Author Topic: It's happened....U2 is now just an average band  (Read 6987 times)

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
Re: It's happened....U2 is now just an average band
« Reply #75 on: January 18, 2018, 07:22:39 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Look at the laundry list of producers on SOE! With most any other band, the audience would be openly questioning just who 'U2' is. Although they (significantly) worked with producers before, now it's a ridiculous roll call of big name studio talent that has erased what U2 once was. The band are responsible for that.

I don't hear 'U2' anymore; I hear a potpourri of cooks eagerly spoiling the broth - and no doubt getting paid a truckload to do so.

I can imagine that when U2 released Achtung Baby back in the 90ies there were people saying "I cannot hear U2 anymore. Why did they let themselves to be influenced by popular dance and techno music?"

No I am a child of that era and I loved AB as much as their earlier work.  It still had the U2 signature sound and that is what I am missing now.  I don't know the specifics because I don't follow the ins and outs of the production but whatever they are doing now has for me killed that signature sound that make them U2which should be able to be carried through even in new stuff influenced by whatever

This is all very subjective. You may have still heard the U2 signature sound in AB but a great many people didn’t, including me. I stopped following the band for years because I just couldn’t get into the new sound. Lots of other people did too and some of them never came back. People talk about how U2 were able to transform themselves quite successfully when they transitioned to their 90s sound, which is true, but I think the fact they actually did lose a lot of fans is under appreciated. That happened even with AB and even more so with Zooropa and Pop.

I only recently came to love AB, and I can’t say what changed. I became able to hear U2 in it where before I couldn’t. So who knows, you may one day have a similar conversion regarding this record.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes I agree all very subjective. I heard U2 in AB as soon as I heard it.  I didn't even know they had made any albums post AB until recently lol.  Which means I didn't recognise them on the radio.  I suppose I got more into Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Metallica, Radiohead and other stuff in that era. 
I am trying hard to get into their more recent albums but it just aint doing it for me.

I still think they would be awesome live regardless of what they played and I still get a kick out of listening to their old stuff and a handful of later stuff but I cant see me getting too excited about their later music as it stands.  I don't really know why just what my ears are telling me.  I have SOI on my playlist so I listen often but although I like it I don't love it.

To me they are like Pink Floyd in that I will never get tired of listening to their old music, still love it.  Newer music not so much
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 07:31:42 AM by summerholly »

Offline McSwilly

• Refugee
« Reply #76 on: January 26, 2018, 08:51:25 AM »
Thanks and agree. I am one of the minorities on this site. I don't think U2 have made a good album since Achtung. That said, I still love them and feel they are the best live band ever. 46 shows between 1985 and the recent Joshua Tree.

Offline davis

• Stateless
« Reply #77 on: January 28, 2018, 06:03:42 AM »
Any other Bob Dylan fans on this site?  There is no better example of an artist who repeatedly abandoned his "signature sound" to do new things, with sometimes average and sometimes brilliant results.  And his fans bitched about it too--every step of the way.

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
« Reply #78 on: January 28, 2018, 06:24:27 AM »
Any other Bob Dylan fans on this site?  There is no better example of an artist who repeatedly abandoned his "signature sound" to do new things, with sometimes average and sometimes brilliant results.  And his fans bitched about it too--every step of the way.

Yep I love Bob Dylan but like U2 I just listen to the music of his that I like.  I don't think that you have to like everything an artist does to appreciate them.  If an occasional new gem comes along that is great and more is better but otherwise I just listen to the music of theirs that I like.