Author Topic: It's happened....U2 is now just an average band  (Read 6257 times)

Offline ShankAsu

• Child of Grace
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
Re: It's happened....U2 is now just an average band
« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2017, 08:07:05 AM »
u2 is still an amazing band.  No other band in history has put out albums as good as SOI and SOE after they've already been around for 40 years.

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2017, 09:46:09 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
u2 is still an amazing band.  No other band in history has put out albums as good as SOI and SOE after they've already been around for 40 years.

They are an amazing band for sure.  I downloaded SOI on my ipod and it is mixed with all my other music including all my old favourites from U2.  However when the new songs play I just cant seem to get into them.  I don't dislike them so I don't skip them when they start to play but I just don't get that same thrill as when I hear the old songs start to play.   I am also finding the same with SOE.  They don't for me have that same magic and distinctive sound that captivated me all those years ago.

Offline BalconyTV

• Numb
« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2017, 10:09:47 AM »
Nothing stays the same. Not you. Not the band. Everything changes.

Offline Petejbridge

• Stateless
  • Clockworks and cold steel...
« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2017, 04:51:05 PM »
I completely agree with MothersOfDisappeared.  For the first time, after listening to SOE, I felt emabarassed for U2 and myself.  Embarrassed For U2 because of the uninspired quality of this album and for me because I was excited to hear this album (and may have verbalized that excitement to a few people) .  I think it's safe to say they are a husk of their former selves.

Offline aviastar

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Feel like trash...you make me feel clean
« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2017, 07:13:25 PM »
As just a practical exercise I compared two songs: Acrobat from AB and Blackout from SOE.  In theory, the songs should have a similar angst and vibe. In reality, I feel like Blackout doesn’t come close to matching the quality of Acrobat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
« Reply #50 on: December 30, 2017, 07:39:18 PM »
As just a practical exercise I compared two songs: Acrobat from AB and Blackout from SOE.  In theory, the songs should have a similar angst and vibe. In reality, I feel like Blackout doesn’t come close to matching the quality of Acrobat.

They were young angsty men back then when creating AB.  I guess life experience, the passing years and where they are now it is completely understandable in away that their music comes from a different place.  I like their past music because it does take me back to that place when we were young and free and doing crazy things and makes me feel good.  Their current music cant do that for me and I just find it a bit bland and lacking "edge".  But it it might do it for a younger generation I don't know.

Online Luzita

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #51 on: December 30, 2017, 07:47:06 PM »
I completely agree with MothersOfDisappeared.  For the first time, after listening to SOE, I felt emabarassed for U2 and myself.  Embarrassed For U2 because of the uninspired quality of this album and for me because I was excited to hear this album (and may have verbalized that excitement to a few people) .  I think it's safe to say they are a husk of their former selves.

It is not safe to say that all. People’s reactions differ. You find the album uninspired, but many are calling it a late-career gem. I like it better than some of their earlier albums.

Online Luzita

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #52 on: December 30, 2017, 08:14:26 PM »

U2 are a major band who made two albums that are pretty universally regarded as rock classics: The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby. What they’ve made since doesn’t quite reach the same level — not in terms of whole albums — but they’re still creating great music. I feel several songs on this album, notably The Little Things, 13, and Red Flag Day, belong among their classics. I also really like The Showman and really appreciate the tone of the song is something new for them.

Offline Tortuga

• Stateless
« Reply #53 on: December 31, 2017, 08:21:52 AM »
The problem with these last two albums is they suffer from too many cooks in the kitchen.  They are collections of singles instead of coherent albums. UF,  JT, AB, Pop, ATYCLB....they all had a consistent feel.  What is the point of releasing an album if the songs are so disjointed?  May as well just release singles as they are completed.  They need to stop with the overworking with so many producers and quit worrying so much about commercial success.  Every few releases you need an album that appeals to deep music lovers to keep your credibility as a legacy artist, even if it doesn't sell so well or is less "relevant".

Also, The lyrics have become to too casual and cheesy in their references.  SHFWILF will still be a classic fifty years from now.  What will the future think of lines like "Force quit and move to trash"?  Like many of the more recent songs, Unknown Caller was a great song in so many ways but the lyrics are marred by clunker lines even when the overall concept or idea behind the song is good.  I think it comes from this obsession to be relevant with a capital R.  The more relevant you are today the more irrelevant you will be tomorrow.  That's the difference between disposable pop and true art.

Offline hollywoodswag

• Stateless
« Reply #54 on: December 31, 2017, 10:15:19 AM »
Tortuga, I think you have a great analysis there...

...but come on, I LOVE Unknown Caller!  ;D ;D ;D

I especially love the argument that they need to stop chasing relevance. I don't want to suggest complacency, but the more they try to fit in, the more they're going to damage their legacy, at least in my eyes. What set them apart for so many years was that they didn't really sound like what was popular at the time. I think that especially worked well with the 80s material as just about every other band that originated in that decade is, at best, a novelty act these days, assuming they're even still around. It seems now that they have this desperate need to fit in with the kids, and it just comes off silly to me. The SOI release should have been a wake-up call to them that trying to be the cool kids on the block doesn't really work at this stage in their careers, and I don't think that's a problem. I want them to focus less on the popularity and more on the music. The music is what has kept them such a force over the years. I know there was more beyond that, but the music is what is going to keep your name around as an artist even after you're gone. It's the rock stars who are remembered for generations. There's a reason the Stones can still sell out stadiums even though they are old enough that they probably went water-skiing off of the back of Noah's ark. Rock has staying power. Pop music does not. I'm reminded of the line that, well, was written by none other than Bono himself: "...but they'll want their money back if you're alive at thirty-three." I think that's a great way to explain pop music, and I fear that that's exactly what these last two albums have been.

I guess I just feel like I wish the band would embrace where they are in life and not worry about chasing the approval of folks in their teens and twenties who are going to have tastes that change in a few years. Just put out what YOU want to put out and not what you hope will be popular.

Offline radiofreenewport

• Babyface
« Reply #55 on: December 31, 2017, 12:33:36 PM »
Tortuga, I think you have a great analysis there...

...but come on, I LOVE Unknown Caller!  ;D ;D ;D

I especially love the argument that they need to stop chasing relevance. I don't want to suggest complacency, but the more they try to fit in, the more they're going to damage their legacy, at least in my eyes. What set them apart for so many years was that they didn't really sound like what was popular at the time. I think that especially worked well with the 80s material as just about every other band that originated in that decade is, at best, a novelty act these days, assuming they're even still around. It seems now that they have this desperate need to fit in with the kids, and it just comes off silly to me. The SOI release should have been a wake-up call to them that trying to be the cool kids on the block doesn't really work at this stage in their careers, and I don't think that's a problem. I want them to focus less on the popularity and more on the music. The music is what has kept them such a force over the years. I know there was more beyond that, but the music is what is going to keep your name around as an artist even after you're gone. It's the rock stars who are remembered for generations. There's a reason the Stones can still sell out stadiums even though they are old enough that they probably went water-skiing off of the back of Noah's ark. Rock has staying power. Pop music does not. I'm reminded of the line that, well, was written by none other than Bono himself: "...but they'll want their money back if you're alive at thirty-three." I think that's a great way to explain pop music, and I fear that that's exactly what these last two albums have been.

I guess I just feel like I wish the band would embrace where they are in life and not worry about chasing the approval of folks in their teens and twenties who are going to have tastes that change in a few years. Just put out what YOU want to put out and not what you hope will be popular.

Perfectly said. Tortuga's post, too.

Offline Tortuga

• Stateless
« Reply #56 on: December 31, 2017, 12:40:45 PM »
I love Unknown Caller too, in spite of the tech-speak analogies.

You have a great point Joshua Tree sounded nothing like the eighties.  That's partly why it is STILL so relevant today.  Somehow they knew it back then but they've forgotten it today.

Offline ITM

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • My first cry, it was a joyful noise,
« Reply #57 on: January 03, 2018, 06:59:27 PM »

What I find frustrating as a fan from the time of War surfaces with information gathered over the years that some of their greatest influences (i.e. David Bowie) and contemporaries (i.e. Sting) were able to maintain like credibility while pushing their own creative boundaries independent of commercial expectation.

Until Pop, my sense of the band was that they coveted the universal and despised the fashionable. There are some gems on that album...But I think that leap in particular really jolted their sense of artistic risk not unlike certain injuries transform the play of athletes who never truly return to form.

U2 will never be and have never been average from any reasonable consideration. But I think they're not where they could be and I think rather than embrace the monstrosity of the elite that Bono has seemed to, that a return to simple people and a sincere interest as to why they worry and what they worry about wouldn't be a bad retracing of steps to remember themselves in a way that some of us remember them to be.

I'll never forget the television performance of Springhill Mining Disaster as a piece of pure powerful melancholic beauty. I always wanted a "small" album from them. Something quintessentially celtic...Tough to pull off a "Greatest Band On Earth" tour doing that I suppose.

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
« Reply #58 on: January 03, 2018, 09:28:59 PM »

U2 will never be and have never been average from any reasonable consideration. But I think they're not where they could be and I think rather than embrace the monstrosity of the elite that Bono has seemed to, that a return to simple people and a sincere interest as to why they worry and what they worry about wouldn't be a bad retracing of steps to remember themselves in a way that some of us remember them to be.

I'll never forget the television performance of Springhill Mining Disaster as a piece of pure powerful melancholic beauty. I always wanted a "small" album from them. Something quintessentially celtic...Tough to pull off a "Greatest Band On Earth" tour doing that I suppose.

I would agree also having coming from the War era. 

Offline siblis

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #59 on: January 04, 2018, 04:16:36 AM »
Father time has finally caught up to them. The Last GREAT Album that they released was Achtung Baby & everything after that has been sub par. They scored big with "All that you can't leave behind" with hits "Walk on" & "Beautiful Day" because of 9/11, their apperance at the SuperBowl, etc, otherwise that would have just been a "play it safe" album with (1) BIG hit