Author Topic: The Return of the Great U2 Coda on SOE  (Read 153 times)

Offline TongueInMyEar

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Love it won't be long....
The Return of the Great U2 Coda on SOE
« on: December 06, 2017, 03:42:58 AM »
On my first few listens of SOE the thing that really stuck out for me (as well as it being a great collection of songs, sequenced incredibly well) was a number of excellent codas to finish the songs.

This is something I've always liked about ATYCLB too and I don't think any albums since have done it much, I'm thinking of the following:

Stuck In A Moment - "And when the night runs over....
Walk On - "All that you fashion...."
Kite - "Did I waste it? Not so much I didn't taste it"

On SOE it's the first time since ATYCLB I've heard the same quality of coda.

Lights Of Home - "Free yourself to be yourself.....". I know this was also coda from Iris but it works much better here.
Little Things - "Sometimes, I can't believe my existence...."
Landlady - "Every wave that broke me, every song that wrote me...."

For me those little passages make the song. Overall I think the songwriting on SOE is the best since ATYCLB.

Offline DrDoom171

• Headache in a Suitcase
Re: The Return of the Great U2 Coda on SOE
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 08:04:29 AM »
I'm glad you started this thread.  I was thinking the same thing and almost started a thread on this subject yesterday.  Good stuff.

You could also include "Love.....is bigger.......than Any.....thing in it's way".  I know this is the same line as the chorus, but it's sung in a different way that matches the "coda formula".

As I hinted in another thread, it feels very Beatle-esque to me because it kind of follows the "Hey Jude" end of song coda pattern.

Offline TongueInMyEar

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Love it won't be long....
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 08:17:04 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I'm glad you started this thread.  I was thinking the same thing and almost started a thread on this subject yesterday.  Good stuff.

You could also include "Love.....is bigger.......than Any.....thing in it's way".  I know this is the same line as the chorus, but it's sung in a different way that matches the "coda formula".

As I hinted in another thread, it feels very Beatle-esque to me because it kind of follows the "Hey Jude" end of song coda pattern.

That also works, as you say it's a different melody to finish it.

I think Bono is great lyrically on most of those codas I've mentioned. It's something that always stood out on ATYCLB for me.

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 09:22:33 AM »
The coda on The Little Things is one of the most spine-tingling things in a U2 song ever. The way it builds in urgency and emotion and the naked rawness of the lyrics. The song is one of U2's all-time masterpieces.

Offline miracle_al

• Babyface
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 12:52:30 PM »
I 100% agree, Droo.  They absolutely hit the nail on the head with "Little Things".