Author Topic: Great Songs That Did Not Do Well on the Charts  (Read 93 times)

Offline DrDoom171

• Headache in a Suitcase
Great Songs That Did Not Do Well on the Charts
« on: December 07, 2017, 10:57:08 AM »
I thought this would be an interesting discussion.  I've read some discussion about how U2 will never produce another classic album or song that will stand the test of time as a classic.  Multiple reasons were brought up and many of them valid.  U2 wants to be relevant, they want to make music that does well on the charts, and Bono even sings about it on this album (The Showman).  However, if the album does not rank highly in the charts, or the songs don't rank highly in the charts, it certainly does NOT mean that the album or song was a failure, or that the band has lost their touch.  I know there are two trains of thought to this whole idea and it can be debated however you want.  In this thread, I'd love to get everybody's input on songs that are now classics of sort, that have stood the test of time, but never made the charts or did very poorly on the charts.  I'm not trying to imply that any of the new U2 songs from SOE are as good as the songs below, but it doesn't take a high-ranking chart-topping song to be relevant.  Below are some songs that I know of because I googled them!  The songs below are certainly no "Macarena", or "Ice, Ice, Baby", or "Girl You Know it's True"........thank goodness! (Some #1 songs suck when looking back 20 years).  Also, feel free to include #1 songs that were horrible.   :)

"Stairway to Heaven" by Led Zeppelin was never released as a single, so it did not make the charts.
"Sympathy for the Devil" by Rolling Stones was never released as a single so it did not chart.
"A Day in the Life" by the Beatles was also never released as a single.
"London Calling" by The Clash was released as s single but never made the top 100.

Offline Larry Mullen Seniors Son

• Babyface
Re: Great Songs That Did Not Do Well on the Charts
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 11:18:55 AM »
The way I look at it is that the "Album Bands" are always what history remembers. U2, The Stones, Pink Floyd, The Police, Nirvana, etc. There was a brief time that Herman's Hermits and Monkees were bigger than the Stones. Or that any of that 80's cheese was bigger than U2.

As far as U2 songs and charts, I think it's crazy that Discotheque hit #10 (Same chart spot as One) while Beautiful Day and Vertigo were #21 and #31.

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 11:23:53 AM »
The two that spring to mind immediately when I saw the thread title are Best Friend by Foster the People and Get Out of My Way by Kylie Minogue.

Best Friend is a really catchy and funky song with a great music video. Shame it didn't go anywhere.

Get Of Out My Way is one of Kylie's all-time catchiest songs and every single person I've played it for thinks it's a great dance-pop song. Why it fizzled on the charts to be one of her least-successful is mystifying to me.

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • welp, looks like I'm not making it to 10k posts
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2017, 11:26:12 AM »
Hell, look at all of Hendrix' radio standards - of all the ones that got heavy mainstream (even AM) pop radio play back then - Purple Haze, Fire, Foxy Lady, Crosstown Traffic, All Along The Watchtower - only Watchtower cracked the Top 40. His FM radio standards, like Voodoo Chile(slight return), Dolly Dagger, and If 6 Was 9, didn't even get close to registering on the national charts. Part of was the way that sales and airplay got reported back then, but it was also that rock in general was still considered underground in the late '60s.

Getting back to the main point...I'm still amazed that Nirvana only had the 4 huge singles off of Nevermind. I thought for sure that On A Plain was going to be only second to SLTS, and that Drain You was going to be a hit as well.

Offline kango

• Desert Rose
  • I know I'm not a hopeless case.
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2017, 12:10:53 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The two that spring to mind immediately when I saw the thread title are Best Friend by Foster the People and Get Out of My Way by Kylie Minogue.

Best Friend is a really catchy and funky song with a great music video. Shame it didn't go anywhere.

Get Of Out My Way is one of Kylie's all-time catchiest songs and every single person I've played it for thinks it's a great dance-pop song. Why it fizzled on the charts to be one of her least-successful is mystifying to me.

You mean Spinning Around? It was a massive hit over here and the beginning of Kylie's 2nd wave of pop success after some more experimental releases in the 90's.

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 03:24:13 PM »
No, Get Out Of My Way from 2010's "Aphrodite."

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login