Author Topic: When did this forums opinion start changing on NLOTH?  (Read 1163 times)

Online Lebowski

• Stateless
Re: When did this forums opinion start changing on NLOTH?
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2017, 06:02:27 PM »
Although I always thought Get On Your Boots and Stand Up Comedy were not good, I liked the album quite a bit when it came out, but I think part of that was the timing, as I had taken an exodus from U2 for quite a few years and No Line... came out right around the time when I was getting back into them in a big way, so the excitement of a new album made it seem better than it was.

Not that I think it is a bad album now or anything, but the sound of it makes it nearly unlistenable (it is too muddy to the point where it sounds like the music is suffocating), and the only songs I really listen to from it anymore are Magnificent and Unknown Caller.

Offline lightmyway92

• Wanderer
  • On Borderland We Run
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2017, 05:58:35 AM »
In my opinion, "No Line on the Horizon" would have been a truly outstanding album (I still like it, though) if "Boots" and "Crazy Tonight" and (to a lesser degree) "Stand Up Comedy" were left off.  For me, the first three songs are excellent, especially the epic "Moment of Surrender."  I even like "Unknown Caller" to a degree, although I know some don't care for it.  I have really grown to appreciate the more moody, ambient and experimental tracks like "White as Snow," "Cedars of Lebanon" and "Fez."  "Breathe" is a truly energetic and upbeat song that I really like a lot. 

Offline U2pian

• Babyface
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2017, 10:40:20 PM »
I think this album is very good, even underrated, but somewhat of a near miss. Interesting that it's the last Eno-Lanois record. I remember a Rolling Stone article where Eno in particular was pushing them in a more experimental direction and seemed disappointed with a few of their choices. Ultimately it feels compromised by the desire for a hit, bringing in other producers, and the already noted middle 3 that bog the album down--Boots, Crazy, Stand Up Comedy.

The first four and an underrated second half (White as Snow and Cedars of Lebanon are fantastic) make it worthwhile. Moment of Surrender should enter canon of all-timers. But Boots has aged poorly and those 3 songs derail the ethos of the album. I would have loved a more carefree and confident approach, in which they go full-bore experimental and knock the whole thing out in Morocco with Eno and Lanois without worrying about a hit. But since feeling traumatized by the reception of Pop, U2 don't seem willing to do so.

Offline hollywoodswag

• Stateless
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2017, 03:52:29 AM »
I used to detest this album. I couldn't find one song on it that I liked. Of course, back then I'd give songs about 30 seconds to interest me, and then move on if it didn't happen. Once I started playing their albums all the way through, I gave this one a number of chances. Unknown Caller and Magnificent hooked me at first, and then even songs that I used to loathe (the title track and GOYB) became some of my favorites. Now the album is in my top 5 of all of their work. Even if there aren't as many show-stoppers as there are on some of the other albums, on the whole, this album is by far one of the band's most consistently good ones.

Offline pan360

• Babyface
  • The universe is beautiful but cold
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2017, 05:57:47 AM »
I cannot remember feeling such an ecstasy with a U2 album like the one I felt when hearing the first four songs of No Line for the first time…. Amazing… atmospheric… and then Crazy came and destroyed the magic, which returned with Fez. I do not consider Crazy and Boots as crappy songs, but I do enjoy more the remixes and live versions of them. As far as Stand Up Comedy is concerned I think I voted it on this forum as one of the worst U2 songs ever. No Line is still one of my favorites…. And I do hope that Songs of Ascent will be released, produced by Eno / Lanois.

Offline Dali

• Child of Grace
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2017, 03:27:21 PM »
It took me a while to get into NLOTH. After the 1st listen in a store, I knew I could wait some more. Later, the album grew on me. I don't like the medley nature of "Fez/Being Born" that even echoes "Get On Your Boots". But that is just me because I don't like medleys in general.

It has taken me years to appreciate "Unknown Caller" and to understand the omission of "Winter" which would have been way too dark lyrically to fit onto this album.

I've loved "Crazy Tonight" from the very first moment, and "Stand Up Comedy", too, even though I still get the feeling that the latter's lyrics might have been developed during the sessions for Spiderman. If so, it's the best thing to come out of Spiderman which I now consider to be the nadir of U2's career.

Also, the title track NLOTH is amazing, and "White As Snow" is pretty good, too. "Cedars" works well if you're in the mood for it.

"Magnificient" is great until you hear a snippet from how the song sounded in the Fez sessions which were filmed by Daniel Lanois. The song sounds much more powerful there than on the album. They have chosen the wrong mix, sadly.

"Moment Of Surrender" sounds very Lanoisish and that bass part seems like out of Darryl Johnson's rulebook. Also, upon close listening, the solo seems to be cut short. These are minor complaints that cannot destroy a great song.

Even though "Get On Your Boots" is merely a demo tape for the live version of the same song which they have played on the tour, it's got a pretty good song at its core. Unfortunately, it's this unfinished version that is now saved for future listening. Initially, I liked the song a lot but it quickly got on my nerves. It has since recovered from that.

This leaves "Breathe" which I still believe to be an HTDAAB outtake. I didn't like the song when it came out and don't like it now.

My opinion on NLOTH hasn't changed much over time. But it did change when SOI came out because, despite sounding more like U2 than the later, it pales in comparison on songcraft alone.

Offline U2pian

• Babyface
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2017, 10:21:20 PM »
What if you replaced Boots, Stand Up Comedy, and I'll Go Crazy if I Don't Go Crazy Tonight with Soon, Winter, and Diorama (the original Eno-influenced song that U2 completely reworked into Crazy). Granted, who's heard Diorama, but I'm banking that Eno's version was superior. :)

This seems like a much stronger line-up:

1. Soon
2. No Line on the Horizon
3. Magnificent
4. Moment of Surrender
5. Unknown Caller
6. Diorama
7. Fez/Being Born
8. Breathe
9. White As Snow
10. Winter
11. Cedars of Lebanon

Offline Yukona [The League of Extraordinary Bonopeople]

• Staring at the Sun
  • too much is not enough
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2017, 09:06:12 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I think this album is very good, even underrated, but somewhat of a near miss. Interesting that it's the last Eno-Lanois record. I remember a Rolling Stone article where Eno in particular was pushing them in a more experimental direction and seemed disappointed with a few of their choices. Ultimately it feels compromised by the desire for a hit, bringing in other producers, and the already noted middle 3 that bog the album down--Boots, Crazy, Stand Up Comedy.

The first four and an underrated second half (White as Snow and Cedars of Lebanon are fantastic) make it worthwhile. Moment of Surrender should enter canon of all-timers. But Boots has aged poorly and those 3 songs derail the ethos of the album. I would have loved a more carefree and confident approach, in which they go full-bore experimental and knock the whole thing out in Morocco with Eno and Lanois without worrying about a hit. But since feeling traumatized by the reception of Pop, U2 don't seem willing to do so.

It's been quite consistent since NLOTH that every album has a Lillywhitewashed trio of songs that are transparent ploys for the radio. On SOI and SOE it's not quite as apparent because those albums are more accessible, but Boots--Crazy--Comedy stick out like a sore thumb.

I'm thinking NLOTH was also damaged by how quickly the social and political climate changed around it too. There was an interview around the time of SOI when Bono acknowledged that releasing an album about meditative reflections in the South of France at a time when the greatest recession since the Depression was happening didn't do great for its legs.

Offline Sunchild

• Stateless
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2017, 04:35:13 PM »
Whenever I listen to this album I have for some unknown reason an image of flowers blooming and a beautiful woman dancing in my mind's eye, sometimes it seems like ghosts of Henry Mancini and Jefferson Airplane were in the air giving birth to the glamour and grace of this album in a bed of flowers, my god I just love the spirit of this album so much.

Offline eldercantrell@yahoo.com

• Babyface
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2017, 05:11:05 PM »
I loved no line when it came out. But it faded really fast for me. I think cause of many of the comments listed earlier. I listed to it again after SOE came out and my opinion changed in some regards. I think if they completely rewrote the lyrics to boots, it might actually be a decent track. Just the sexy boots and name is SO bad. The chorus of "you don't know how beautiful" is pretty cool. The "let me in the sound" is kinda cool still. Leave off stand up comedy, crazy, and I just don't like white as snow. Great soundtrack song. Not my favorite album song. Add in winter and soon, and who knows what else they trashed from the sessions, and I think this would end up being a brilliant album. I secretly hope they do a 10 year anniversary reissue where they do something like that. I doubt it though.

Offline Blueyedboy

• Running to Stand Still
  • Embrace the challenge
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2017, 02:06:52 PM »
I love this album, its up there in my top 5 by the band.
I think there was a lot of talk on here about the middle three songs which got a lot of hate and pretty much dictated many a conversation on the merits of the album.

I enjoyed the album at the time, and the tour, but the gap between HTDAAB and NLOTH saw the band lose so much momentum they were pretty much starting from scratch in terms of appealing to fans over than the die hards.

I remember being intrigued by the potential accompanying album, Songs of Ascent, and the song Soon got me excited by the direction they were headed in, but in the end the second guessing and poor (by comparison) sales of the album saw the band head in a different direction. I'm still hopeful of a SOA album though, it would be pretty cool if that arcs back to NLOTH as well as speaking to both SOI and SOE.

Offline Clarky

• Numb
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2017, 08:53:47 PM »
I'd say NLOTH appeals to me the most of any of their albums post 2000. Even ATYCLB which probably stands up as their strongest material still slightly lacked that meandering, atmospheric, improvisational vibe that I love to hear in their albums. If you ignore Boots (heaven forbid I can even JUST tolerate Crazy and SUC if I have to) and replaced it with a Winter (for example), then wow...it is an all time classic U2 record no doubt about it. As it stands it is very good and quite underrated by most but unfortunately dragged down a few pegs but those weaker songs.

Offline BalconyTV

• Numb
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2018, 04:20:34 AM »
Nudge

Offline Manos73

• Numb
  • Stop trying to change the world, I like it.
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2018, 05:43:26 PM »
Thought NLOTH is a mess. Still think so. The lackluster production is pretty clear when compared to SOI.

Offline suitoflights

• Desert Rose
  • You gotta hold on baby to my special feature
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2018, 04:13:17 AM »
NLOTH the song is great and from Fez to the end is fantastic. It's just the bits in between that aren't so great.
Imo Cedars is one of the best closing tracks from a U2 album.