Author Topic: Your E + I setlist  (Read 2359 times)

Offline A_Fly_On_The_Wall

• Deep In the Heart
  • I Am Made Of All That I'm Afraid Of...
Re: Your E + I setlist
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2017, 02:35:02 PM »
Main Stage
Intro: Love Is All We Have Left - (played over PA system as band walks out onto the stage)
1. The Blackout
2. The Fly
3. Until The End Of The World
4. New Year's Day
5. You're The Best Thing About Me
6. Get Out Of Your Own Way
7. American Soul
8. I Will Follow / Gloria / The Electric Co. (will rotate from show to show)
9. Sunday Bloody Sunday
10. Red Flag Day

E-Stage
11. Even Better Than The Real Thing
12. Last Night On Earth
13. Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
14. Staring At The Sun - (acoustic, Bono & Edge)
15. Every Breaking Wave - (piano version)

Main Stage
16. Beautiful Day
17. Vertigo
18. Elevation
19. Lights Of Home
20. Where The Streets Have No Name

Encore 1 - Main Stage
21. Exit
22. City Of Blinding Lights
23. Pride (In The Name Of Love)
24. Love Is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way

Encore 2 - E-Stage
25. One
26. With Or Without You
27. The Little Things That Give You Away
28. "40"

Offline georgemccauley

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2017, 05:58:58 PM »
Happy new year everyone. What are the chances of having Bad in the setlist on a regular basis on the tour this year? Given that they've played it on 90% of the shows on JT30, they could be forgiven to give it a break for a while

How often if at all can we expect to hear Bad on the EI tour 2018?

Offline georgemccauley

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2017, 07:23:21 PM »
Definitely think this tour is truly the best chance in years to fully rotate each night and give us a varied set list. We havenít had that in years.

But as we know U2 we should not get our hopes up and expect the formulaic approach of a static set list, it will more than likely be a solid set but I am hoping for some more changes in the set compared to TJT30 last year.

Also is frighteningly obvious that they will perform Get Out Of Your Own Way and American Soul back to back with the spoken part inbetween. Surprised no one has really brought that up yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline angelofharlem4u2

• Babyface
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2017, 10:47:51 PM »
[color=pink]We can expect for them to play almost all of the tracks from SOE.

The Blackout (The Opener?)
American Soul
You're The Best Thing About Me
Get Out Of Your Own Way
Red Flag Day

SOI
Miracle of Joey Ramone
Cedarwood Road
Song for Someone
Iris
Raised By Wolves

Would like to hear:
Love and Peace Or Else
Kite
Staring at the Sun
Seconds
Angel of Harlem
Ordinary Love
Lights of Home with orchestra as the closer

[/color]

Offline steve70

• Wanderer
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2018, 11:44:33 AM »
I really like hollywoodswag's list. The thing that I'd want is significat variation in the set(order)each night like Pearl Jam does. I know that's not likely though.

Offline Sonofabono

• Babyface
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2018, 09:09:19 PM »
Followed a lot of the SOI breakdown: simple, rocking opening act; big heavy thematic progression at the front; intermission; hits; back to heavy themes to close; encore. Pretty set on most of Set 1/Act 2. Sometimes I just put stuff in different places because I know they're gonna play it but don't know where (e.g., YTBTAM, Little Things).

Set 1, Act 1: Main stage, lights down
1. Miracle
2. Elevation or Vertigo
3. YTBTAM
4. Red Flag Day
5. S4S-->

Set 1, Act 2: Big thematic set
6. GOOYOW-->
7. American Soul
8. LIAWHL (snippet) -->
9. Blackout
10. Gone
11. RBW -->
12. Lights of Home
13. Little Things

-INTERMISSION/SET BREAK-

Set 2, Act 3: Rotating set of hits and acoustic songs on the E-Stage
14-17. Don't really know what songs go here, just some general ideas. Some fixed SOE songs. Rotating hits. R+H/AB hits, Stuck in a Moment, Kite, Sweetest Thing, acoustic Pop songs, etc.

Set 2, Act 4: Back to heavy thematic songs
18. Summer of Love-->
19. Please-->
20. Breathe-->
21. COBL
22. Beautiful Day
23. Love is Bigger
24. One

Encore
25. Streets
26. All I Want Is You
27. 13-->
28. 40

Offline Argo

• Party Girl/Boy
  • I Am Here
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2018, 01:38:24 AM »
Will be interesting to see what SOI songs survive. Some of them are pretty personal eg Iris. I doubt Iris or Song For Someone will be played again, especially with Best Thing (and hopefully Landlady) around now to be the ode to Ali for this tour. Doubt that Raised By Wolves would survive also given how they used it and SBS last time. So, that probably leaves Miracle, EBW, Cedarwood and maybe Troubles and Invisible but probably not even as regulars.

As for SOE, I think Love is Bigger is a clear closer. Best Thing, Own Way, Blackout, Little Things and American Soul seem likely staples, probably also with Lights of Home. Maybe also one or both of RFD and Showman. I don't like Showman much but think it will work well live and Bono will want to do it. Hopefully Book of Your Heart gets a few cameos like Crystal Ballroom did. Could use Love Is All We Have Left as a transition into Streets.

Offline Zoostation07

• Babyface
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2018, 04:05:36 PM »
I think the prospect of this tour sees U2 in an unusual place for a number of reasons. What I am most curious about is the 'wow' factor and where that comes from. U2 has looked to invent and innovate with each tour, and each tour has that 'wow' moment - be it the sheer scale (360), the theatrics (i&e and the 'cage' walkway) or the beauty - JT30 (when the screen came on, that was just gorgeous). I don't see where that is going to come from if e&i is going to use the same staging as i&e - for all intents and purposes it will be the same show with different songs. The problem as I see it is that as good as i&e was the cage was a bit of a one trick pony - it worked fantastically with Cedarwood Road and UTTEOTW but seeing it utilised in the same way - which is sort of inevitable if the staging remains the same is going to be a bit like deja vu.

I fear that the 'concept' of the show(s) - both i&e and e&i has the potential to overshadow the music and the sense of occasion and it doesn't leave much room for any deviation from the norm in terms of the setlist choices. I saw three shows on i&e and one on JT but my missus who came to one i&e and to the JT show said that the lack of concept on the latter - just playing the songs - was what made the show so special - and I completely agree - the JT show had much more emotional heft than i&e did - because a) let's be honest the songs are better and b) they weren't having to sell a concept.

I think perhaps one of the reasons they are struggling to sell the tour in the US (other than saturation and making the purchase of tickets almost impossible!) is that there is no differentiation and the casual fan is maybe thinking I've seen this before. And I have to say even as a huge fan I am not fussed about seeing that staging and show again and I'd much rather they parked the i&e/e&i concept and just played the songs - how good was U2 at the BBC? It was fantastic - they sounded wonderful - and there were no bells and whistles (just a massive orchestra!).

The band is often on record as saying, especially in recent years, that it is 'about the songs'. I suppose my hope is that they have more faith in the songs and their audience - we don't need to be spoon fed all of the 'extras', we each have our own stories and memories associated with the songs and i think the majority of us would be over the moon if they played those songs - and all of those ones they don't play - without too much of the rest (cages, animations, stories, concept etc.).

To the topic. As per any U2 album, they have thought about which ones are going to be played live and they've spoken in the recent promo campaign about playing some (or all) of these songs live as a band in the recording process of SOE in order to hone them. I'm guessing that every show will get (in album order) Love Is All We Have Left (perhaps similar to how Zooropa was used on i&e), Lights of Home, YTBTAM, GOOYOW, American Soul (in the US at least) and LIBTAIIW. I think then Little Things, Blackout and 13 could be fairly regular and then it's a toss-up as to what they choose out of Summer of Love, Red Flag Day, The Showman and Landlady - I'm sure they'll be a few of these in the opening sets but they'll no doubt get dropped as the tour goes on and they work out what works/doesn't work. I think I remember hearing/reading that they would revisit some of the SOI songs - if that's the case I'd imagine it would be some of the songs that were not regularly played, perhaps California and the Troubles, plus EBW which is clearly an important song for them. I think Ordinary Love might find a place in the set - again it appears to be an important song for the band (Bono at least) so now that it is 'on' an album (at least on the special edition anyway) it might get a few more airings.

When they were doing the promo for JT30 I think it was Adam who was talking about why the shows began at SBS and not IWF for example and he said it was because they'd covered that bit in the i&e shows with the opening sequence which would suggest that the earlier albums will be lightly picked from on e&i. It would be interesting if, and again I think Edge might have said something similar, they were to continue the theme and only play post JT songs on this tour. I can't see that happening - I don't think they'll drop SBS, Pride or Streets for example but a show that pulled from post JT records would be brave. However - there is the 'concept'. I think U2 have a pretty clear idea about what they 'do' and what their role is which can be summed up as 'there is no them there is only us' - it's a universal message which I think means that anything more 'personal' - i.e. a lot of AB and Pop - unless it can be made universal (One) is probably not going to fit with their theme and message of the SOE songs and where they are 'at' as a band.

So in terms of the rest of the set...All I Want Is You, One, Stay, Stuck In A Moment, Kite... that feels like the right sort of tone...plus the numbers they'll always do BD, Vertigo probably Elevation (groan!).

Offline U2craig

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2018, 06:12:23 AM »
Above and beyond the new songs I would love to see them ditch most of the same classics (not all though) that they have been playing live for years and bring back some from htdaab & atyclb.  Some great ones there!

Offline dezmaas

• Stateless
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2018, 11:55:17 PM »
I would definitely love to to see The Fly come back as a full kick ass version. Bono canít play guitar of course but he didnít play on the Elevation Tour version and that was awesome.

Offline the_chief

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2018, 01:43:06 AM »
Don't care, just want Electric Co.

Offline chrwalli

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2018, 06:23:55 AM »
I really hope they play Exit on this tour. Maybe the best one from the JT tour. So dark and powerful.

Offline jocu2

• Babyface
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2018, 06:59:05 AM »
GOOYOW and BD in the same show? They're too similar for me. Given the choice, BD all day long.

JT & Achtung Baby need to make up at least 8 songs for the tour to appeal to the casual fans.

Offline PROJ2823

• Refugee
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2018, 11:06:33 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
GOOYOW and BD in the same show? They're too similar for me. Given the choice, BD all day long.

JT & Achtung Baby need to make up at least 8 songs for the tour to appeal to the casual fans.
Casual fans should have gone to JT 2017. It is due time for the band to ditch some of the classics in favor of new songs and deep cuts.
Let this be a tour for the die hards.
(considering prices, I expect it to be).

Offline georgemccauley

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2018, 05:09:48 PM »
Can we get Bad again this tour? :)