Author Topic: Statue of a Gold Guitar and Other Lights of Home Discussion  (Read 241 times)

Offline DrDoom171

• Headache in a Suitcase
Statue of a Gold Guitar and Other Lights of Home Discussion
« on: December 06, 2017, 03:56:23 PM »
Does anybody know if the "gold guitar" lyric in LOH is referencing anything specific?  I had given thought to the notion it could be a reference to Grammy awards that U2 has received over the past 30 years as being part of their life Experience.  BUT, Grammy statues look like a turn-table with a large horn looking speaker on top.

Any thoughts on the meaning?

Offline popsadie

• Stateless
Re: Statue of a Gold Guitar and Other Lights of Home Discussion
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 10:37:22 AM »
I think the slight lyric change may indicate a different kind of light. It says.."Gold guitar..bright lights right in front of me"  instead of "I can see the lights in front of me" This could be part of his 'life in review' if this song is referring to nearly dying or a metaphorical near death experience. Also, it is possible that the 'gold guitar' is symbolizing an idol in his life, much like the 'golden calf' in the biblical account of Moses and Aaron leading the Israelites to the promised land.

Offline DrDoom171

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 12:16:37 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I think the slight lyric change may indicate a different kind of light. It says.."Gold guitar..bright lights right in front of me"  instead of "I can see the lights in front of me" This could be part of his 'life in review' if this song is referring to nearly dying or a metaphorical near death experience. Also, it is possible that the 'gold guitar' is symbolizing an idol in his life, much like the 'golden calf' in the biblical account of Moses and Aaron leading the Israelites to the promised land.

Good insight and good theory.

Anybody have any thoughts on the "head harder than ground" lyric.  I think this could be a literal meaning with a twist of irony.  I can't remember everything he injured in his bike accident, but I though a report stated that he was not wearing a helmet.  Am I remembering that correctly?

Offline scrittoresabino

• Stateless
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2017, 06:47:33 PM »
that verse starts with "I was born from a screaming sound" I was thinking this is talking about Rock n Roll being his calling, or when he found himself first. Then he says "One more push and I'll be born again". So a rebirth. The Gold Guitar is 2 lines later. As Popsadie, pointed out, the slight change from "I can see the lights in front of me" to "Bright lights rights in front of me" comes right after.

"I can see" is more removed versus "Bright Lights RIGHT in front of me". The latter is immediate, right there. Gold Guitar could be Rock n Roll, again coming to save him, and it does... But he is still waiting to get home. This could mean the the forces that pull him on the road and back to actual physical home. And I think it does. But another layer is that Rock n Roll and Family are both "home" for him in s spiritual sense, and they both call to him and renew his life.

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Staring at the Sun
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2017, 09:52:22 PM »
I wonder if the gold guitar is supposed to be a reference to the gold calf, and the worship of material things.

On a more mechanical plane, I feel like there has never been a U2 song so let down by its chorus. I love the verses. I think they are in the vein of Breathe and represent the best of what U2 can create with their research from the '80s and the '90s. The chorus is boring to me. I know some people think it's the best song from the album, and I understand why. The song has truth, command, and hook. But I hear energetic, charging verses and a generic chorus and it doesn't quite get there for me.