Author Topic: NFL Schedules will determine U.S. Tour Dates  (Read 3420 times)

Offline spiriva21

• Babyface
NFL Schedules will determine U.S. Tour Dates
« on: March 05, 2009, 09:24:58 PM »
It seems based upon recent news articles, that U2 will only be playing large stadiums excluding baseball stadiums.  This would leave NFL stadiums as the home of almost all tour dates in the U.S.  I may be mistaken but it seems that the NFL schedule hasn't been released yet.  How will a stadium tour be announced on 3-9-09 for the U.S.?  I hope I am wrong and maybe the stadium owners and personnel themselves are aware of the home dates for the NFL 2009 season.  This would allow them to schedule other events including concerts but I find it hard to believe that concerts would be scheduled before the NFL releases the schedule.  NFL stadiums can take up Sunday, Monday, and Thursdays depending on Monday Night Football and NFL network games.  Anyone have any information regarding this or opinions..

Offline JuniorEmblem

• Child of Grace
  • 10 types, those who know binary & those who don't
Re: NFL Schedules will determine U.S. Tour Dates
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 09:33:34 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It seems based upon recent news articles, that U2 will only be playing large stadiums excluding baseball stadiums.  This would leave NFL stadiums as the home of almost all tour dates in the U.S.  I may be mistaken but it seems that the NFL schedule hasn't been released yet.  How will a stadium tour be announced on 3-9-09 for the U.S.?  I hope I am wrong and maybe the stadium owners and personnel themselves are aware of the home dates for the NFL 2009 season.  This would allow them to schedule other events including concerts but I find it hard to believe that concerts would be scheduled before the NFL releases the schedule.  NFL stadiums can take up Sunday, Monday, and Thursdays depending on Monday Night Football and NFL network games.  Anyone have any information regarding this or opinions..

There's lots of College stadiums fit that bill too

Offline Nagrom99

• Numb
  • I'm 25, trying to stay alive.....
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 09:47:44 PM »

Aren't the College stadiums too big?  Some of them can hold 80-100,000.

Offline Evil Bono

• Numb
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 10:05:53 PM »
It also depends on how many dates they plan on doing in here.  For some reason I think they're not going to every major with a stadium. 

hurricane hugo

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 10:46:31 PM »

1) the US dates won't be announced on March 9. they're coming in April.

2) sports teams are the primary tenants in their arenas; U2 has had to schedule their last two North American tours around both the NBA and NHL schedules. Seems to me they did a good job.  ;D

#@!

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 11:12:21 PM »
US tour dates will be announced March 9th

Tickets wont go on sale til April

Offline bradjs

• Wanderer
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 08:18:20 AM »
the NFL schedule is usually released in April so i'm sure they have a pretty good approximation as to who's playing where/when by now.

Offline EdgeFest [Zenmaster360]

• Airborne Ranger
  • My blog: mrstheedge.com
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 10:38:23 AM »
the NFL schedule is usually released in April so i'm sure they have a pretty good approximation as to who's playing where/when by now.

Yep.  I'm suspecting this year it will be April 15.  Which is why I hope the tickets don't go on SALE until AFTER that date so I know when I am going to be in North Carolina...

Offline JuniorEmblem

• Child of Grace
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2009, 10:48:38 AM »

Aren't the College stadiums too big?  Some of them can hold 80-100,000.

So can some NFL stadiums, in some places they'll have no choice but to use a College Stadium.

LA for example has no NFL team, but they will definitely play in SoCal, so it would have to be the Coliseum, 90,000+ seated, no parking (I have my 'secret' $13 parking garage few people seem to know about, sh**ty part of town. Not gonna go though.

Offline Evil Bono

• Numb
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2009, 12:13:20 PM »
If they don't go to LA they'll probably go to San Diego.  The way Paul McGuinness is talking that it'll be at the more up to date stadiums.  Here in Northern California I would guess they do the Oakland Coliseum only because they had Popmart there.

Offline JuniorEmblem

• Child of Grace
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2009, 12:34:23 PM »
If they don't go to LA they'll probably go to San Diego.  The way Paul McGuinness is talking that it'll be at the more up to date stadiums.  Here in Northern California I would guess they do the Oakland Coliseum only because they had Popmart there.

They won't not play the 2nd biggest media market, one of the biggest populaiton markets and heart of the entertainment industry.....

Offline fadedu2

• Babyface
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2009, 12:58:00 PM »
also from what i read they are coming to north america atleast in two different legs, "Europe in July and August, America in September and October with a total of 40-45 shows this year; more stadiums in America in June and July next year, then August and September in Europe. The trek then tentatively will hit South America in the fall of 2010, for potentially as many as 90-100 shows over the next two years".  the second time around might be different stadiums  ;D

Offline macphisto96

• Stateless
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2009, 03:31:47 PM »
U2 has probably been working on the schedule for several months.  That means that the NFL is going to schedule around them.  The teams will let the NFL know when their stadium is in use.

As for the college stadiums, their schedules have been out so they can work around those.

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2009, 03:39:47 PM »
Oh no - does this mean Giants Stadium ?  I hope not. It is a mess there with the construction of the new one. What a nightmare in my opinion. There is not enough parking. For the football games, fans had to park a few towns over and get shuttled!!

Offline Crewboy

• Stateless
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2009, 04:38:41 PM »
The band won't play San Diego in my opinion.  I went to Popmart in San Diego and the venue was only a quarter of the way full.

They'll go for the larger market of Los Angeles where the fanbase is larger.

San Diego fans will probably have to drive up to LA for the show I'm afraid.

Also keep in mind that Popmart had two stadium legs in the USA as well and each leg went to different cities.  No city here in the states got a repeat visit after it's first visit.