Author Topic: Likely any North American cities added?  (Read 1312 times)

Offline Swedescott

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Likely any North American cities added?
« on: December 08, 2017, 10:41:53 PM »
Do you think it is likely U2 will add any additional cities before the European tour begins next year?  And if so, what are your best guesses based on your experience?

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • Nashville, Montreal 1 & 2, NYC 3, Belfast 1,2
Re: Likely any North American cities added?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 08:14:30 AM »
Toronto

Offline podiumboy

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2017, 09:03:30 AM »
All rumors seem to point to the European leg beginning in September.  It seems unlikely that they'll take off July and August.  Somebody on interference hypothesized that maybe they would be adding more NA dates in July, and then take off August.  There are definitely a bunch of cities they skimmed over.  The other theory was that Australian arenas in July/August, but I don't think this seems likely. 

Offline trainfanjacob8

• Babyface
  • Worst things in the world are justified by belief
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2017, 02:12:20 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Toronto

I think they will too.  I can't imagine U2 skipping over Toronto.  Maybe announce dates in the new year around the time they announce the European shows?

Offline trainfanjacob8

• Babyface
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2017, 02:15:12 PM »
All rumors seem to point to the European leg beginning in September.  It seems unlikely that they'll take off July and August.  Somebody on interference hypothesized that maybe they would be adding more NA dates in July, and then take off August.  There are definitely a bunch of cities they skimmed over.  The other theory was that Australian arenas in July/August, but I don't think this seems likely.

That makes sense.  I can't see them taking two months off in the summer.  I predict they will add more North American dates in July; take August off; September/October/early November in Europe; and late-November/December in Australia/New Zealand.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 02:18:19 PM by trainfanjacob8 »

Offline kseguin

• Wanderer
  • Montreal, Newark, Dublin
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2017, 03:17:14 PM »
I don't think they will add any new cities to the end of the tour.  It will end at the end of June.  I do see a couple more dates being added in between the existing dates.  There are still a lot of gaps.  The largest being between Atlanta and Montreal, 8 days.  This is liekly open for Toronto.  The issue wuth Toronto is the availabilty of the Air Canada Centre, where they would play.  The end of May, beginning of June is the end of the NHL and NBA seasons.  With both Toronto teams likely to make the playoffs, this plays a role in the availablilty of the ACC.  The ACC is owned by the same compny that owns the two teams, they would have first rights on the ACC.  Likely Toronto will be late addition to the schedule once the playoff picture is determined in the spring.

Offline trainfanjacob8

• Babyface
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2017, 06:18:54 PM »
I don't think they will add any new cities to the end of the tour.  It will end at the end of June.  I do see a couple more dates being added in between the existing dates.  There are still a lot of gaps.  The largest being between Atlanta and Montreal, 8 days.  This is liekly open for Toronto.  The issue wuth Toronto is the availabilty of the Air Canada Centre, where they would play.  The end of May, beginning of June is the end of the NHL and NBA seasons.  With both Toronto teams likely to make the playoffs, this plays a role in the availablilty of the ACC.  The ACC is owned by the same compny that owns the two teams, they would have first rights on the ACC.  Likely Toronto will be late addition to the schedule once the playoff picture is determined in the spring.

Good points.  I agree, that makes sense for a Toronto show or two in between the Atlanta and Montreal shows.

Offline Yaro

• Stateless
  • Everything you know is wrong
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2017, 08:22:30 AM »
Do you think it is likely U2 will add any additional cities before the European tour begins next year?  And if so, what are your best guesses based on your experience?

I will bet anything Detroit will be added..they just finished here what they claim is the most entertaining and advanced indoor arena in the world..cost close to $$ 1 B (billion)..already Paul McCartney and others performed since finished in october..there is just no way they d by pass Detroit..what I am worried about Joshua tree tour selling out 70+ thousand stadiums and ticket demand is going to be incredible..impossible

Offline EdgeUK8_my_mind

• Desert Rose
  • I need you to elevate me here
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2017, 07:11:02 PM »
A scan of Ticketmaster shows LOTS of regular seats available (not only resales, but standard tickets) for most dates.  There are always the expensive ones available, but also plenty in the $70-120 range at many arenas.  My guess is that the JT stadium tour met the demand for many casual fans.  Thus we see 4 shows in the NYC area, whereas i&e had 8.

I would guess that they will try to add arenas in the gaps, especially at cities that they didn't visit recently, or ones that usually sell well.  I would guess Toronto, Vancouver, Seattle (or Portland), somewhere in Texas, somewhere in Florida, and maybe Denver.  After taking July off, it would be Europe in Aug/Sept and Australia/NZ/Japan in November.  They just hit Central and S. America, so I would not expect them to go back there.

Offline kj011

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2017, 03:54:12 AM »
Damn.. will U2 just skip over the entire Pacific Northwest? It could be the lack of suitable indoor stadiums in the area but it is dispiriting to go to U2.com and see the same city lineup again and again...

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • Nashville, Montreal 1 & 2, NYC 3, Belfast 1,2
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2017, 07:02:49 AM »
Damn.. will U2 just skip over the entire Pacific Northwest? It could be the lack of suitable indoor stadiums in the area but it is dispiriting to go to U2.com and see the same city lineup again and again...

Well, they just played two stadium gigs in the Northwest in 2017.

Offline kj011

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2017, 03:23:46 AM »

Well, they just played two stadium gigs in the Northwest in 2017.

Well those were all outdoor venues I am sure. I was at one of them.

Offline mcpaulson22

• Babyface
  • Ill see you again when the stars fall from the sky
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2018, 07:47:18 PM »
I heard a rumour from a good friend who knows a 'guy' that works for Live Nation.
Supposedly they are going to add 5 dates on the back of the tour, including Salt Lake City, UT, Denver, CO and Vancouver, BC.

It's just a rumour. But it sounds plausible. U2 haven't played SLC or Denver for a long while and U2 has a big Utah following (where I live).

Offline opening night

• Wanderer
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2018, 08:47:23 AM »
At this stage of tour scheduling it's very unlikely that any dates are added. I mean ticket demand is low, a European tour is ahead of them.

Denver had two shows in 2015, tickets sales were weak. I was surprised that SLC didn't get any shows for 2018.

Offline Swedescott

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2018, 04:41:06 PM »
Full transparency, I live in Denver and my selfish hope for new dates was here in Colorado.  I know that ticket sales were sluggish for the 2015 SOI tour, but I was at both nights and they eventually filled the arena.  I know that may have been through giveaways and lowered last-minute prices, but I looked back at my pictures and it was packed (one night I was in lower bowl, the other GA). 

My fingers are crossed for at least one more date.  And, of course, blind, irrational optimism they play Red Rocks again one day.