Author Topic: Your E + I setlist  (Read 2094 times)

Offline ToRontoRon

• Babyface
Your E + I setlist
« on: December 08, 2017, 04:05:32 PM »
I've been trying to think of a potential setlist for the tour, and I find it very difficult.  I can see 12 of the 13 songs from SOE being played live.  The problem is, they aren't going to have 12 songs from one album in one show.  Even Achtung Baby didn't get that during ZOOTV.  I was able to whittle it down to 10, and even that seems a bit much, but I don't know how to get any less than that.

So, what are your predictions for the show?

Here's my stab at it.

1.  The Blackout - They open up on the e stage.  This HAS to be the opener.  They can turn the lights in the arena out during the "when the lights go out" part, a la Elevation as it opened the Elevation tour.  People loved it then, and they'd love it now.  What a great, high energy way to open the show.
2.  Lights Of Home - Logistically, they could have Bono leading the crowd in the "free yourself to be yourself..." part as the other three members walk back to the main stage.
3.  The Miracle (Of Joey Ramone) - They could then do the same thing they did during I + E, with Bono making his way from the e stage to the I during the "oh, oh, oh, oh's"
4.  One of Red Flag Day or Landlady - Maybe 2/3rds of the time or so play Red Flag Day.
5.  You're The Best Thing About Me - I think this is a good spot for this one.  This could also start the more choreographed, screen section of the show.   
6.  Every Breaking Wave - After some high energy songs, you take it down a notch with a full band version of this tune, which a lot of fans, myself included, would want to hear.  It would also mean you start the show with 6 straight songs from the last two albums.  This would show confidence in your new material, a la Achtung Baby during ZOOTV.
7.  I Will Follow - After all the newer stuff, track 1 of album 1 for all the older fans who might not like the newer stuff as much.
8.  New Year's Day - Another classic for the older fans.
9.  Cedarwood Road - A newer song, but one that connects to the past after the last two golden oldies.
10.  City Of Blindling Lights - I think you can do something great with the screen here leading into a brief break.  Sort of taking the place of Until The End Of The World's spot from the I + E tour.  I love Until The End Of The World, but maybe just give the song a break for this tour.

Brief intermission

11.  Gone - Sure, it seems unlikely we'll get anything from Pop, but who ever would have thought Zooropa would show up during I + E, or Scarlet during 360?  They usually do something that will surprise you, and this would be it.  Basically taking the place of Even Better Than The Real Thing from I + E.  The colours would match perfectly, too.
12.  Summer Of Love or The Showman (Little More Better) - Now on the e stage, this would take the place of Mysterious Ways, complete with bringing a girl on stage to dance.  This could be a lot of fun.  Most nights play Summer Of Love, but mix in The Showman every fourth show or so, just so it gets played at least a bit.
13.  Angel Of Harlem or Elevation - Continuing the fun, dancey part of the show.  About a 50/50 split between the two.
14.  Get Out Of Your Own Way - An acoustic version to give Adam and Larry a chance to get back to the I stage.  During the Kendrick Lamar part that bridges this song and the next one, Bono can use the bullhorn.
15.  American Soul - This can take the place of Bullet The Blue Sky for this tour.
16.  Pride (In The Name Of Love) - The big, anthemic part of the show begins.
17.  Love Is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way - Bono can lead the crowd with the "oh, oh, oh oh, oh, oh's" at the end of the song as Streets starts up.  This would give the same effect as 40 leading into Streets during the Elevation tour, which was just epic.
18.  Where The Streets Have No Name - I've heard some people say that they won't play any Joshua Tree during this tour because of the Joshua Tree 2017 tour...  This is getting played, people.  It would be a massive mistake not to.  It's the crowning jewel of every show, and every fan, casual or die hard, is expecting it.  The casual fans especially will be very disappointed if it isn't played.  Besides, I thought I heard a quote saying that they'd never play another show again without playing this, and that's how it should be.
19.  With Or Without You - The main set closes out with a quick back to back nod to The Joshua Tree.  They might dial back the songs a bit, but having 2 in the set seems like a minimum to me.

Another brief intermission before the encore

20.  The Little Things That Give You Away - The encore starts quietly, but builds up.
21.  Beautiful Day - The energy stays up with this one.
22.  Vertigo - The Beautiful Day/Elevation/Vertigo high energy part of the Joshua Tree 2017 tour was so good.  For this one, one third of it is out, but it's sort of replaced by the last half of Little Things for basically 3 high energy songs in a row again.
23.  One - A great closing song for a show, but in this case it will have to be the penultimate one.
24.  13 (There Is A Light) - Given the connection of Songs Of Innocence and Songs Of Experience with this song, namely the Song For Someone connection, I think it's fitting to have a similar connection between the I + E and E + I tours by closing with this one.  It would just sort of bring both of those tours around full circle.

How would you guys set up the show?

Offline ToRontoRon

• Babyface
Re: Your E + I setlist
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2017, 07:59:35 PM »
Hmm, I just realized I only have 1 Achtung Baby song in the set.  That won't do.  Maybe replace Angel Of Harlem/Elevation with Even Better Than The Real Thing, or have that song or The Fly close out the 1st set and City Of Blinding Lights open the 2nd set with a 25 song set...  I dunno.  This is hard.

Offline Sonofabono

• Babyface
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2017, 08:31:20 PM »
It's hard. I'm still thinking through it. Really excited about the possibility of less JT songs, but don't know which ones go and which ones stay.

Also, as great as the IE tour/setlist was (I'm a newer U2 fan so that was my first live show and I've never seen a band use the setlist to tell a story like that; the sequence from IWF to UTTEOTW was beautiful), I think I'd be disappointed if they kept the same structure/idea and just replaced the songs.

Still chewing on all this so I don't really have a setlist to offer. One thing I think would be really cool: the string version of Lights of Home sounds a whole lot like RBW. I loved the way RBW really set the stage for the "experience" set of the IE show, and I think RBW straight into Lights of Home could be a really cool way to do that.

Sorry this isn't really a setlist. Maybe I'll come up with one in the next few days.

Offline achtung child

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2017, 11:46:15 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I've been trying to think of a potential setlist for the tour, and I find it very difficult.  I can see 12 of the 13 songs from SOE being played live.  The problem is, they aren't going to have 12 songs from one album in one show.  Even Achtung Baby didn't get that during ZOOTV.  I was able to whittle it down to 10, and even that seems a bit much, but I don't know how to get any less than that.

So, what are your predictions for the show?

Here's my stab at it.

1.  The Blackout - They open up on the e stage.  This HAS to be the opener.  They can turn the lights in the arena out during the "when the lights go out" part, a la Elevation as it opened the Elevation tour.  People loved it then, and they'd love it now.  What a great, high energy way to open the show.
2.  Lights Of Home - Logistically, they could have Bono leading the crowd in the "free yourself to be yourself..." part as the other three members walk back to the main stage.
3.  The Miracle (Of Joey Ramone) - They could then do the same thing they did during I + E, with Bono making his way from the e stage to the I during the "oh, oh, oh, oh's"
4.  One of Red Flag Day or Landlady - Maybe 2/3rds of the time or so play Red Flag Day.
5.  You're The Best Thing About Me - I think this is a good spot for this one.  This could also start the more choreographed, screen section of the show.   
6.  Every Breaking Wave - After some high energy songs, you take it down a notch with a full band version of this tune, which a lot of fans, myself included, would want to hear.  It would also mean you start the show with 6 straight songs from the last two albums.  This would show confidence in your new material, a la Achtung Baby during ZOOTV.
7.  I Will Follow - After all the newer stuff, track 1 of album 1 for all the older fans who might not like the newer stuff as much.
8.  New Year's Day - Another classic for the older fans.
9.  Cedarwood Road - A newer song, but one that connects to the past after the last two golden oldies.
10.  City Of Blindling Lights - I think you can do something great with the screen here leading into a brief break.  Sort of taking the place of Until The End Of The World's spot from the I + E tour.  I love Until The End Of The World, but maybe just give the song a break for this tour.

Brief intermission

11.  Gone - Sure, it seems unlikely we'll get anything from Pop, but who ever would have thought Zooropa would show up during I + E, or Scarlet during 360?  They usually do something that will surprise you, and this would be it.  Basically taking the place of Even Better Than The Real Thing from I + E.  The colours would match perfectly, too.
12.  Summer Of Love or The Showman (Little More Better) - Now on the e stage, this would take the place of Mysterious Ways, complete with bringing a girl on stage to dance.  This could be a lot of fun.  Most nights play Summer Of Love, but mix in The Showman every fourth show or so, just so it gets played at least a bit.
13.  Angel Of Harlem or Elevation - Continuing the fun, dancey part of the show.  About a 50/50 split between the two.
14.  Get Out Of Your Own Way - An acoustic version to give Adam and Larry a chance to get back to the I stage.  During the Kendrick Lamar part that bridges this song and the next one, Bono can use the bullhorn.
15.  American Soul - This can take the place of Bullet The Blue Sky for this tour.
16.  Pride (In The Name Of Love) - The big, anthemic part of the show begins.
17.  Love Is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way - Bono can lead the crowd with the "oh, oh, oh oh, oh, oh's" at the end of the song as Streets starts up.  This would give the same effect as 40 leading into Streets during the Elevation tour, which was just epic.
18.  Where The Streets Have No Name - I've heard some people say that they won't play any Joshua Tree during this tour because of the Joshua Tree 2017 tour...  This is getting played, people.  It would be a massive mistake not to.  It's the crowning jewel of every show, and every fan, casual or die hard, is expecting it.  The casual fans especially will be very disappointed if it isn't played.  Besides, I thought I heard a quote saying that they'd never play another show again without playing this, and that's how it should be.
19.  With Or Without You - The main set closes out with a quick back to back nod to The Joshua Tree.  They might dial back the songs a bit, but having 2 in the set seems like a minimum to me.

Another brief intermission before the encore

20.  The Little Things That Give You Away - The encore starts quietly, but builds up.
21.  Beautiful Day - The energy stays up with this one.
22.  Vertigo - The Beautiful Day/Elevation/Vertigo high energy part of the Joshua Tree 2017 tour was so good.  For this one, one third of it is out, but it's sort of replaced by the last half of Little Things for basically 3 high energy songs in a row again.
23.  One - A great closing song for a show, but in this case it will have to be the penultimate one.
24.  13 (There Is A Light) - Given the connection of Songs Of Innocence and Songs Of Experience with this song, namely the Song For Someone connection, I think it's fitting to have a similar connection between the I + E and E + I tours by closing with this one.  It would just sort of bring both of those tours around full circle.

How would you guys set up the show?

I think you're onto something here.  I posted a somewhat similar list elsewhere, though yours is more fleshed out.  I think it's very possible they'll make use of the light bulb again.  It would be perfect to have it turned back on at the end of 13.  I don't see Joey Ramone getting played again, and I think it might be worth guessing COBL won't get played.  If it does, I can't see it being played in that spot.  But overall, your narrative makes sense. 

Offline ToRontoRon

• Babyface
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2017, 06:24:41 AM »
It's hard. I'm still thinking through it. Really excited about the possibility of less JT songs, but don't know which ones go and which ones stay.

Also, as great as the IE tour/setlist was (I'm a newer U2 fan so that was my first live show and I've never seen a band use the setlist to tell a story like that; the sequence from IWF to UTTEOTW was beautiful), I think I'd be disappointed if they kept the same structure/idea and just replaced the songs.

Still chewing on all this so I don't really have a setlist to offer. One thing I think would be really cool: the string version of Lights of Home sounds a whole lot like RBW. I loved the way RBW really set the stage for the "experience" set of the IE show, and I think RBW straight into Lights of Home could be a really cool way to do that.

Sorry this isn't really a setlist. Maybe I'll come up with one in the next few days.

Yeah, I wouldn't want a song for song remake of what they did on I + E either, but I'm pretty sure I heard they're using the same stage layout, meaning the screen and e stage will be in use again.  Maybe this time instead of one big story on the screen they just sort of use it sporadically throughout the night.  Your Raised By Wolves into the string version of Lights Of Home idea is intriguing.

Offline ToRontoRon

• Babyface
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2017, 06:35:16 AM »

I think you're onto something here.  I posted a somewhat similar list elsewhere, though yours is more fleshed out.  I think it's very possible they'll make use of the light bulb again.  It would be perfect to have it turned back on at the end of 13.  I don't see Joey Ramone getting played again, and I think it might be worth guessing COBL won't get played.  If it does, I can't see it being played in that spot.  But overall, your narrative makes sense. 

I think using the light bulb again is a great idea.  Again, it would be another connection between the two tours, since the two albums are obviously linked.

I think The Miracle will be played again.  It seemed like a decent crowd pleaser to me, and the singalong aspect of it is a good way to get the crowd into the show early on.  My guess is it returns, but we'll see.

City Of Blinding Lights might get the axe for this tour, but I hope not.  I love the song, but I would want them to do more with it than just some blinking poles.  I think this would be a good song for the band to be in the screen for, just like Invisible from the I + E tour.  I think they can come up with some great effects with bright, flashing lights. 

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • Nashville, Montreal 1 & 2
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2017, 08:18:03 AM »
Drop some JT stuff

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • Nashville, Montreal 1 & 2
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2017, 12:43:40 PM »
Play MoS and Little Things as a duo

Offline miracle_al

• Wanderer
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2017, 01:34:52 PM »
Thanks for putting this together.  At first blush, the encore set seems a bit long.  For some reason, I don't think they'll play "One" or "Vertigo" on this tour, at least not initially.  Also, I hope you're right about "WOWY" and "Streets" staying in the set.  Those songs are indispensable, in my opinion.  Let me think about your set list a bit more and report back.

Offline U2alwaysforever

• Staring at the Sun
  • "And you can dream, so dream out loud."
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2017, 08:50:16 PM »
Joshua Tree 2017 style for the new record, play the whole SOE album. I know this won't happen... so ideally... rotate some of the songs for the acoustic b stage, really make an effort to play every song, and really hope to hear some Songs Of Innocence, and less likely, Pop. There's just too many good decades now to have the setlist to fit everything we want to hear, I want to hear only SOI and SOE but for a brand new fan seeing them the first time I'd hate for them not to play some JT/AB.

Offline EdgeUK8_my_mind

• Desert Rose
  • I need you to elevate me here
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2017, 08:53:10 PM »
This was tougher than I expected.  My prediction is that they will be inspired by the JT30 tour and will play parts of SoE in sequence.  I doubt we'll get the whole thing, but the first 5 almost seem like a natural progression and the last ones seem like a great ending.

Music over intercom: Love Is All We Have Left (instead of playing it, I think this is perfect for the setup)
1)   Lights Of Home (sets the stage - I shouldn't be here 'cause I should be dead)
2)   You're The Best Thing About Me
3)   Get Out Of Your Own Way
4)   American Soul
5)   Beautiful Day (transition to some crowd favorites)
6)   Elevation
7)   Vertigo
8.)   1 in rotation from the middle of SoE (Summer Of Love/Red Flag Day/The Showman/Landlady)
9)   The Little Things That Give You Away OR Ordinary Love
10)   Pride
11)   City of Blinding Lights
12)   Until the End of the World

e-stage
13)   Mysterious Ways
14)   Desire OR All I Want is You
15)   Every Breaking Wave

back to catwalk and main stage
16)   With or Without You
17)   Sunday Bloody Sunday
18)   Bad (MoS extended snippet)
19)   Streets

Encore
20)   The Blackout (I put it at the start of the encore instead of the start of the show)
21)   Ultraviolet (brings back the light bulb from i&e)
22)   Love Is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way (has to be in the encore - this will be HUGE live)
23)   One
24)   13 (There Is A Light) (that with the Song For Someone built in snippet brings it all together to close it out)

War 1 song
TUF 2 songs
TJT 2 songs
R&H 1 song
AB 4 songs
ATYCLB 2 songs
HTDAAB 2 songs
SoI 1 song
SoE 9 songs per night, not including intro music
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 08:59:09 PM by EdgeUK8_my_mind »

Offline Allhorizonbomb

• Wanderer
  • Self proclaimed biggest U2 fan in New York State
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2017, 12:22:00 AM »
Play MoS and Little Things as a duo

Oh don't tempt me with that thought.

Offline miracle_al

• Wanderer
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2017, 12:27:58 PM »
I hope EdgeUK is right!  That would be an epic show!  In a perfect world, I'd trade a couple of the SOE songs for SOI songs, but I'd gladly take what was laid out.

Offline hollywoodswag

• Stateless
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2017, 01:04:54 PM »
I'm going to try to balance realism with my wishlist:

1) The Blackout
2) You're the Best Thing About Me
3) Song for Someone/13 blend
4) All I Want Is You (Walk to the Water snippet)
5) A Sort of Homecoming
6) City of Blinding Lights
7) Elevation OR Beautiful Day
8) Every Breaking Wave
9) Get Out of Your Own Way
*Intermission/Kendrick Lamar interlude to e-stage portion)
10) American Soul
11) The Fly OR EBTTRT
12) Zoo Station
13) Mysterious Ways
14) Dirty Day OR Stay
15) Gone
16) Last Night on Earth
17) Moment of Surrender OR Unknown Caller
18) Bad
19) The Little Things That Give You Away

20) Where the Streets Have No Name
21) Electric Co. OR Out of Control OR I Will Follow
22) Gloria OR I Fall Down OR I Threw a Brick
23) New Years Day OR SBS
24) Vertigo
25) Love Is Bigger Than Anything in Its Way

I know this contains a good bit of wishful thinking, but it has something from every album and maintains the SOI and SOE focus, along with themes that tie in with each other.

Offline Number1U2fan

• Party Girl/Boy
  • "we're one..but we're not the same..."
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2017, 03:39:47 PM »
1  The Blackout
2  Gloria/I Will Follow (rotating on cities with multiple nights)
3  The Miracle Of Joey Ramone
4  You're The Best Thing About Me
5  Song For Someone
6  Last Night On Earth
7  Beautiful Day
8  Vertigo
9  Lights Of Home
10 Get Out Of Your Own Way
11 American Soul

**e stage**
12 Sunday Bloody Sunday
13 New Years Day
14 Little Things That Give You Away
15 Bad

**encore main stage**

16 One
17 Where The Streets Have No Name
18  13 (There Is A Light)

**encore II **

19 Every Breaking Wave (done on e-stage)

(Main Stage)
20 City Of Blinding Lights
21 All I Want Is You
22 Love Is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way
**most nights show over**

23 Out Of Control **on certain nights out of the blue**

Going with The Blackout as the opener. I think they'll start like the Elevation Tour did with the house lights on and when Bono hits in the last chorus "When the lights go out...." the house lights will go out and crowd goes kookoo....OR at the very end of the song when its just Bono singing the verse ..Lights go out...lights go out..the minute he finishes the lights will go out and they rip into either Gloria or I Will Follow to keep the crowd pogoing! HA!