Author Topic: It's happened....U2 is now just an average band  (Read 5397 times)

Offline DrDoom171

• Intellectual Tortoise
Re: It's happened....U2 is now just an average band
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2017, 12:20:14 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
We're all entitled to our opinion. Several thought U2 lost it with No Line. Several thought they lost it with Pop or Zooropa and even achtung (and yes, many still HATE u2 post Joshua Tree and consider AB utter dross). Several lost it with SOI. But many others enjoyed those albums. Many enjoy SOE. You may like or not like the different flavors of U2, but to say they've lost it entirely is just not a fair assessment. Just look at the critics reviews for example. One critic called the Blackout the worst U2 song ever written. NY Times had it in their top 50 songs of the year. One critic said the only good song on the album was the Ordinary Love Extraordinary Remix, which in my opinion is the worst track on the album behind American Soul (I much prefer the original, and both tracks including AS aren't bad songs). Some critics called American Soul the only good song on the album. Some critics hail the Little Things as an all time classic and only good track on SOE. Some called Summer of Love gorgeous and the only good song on the album. For others, Red Flag Day or Lights of Home. You just gotta like what you like, or hate what you hate. But to say U2 has just lost it is but a relative assessment that doesn't apply to everyone, but is ok if it applies to you. To me it's their most compelling album since Pop. Doesn't have to apply to you or anyone else. And that's fine.

I like your take on this and I agree completely.  I happen to like this album a lot but recognize it is no masterpiece a la Achtung Baby or Joshua Tree.  Everybody has his/her own tastes in music.  Even on this site with many U2 lovers, one person can hate a song and the next post will proclaim how it's the best song they've ever written.  I do think SOE overall has a more mainstream sound than the past two albums and that might be what turns off long-time U2 lovers such as the opening post in this thread.  The OP wants experimentalism, spaces, sonic textures, risks, etc.  This album doesn't have a whole lot of all of those elements, but in my opinion neither did War, Joshua Tree, or ATYCLB.

Anyway, I like the album and put it very near the middle of their body of work, which is still outstanding in my overall musical view.  I get that some people won't like it, however, I strongly recommend that the OP at least take the time to listen to the entire album.  Based on that OP, I think he would like Little Things, Lights of Home string version, Red Flag Day, and especially Book of Your Heart.

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • welp, looks like I'm not making it to 10k posts
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2017, 10:03:14 AM »
tl/dr

Offline tdot1a

• Stateless
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2017, 12:59:19 PM »
Try track 7 - Red Flag Day - sounds like something from War.  It's the song three down from track 4.  Also can I suggest that we've changed as an audience.  Most of us have grown up with jobs and busy lives.  No longer can I walk through the snow for hours at a time listening to Achtung Baby waiting for spring to arrive.  My point is I don't have the time to solidify the music with moments in my life that are truly unforgettable as easily anymore.  Maybe you just need a bit more time with the music? 

Offline darrenmccaul

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2017, 05:05:51 AM »
I have been listening to u2 since 1995 around the time when Pop came out. They have meant so much to me over the years. Been like a soundtrack to my life. In my opinion they are a band unlike any other. They can write songs like no one else can and create an emotion within their music unparalleled. I would never turn my back on them under any circumstances or ever publically feel the need to disparage them. They have been together 40 years and still sound like the best band in the world through my ears and i will be devestated when they ever call it a day. I love the new album. It's brilliant with some amazing and powerful songs that still blow everyone else out of the water.

Offline Dali

• Child of Grace
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2017, 09:26:03 AM »
So far, I've just sampled some tracks from the SOE album but not the whole album in its entirety. I, too, have found it lacking in Edge with a capital E. I'll still give the album more time because what I've heard still sounds better to me than HTDAAB did when I first played it. Still, it's way down on my wish list at the time because there are better albums still awaiting my attention (and budget).

However, the band has made a concious choice for this records to sound as commercial as possible. I don't think it's the band that's average but they made the album sound average on purpose, maybe to then stick out positively amongst all that's average out there. I have no clue what this has got to do with "experience" but it certainly highlights the lack of trends in today's musical landscape: as a band you cannot follow a trend to be current if there isn't one. It may or may not sound inspired but the album sure does sound modern, though.

And for now, I will say no more until I've listened to more of it, apart from saying that those who like the emotional rawness of songs like "Hallelujah Here She Comes" or prefer the Fez version of "Magnificient" might want to stay away from SOE because it lacks in that department like most releases that are designed for radio airplay.

Offline summerholly

• Stateless
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2017, 02:03:49 AM »
Well I admit to not even realising that U2 had put out any albums since AB.  The only song I can honestly say I recognised post AB was Beautiful day. 

I mean I only just discovered SOI in my iTunes lol. So I have been on a bit of a journey of rediscovery and apart from a few gems, I have actually found it hard to capture the magic of the earlier albums for me. 

I particularly liked Rattle and Hum to be honest.  I guess their albums of that era resonated deeply with where I was in my life at that stage being the same age as U2.  I just loved the sound, Edges guitar and the vocals of Bono and there was something undefinable to me about the young U2, really fresh, energetic and unique compared to a lot of music that was around at the time. 

I have been listening to SOI and SOE before heading in to check out the earlier albums that I missed.  I find I can listen to them but they dont seem to grab me in the same way.  I haven't analysed it, its just what grabs my soul with music and it doesn't so much now with U2.

I am persevering as there is still a lot of post AB music that I haven't yet listened to although I have discovered a few gems like the live performance of Kite a song I had never heard before.  Bonos and the bands live performance was electrifying of that song.

As a band I am quite partial to them but yes the last 2 albums although some good stuff there doesn't quite capture the magic in my mind of the young U2 I grew up with.  Even all these years later I can still listen to them over and over again and they hold up for me through the years and I never tire of them. 

It makes sense that they are no longer in that space either and I am glad that there are plenty of people who like their new albums, just so far doesn't entirely grab me.  I would like it if they did but they dont .
« Last Edit: December 25, 2017, 02:12:19 AM by summerholly »

Offline lucas.homem

• Numb
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2017, 03:52:36 AM »
Well I admit to not even realising that U2 had put out any albums since AB.  The only song I can honestly say I recognised post AB was Beautiful day. 

I mean I only just discovered SOI in my iTunes lol. So I have been on a bit of a journey of rediscovery and apart from a few gems, I have actually found it hard to capture the magic of the earlier albums for me. 

I particularly liked Rattle and Hum to be honest.  I guess their albums of that era resonated deeply with where I was in my life at that stage being the same age as U2.  I just loved the sound, Edges guitar and the vocals of Bono and there was something undefinable to me about the young U2, really fresh, energetic and unique compared to a lot of music that was around at the time. 

I have been listening to SOI and SOE before heading in to check out the earlier albums that I missed.  I find I can listen to them but they dont seem to grab me in the same way.  I haven't analysed it, its just what grabs my soul with music and it doesn't so much now with U2.

I am persevering as there is still a lot of post AB music that I haven't yet listened to although I have discovered a few gems like the live performance of Kite a song I had never heard before.  Bonos and the bands live performance was electrifying of that song.

As a band I am quite partial to them but yes the last 2 albums although some good stuff there doesn't quite capture the magic in my mind of the young U2 I grew up with.  Even all these years later I can still listen to them over and over again and they hold up for me through the years and I never tire of them. 

It makes sense that they are no longer in that space either and I am glad that there are plenty of people who like their new albums, just so far doesn't entirely grab me.  I would like it if they did but they dont .

Wow, that's an interesting perspective... to suddenly have 25 years of material to listen to from a band you were a fan of once.

Offline Rasmus

• Refugee
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2017, 05:54:29 AM »
I agree with you OP. Your choice of the word "average" is also appropriate. I dont think the albums U2 have produced for the last 10-15 years are bad (except NLOTH) but they are average and safe. I would not have become the U2 fan that I am if I had heard "Your The Best Thing About Me" on the radio instead of "Discoteque". U2 used to be a challenging and exciting band not they are mostly boring and average. Sad but true but nothing last forever and it has happened to almost every major band at some point.

Offline wons

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2017, 11:05:11 AM »
I agree with you OP. Your choice of the word "average" is also appropriate. I dont think the albums U2 have produced for the last 10-15 years are bad (except NLOTH) but they are average and safe. I would not have become the U2 fan that I am if I had heard "Your The Best Thing About Me" on the radio instead of "Discoteque". U2 used to be a challenging and exciting band not they are mostly boring and average. Sad but true but nothing last forever and it has happened to almost every major band at some point.

I heard the same thing a lot from some fans after Achtung Baby came out. There is always a group of people who don't like the latest album or declare everything after a particular album to be average or poor. This started after the Joshua Tree and has continued since then.

There is also the fact that as people age, their brains tend to prefer music that they know or are used to. They have a harder time getting into and liking things that are new, and retreat to what they know and is familiar.

I love to some degree all of U2s 14 albums. There are some I like more than others. I have my favorite and my least favorites. I understand and appreciate the bands efforts on all of them though and even if I don't always agree with some of their choices, I respect them and understand why they were made.

For me, the band is as good as they have ever been. I see absolutely no decline in the quality of music the band is making or their live performances. In my opinion they are still at their peak but are human and sometimes make mistakes, like their rush to put out the POP album before it was ready.

Its hard to please everyone over a long career, but the band have done their best and will continue to do so in the future. So when fans get  off the bus or train and leave their fandom behind, its really more to do with that individual than anything the band has done in my opinion.

Offline peterpeter

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2017, 05:58:35 PM »
I hear you
And this album has pulled me closer to this feeling that
Any other- I was pi**ed for a few days

But i was wrong

As I get into this album i still disklike a few tracks
American soul is dire
And I just cannot listen to your the best thing
Blackout is a miss for me too

But
Love is
Light
Summer
Rfd
Little things
Landlady
Love is B

Saved it

I wanted another JT in reality
And after a year with that tour and lots of re listening to that masterpiece
I guess it was no surprise
And still want one before I die

But for now I will give U2 every chance
As their highs vastly out weigh the lows

Offline chefconti

• Babyface
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2017, 07:48:18 PM »
Like with any form of art, the OP absolutely has the right to his or her own opinion.  But, I absolutely could not disagree more.  This album is beautiful, brilliant and so unbelievably timely on so many different levels.  I cannot wait to hear these songs live.

Offline two hearts

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2017, 02:59:06 AM »
U2 Have become the Drunk that won't leave the party,   Great company at the beginning but now sad and annoying.

Offline two hearts

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2017, 03:01:23 AM »
Somebody needs too tell Bono it's not the Sixties anymore,   And wear some better shades.

Offline two hearts

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2017, 03:08:27 AM »

This is Sad, But so true.

Offline summerholly

• Stateless
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2017, 03:22:59 AM »
Somebody needs too tell Bono it's not the Sixties anymore,   And wear some better shades.

I think the seventies and eighties is more his generation.  Are you the fashion police? lol  For some strange reason people seem very hung up on his shades!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 03:24:46 AM by summerholly »