Author Topic: Love is all we have left  (Read 1747 times)

Offline trainfanjacob8

• Babyface
  • Worst things in the world are justified by belief
Re: Love is all we have left
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2018, 07:15:23 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
An MLK for the 21st Century?

After hearing the song for the first time, I as well thought that this and MLK were similar.  The difference is that LIAWHL is about Bono; while MLK is about, well, MLK!

Offline BlueSquirrel

• Wanderer
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2018, 01:08:23 PM »
i have to say,,,,this has to be probably the most downbeat...if not most depressing opener...to a u2 album ever. this is a b-side at best or an obscure album track....i guess they wanted to go against type,,,,but meh i want to feel on a high like i did with discotheque, bd, vertigo,,,even NLOTH....

Unfortunately, I find it really hard to get into that song as well. I would prefer another album opener.

Offline Billy Rhythm

• Babyface
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2018, 10:20:56 AM »
Great Song and a Great Opener...  I can't imagine it anywhere else on the album...  After the lacklustre 'Innocence' album, U2 are back to form...:-)

Offline JFW

• Numb
  • Wondering why I still walk the earth
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2018, 10:35:39 AM »
But what does that autotune singing/saying?

It could be "Don't close your eyes"; it fits.. But it doesn;t sound like it

Offline kevtn43

• Refugee
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2018, 05:39:50 PM »
I absolutely love this song the lyrics are amazing and very heartfelt

Offline Chip

• Numb
  • "Hey, I've been waiting to get home a long time"
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2018, 08:44:32 PM »
yeh but its so downbeat,,,its not a happy upbeat tempo song like vertigo or even the miracle....u2 albums previously start with intent, power, groove and purpose.  this one starts with a resignation to defeat....

could easily have been a left over from passengers or the million dollar hotel soundtrack....and may be it is, who are we to know...

There's a difference between "resignation to defeat" and being meditative about life and what's important in life after a brush with death. LIAWHL fits in the latter category, not the former one, IMHO.

Offline robbover

• Babyface
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2018, 08:11:53 AM »
For me, best album opener in years for the band. It's interesting, introspective, and attention grabbing in that it is not a play by the numbers opener.

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2018, 07:41:30 PM »
i have to say,,,,this has to be probably the most downbeat...if not most depressing opener...to a u2 album ever. this is a b-side at best or an obscure album track....i guess they wanted to go against type,,,,but meh i want to feel on a high like i did with discotheque, bd, vertigo,,,even NLOTH....

Really? To me it sounds very hopeful. Anxious, but hopeful. Nothing to stop this from being the best day ever. Nothing to keep us from where we should be.

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2018, 01:07:59 AM »

Really? To me it sounds very hopeful. Anxious, but hopeful. Nothing to stop this from being the best day ever. Nothing to keep us from where we should be.

Me too. It's like its written from the perspective on someone who's teetering on the brink of death and has an epiphany and hears a voice telling him not to close his eyes and stay in the land of the living. "A baby cries on a doorstep" is a good metaphor I think; there's something or someone at home who needs your love, so you can't leave home now. Love is all we have left and you need to pull through for their sake.

Offline BONO31

• Wanderer
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2018, 04:45:25 AM »
"Love is all we have left" is the best opener on U2 album. And there are contenders like "Where the streets have non name" or "Zoo Station"... But this song is just wonderful, and U2, as big as they are, had the guts to put it as an opener. Bravo!!!

Offline JFW

• Numb
  • Wondering why I still walk the earth
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2018, 06:00:32 AM »
I think it's the best opener of the album Songs Of Experience  ;)

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2018, 03:43:33 PM »

Me too. It's like its written from the perspective on someone who's teetering on the brink of death and has an epiphany and hears a voice telling him not to close his eyes and stay in the land of the living. "A baby cries on a doorstep" is a good metaphor I think; there's something or someone at home who needs your love, so you can't leave home now. Love is all we have left and you need to pull through for their sake.

Good call on the "baby cries on a doorstep" rebirth/parenting aspect. Reminds me of how much the lyrics of NLOTH and SOE tie together.