Author Topic: Good and Bad "Halves" of Songs  (Read 331 times)

Offline miracle_al

• Stateless
Good and Bad "Halves" of Songs
« on: December 11, 2017, 10:39:29 AM »
As I was driving to work today, I started thinking about songs that I never listen to because those songs contain a weak or unusual first or second half, which compromises the listening experience for me.  For example, "Breathe" by U2 has a weak 1st half (IMHO) but a strong second half, while "Wake Up" by Arcade Fire has a strong 1st half, but a strange 2nd half as it veers into unexpected territory.  I'd love to hear if anyone else thinks about songs this way, and which songs' flaws are too much to overcome. 

Offline DrDoom171

• Intellectual Tortoise
Re: Good and Bad "Halves" of Songs
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017, 09:25:22 AM »
I know what you mean, Al.  I agree 100% on Wake Up by Arcade Fire.  The first half of that song makes it one of my favorite songs for this century, however, after the song changes tone and rhythm, it sounds too much like a circus performer's version of Iggy Pop's Lust for Life.  Just an odd way to redirect that song.

I sort of fee the same way about The Little Things that Give You Away.  It starts off slow and sounds a lot like a muted, slower version of Moment of Surrender, but the second half then takes off with the grandiose music and voice.  I don't dislike the first half, but I do love the 2nd half.

Lots of songs start slow and build up, so the second half of songs are usually going to be the better half, IMO.  A classic example for me would be Stairway to Heaven.  I don't much care for the slow, calm sound of the first part of the song, but really like the second part with the upbeat sound and heavier guitar.

Offline miracle_al

• Stateless
Re: Good and Bad "Halves" of Songs
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 12:00:44 PM »
I laughed out loud when I read your assessment of the second half of "Wake Up"!  Well done.