PM »
I think they'll put out Songs of Ascent as their next and last album.

Offline wilburn

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2017, 05:20:37 PM »
Hi Every One , I don’t know if someone of you noticed this strange thing: in love is bigger than anything in its way Bono sings “start singing and stop talking “, while if you look at the back-cover of songs of experience it says:”as you’re walking, STOP SINGING, and START TALKING”.What does that mean?could this  mean soe is their last album (maybe we could read “stop singing” as a return to innocence )?

Offline ShankAsu

• Child of Grace
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2017, 05:38:03 PM »
this is the last album.  until it isn't.

Offline DPardue

• Wanderer
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2017, 06:50:09 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I think they'll put out Songs of Ascent as their next and last album.

I have long believed this.  The title is almost prophetic.

Offline pan360

• Babyface
  • The universe is beautiful but cold
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2017, 06:53:46 AM »
Doesn't feel like a farewell album to me.  I thought moving Little Things back from the closer to the album, which it was originally slated to be, earlier, and ending with 13, was significant.  Also all the new sounds and collaborations.

Unlike others I guess, I think the Songs of Ascent ship sailed.  It's too overtly scriptural, too evocative of the prior two album's "Songs of" monikers, and I don't think they want to go back to the ambient Passengers feel I got the sense SoA would have been.  But I love the idea of "A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius."  Great post and idea for an album.

Even if the next album's not as good as this one, and I'm still trying to figure out if I think SoE will end up surpassing everything from the 2000s or just its two predecessors, it can still be very good and worth hearing.  There are always gems. 

Heck, I listened to "Big Girls Are Best" last night twice in a row. :)

Songs of Ascent was first mentioned after No Line when they were working Eno / Lanois. So it would be an album produced by them. Even though I do hope that it is still released, it feels like with SOI / SOE U2 have taken a different direction and I doubt that they would go back working with Eno / Lanois. However if this happens, the "A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius." mentioned,  could be a Passengers album.

Offline trainfanjacob8

• Babyface
  • Worst things in the world are justified by belief
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2017, 06:58:27 AM »
I think there's a fairly good chance that SOE will not be their last album, maybe one more? Looking ahead, I feel like there's going to be a long stretch (4-6 years) until the next album.

Offline pan360

• Babyface
  • The universe is beautiful but cold
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2017, 07:09:02 AM »
I don’t feel the same. If the album and tour are successful, I believe they will probably decide to keep up the momentum and release one more album in the next three years. After all they are getting too old for long  breaks…

Offline lightmyway92

• Wanderer
  • On Borderland We Run
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2017, 07:29:41 AM »
I don’t feel the same. If the album and tour are successful, I believe they will probably decide to keep up the momentum and release one more album in the next three years. After all they are getting too old for long  breaks…
I agree with this.  I think they're aware that time is running short.  I have a feeling the tour will be very successful.  It already seems that the album has been well-received.

Offline trainfanjacob8

• Babyface
  • Worst things in the world are justified by belief
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2017, 09:03:01 AM »

That's true. If there's a six year gap between SOE and the next one, they will be 62-63 years old.

Offline aviastar

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Feel like trash...you make me feel clean
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2017, 12:07:24 PM »
They can just put out more ordinary love remixes in the meantime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline mc

• Stateless
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2017, 12:18:05 PM »
A Songs Of Ascent EP next year would nicely finish off this phase and hopefully propel them into a final few studio albums of deep dark heavy nature..