Author Topic: U2 drops from #1 to #13 in top 200 billboard  (Read 5349 times)

Offline iced

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • You don't see me but you will..I am not invisible.
U2 drops from #1 to #13 in top 200 billboard
« on: December 20, 2017, 05:30:26 AM »
This is their first out right flop ever.

A very boring single, flat TV performances and lukewarm reviews from both fans and critics.

Physical sales are a bust and digital sales are NONE.

Youtube hits are zero.

But you wouldn't know...because nobody is apparently interested in U2 anymore.

The once biggest (or most interesting) band on the planet <----shock is really now finally done!

Is this the "new" U2???

The anti-trump post censorship [lock down the nearly two decade forum] hate all POP critics has certainly backfired.

What a fun trip it would have been had the post-Zooropa/POP movement actually happened.

This is what REALLY happens when you pi*s off half the country, even if they all agree with you.

...it's done.

Certainly not worth destroying a legacy for a[nother] golden hits decade of boring rehash material.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 06:51:32 AM by iced »

Offline blovesu2

• Wanderer
Re: U2 drops from #1 to #13 in top 200 billboard
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 10:06:11 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

A very boring single, flat TV performances and lukewarm reviews from both fans and critics.

Physical sales are a bust and digital sales are NONE.

Youtube hits are zero.

But you wouldn't know...because nobody is apparently interested in U2 anymore.

The once biggest (or most interesting) band on the planet <----shock is really now finally done!

Is this the "new" U2???

The anti-trump post censorship [lock down the nearly two decade forum] hate all POP critics has certainly backfired.

What a fun trip it would have been had the post-Zooropa/POP movement actually happened.

This is what REALLY happens when you pi*s off half the country, even if they all agree with you.

...it's done.

Certainly not worth destroying a legacy for a[nother] golden hits decade of boring rehash material.

LOL Merry Christmas

Offline KenpoMatt

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • The first wealth is health.
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2017, 11:38:14 AM »
U2 always debuts at number 1 and always falls off quickly after ever since pop. Thx for the trolling.

Offline radiofreenewport

• Babyface
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2017, 06:31:42 AM »
I don't agree with the OP, but it is interesting to compare their chart performance to someone more relevant and daring like Kendrick Lamar. Damn was #16 last week, has been on the Billboard album chart for 34 weeks, and was #1 for several weeks.

Offline DrDoom171

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2017, 12:45:40 PM »
I don't agree with the OP, but it is interesting to compare their chart performance to someone more relevant and daring like Kendrick Lamar. Damn was #16 last week, has been on the Billboard album chart for 34 weeks, and was #1 for several weeks.

What about comparisons to other similar genre rock bands that aren't pop drivel.  I think better comparisons would be against bands like Imagine Dragons (these guys are pretty danged mainstream pop), The Killers, Beck, Weezer, Arcade Fire, etc.  All those bands are still probably kicking U2's ass in album sales and chart positions but it's a more appropriate comparison.  I just saw Green Day's greatest hits album was on the chart for 4 weeks and peaked at #39 (maybe that's great for a greatest hits album?).   Greta Van Fleet has 5 weeks on the chart, currently at #195, peaked at #36 and people are swooning over them right now.  Arcade Fire's Everything Now peaked at #1 but only spent 6 total weeks on the top 200 album chart.

Real question here for you music gurus:  Anybody know when the last band that started pre-1980 had a current album of recently released material reach #1 on the Billboard top 200?  (I know bands like Beatles, AC/DC, Journey, etc. have albums in the top 200 but they are all older albums getting rehashed....not really sure how those albums like that creep up into the charts and stay around so long?)

Offline Daniel94

• Refugee
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2017, 12:53:09 PM »
Flat TV performances? Did you watch the BBC special?! It was fantastic.

Offline dirtdrybonesandstone

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2017, 08:29:58 PM »

That would have been the one before this one.   

Offline FaltuMiah

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2017, 03:27:25 AM »
Missed the UK number 1. Enters at number 5 and drops to 20 after 2 weeks. This is something they are not used to. They avoided the whole issue of sales and chart placings for SOI with the itunes give away.

Offline realist

• Wanderer
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2017, 04:31:31 AM »
Was expecting an auctung baby but instead got a lemon  :-\

Apart from landlady its rather forgettable imo

Offline u2live

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2017, 05:14:25 AM »
this is why I've been saying for a few years now that I'd prefer U2 make mature soulful rock instead of chasing the charts...........

Offline McSwilly

• Refugee
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2017, 07:10:22 AM »
Agree.
The only reason they were #1 in the U.S. is because every concert ticket included a copy of the album. I'm sure that was the vast majority of week one sales.

Still the best live band ever.

Offline radiofreenewport

• Babyface
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2017, 09:44:57 AM »

What about comparisons to other similar genre rock bands that aren't pop drivel.  I think better comparisons would be against bands like Imagine Dragons (these guys are pretty danged mainstream pop), The Killers, Beck, Weezer, Arcade Fire, etc.  All those bands are still probably kicking U2's ass in album sales and chart positions but it's a more appropriate comparison.  I just saw Green Day's greatest hits album was on the chart for 4 weeks and peaked at #39 (maybe that's great for a greatest hits album?).   Greta Van Fleet has 5 weeks on the chart, currently at #195, peaked at #36 and people are swooning over them right now.  Arcade Fire's Everything Now peaked at #1 but only spent 6 total weeks on the top 200 album chart.

Real question here for you music gurus:  Anybody know when the last band that started pre-1980 had a current album of recently released material reach #1 on the Billboard top 200?  (I know bands like Beatles, AC/DC, Journey, etc. have albums in the top 200 but they are all older albums getting rehashed....not really sure how those albums like that creep up into the charts and stay around so long?)

Good questions, though I wouldn't call Kendrick Lamar pop drivel. I don't listen to a lot of hip-hop, but I dig his stuff and it's deep. I looked up Imagine Dragons out of curiosity: they are currently #17, were #15 last week, and have been on the album charts for 25 weeks.

Great question about pre-1980 bands being #1. The oldest acts besides U2 to be #1 on the 2017 US album charts are Foo Fighters, Shania Twain, Jay-Z, and Linkin Park. But in 2016, there was David Bowie, Prince (a best of -- and yes, both of those were fueled in large part by their deaths), Barbra Streisand, Metallica, and A Tribe Called Quest (started mid-80s). James Taylor had a #1 album in 2015; Springsteen, Petty, and Streisand in 2014. They're all pure contemporaries of U2, but still -- old acts being at #1 isn't as rare as it might seem, at least on the U2 charts.

Offline Luzita

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2017, 09:53:41 AM »
Agree.
The only reason they were #1 in the U.S. is because every concert ticket included a copy of the album. I'm sure that was the vast majority of week one sales.

Still the best live band ever.

Buying a ticket did not automatically result in an album sale. The buyer had to redeem the album afterwards. Considering that many of the people who bought tickets would probably have bought albums anyway, its unclear how much the ticket bundle contributed to sales. Though it probably contributed something.

Also, it's worth remembering that SOE wasn't just #1 in the U.S., it was #1 in the world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 10:03:07 AM by Luzita »

Offline Luzita

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2017, 11:31:08 AM »

I definitely agree that comparing U2's sales to other rock acts is much more appropriate than comparing them to pop and hip-hop acts, since rock is no longer the dominant form of popular music.  Of the acts you named (Imagine Dragons, The Killers, Beck, Weezer, Arcade Fire) I believe the only one that did better than U2 is Imagine Dragons (who I guess are considered rock).  I don't have full stats as I'm not as big a chart maven as some people, but here are a few bits of information I picked up (mostly from what chart mavens have posted in other forums).

These are U.S. figures:

Arcade Fire sold about 100K in their first week (compared to U2's ~180K) and they used a ticket bundle as well.
The Killers hit number 1 with 118K.
Beck was number 3 with 46K.
Weezer got about 25K in their first week.

Not sure about chart positions but a big drop in the second week is common -- often much bigger than what U2 fell.

Here are some global sales figures for first week sales of various rock acts:

Coldplay: 827k
*U2: 441k*
Red Hot Chili Peppers: 341k
Foo Fighters: 277k
Arcade Fire: 241k
Linkin Park: 212k
Bon Jovi: 211k
Killers: 208k
Green Day: 206k
Maroon 5: 183k
Kings of Leon: 165k
Beck: 81k

In sum:

How does U2 stack up against all other musical acts? Not very well. A few pop and hip hop acts still sell multiplatinum even in this day and age, and U2 are no longer in that club.

How does U2 stack up against other rock acts? Pretty well. There are some rock acts that do better (Coldplay, Pink) but only a few, and none of them are pushing 60.

Offline lucas.homem

• Numb
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2017, 08:38:55 AM »
LOL, this is a really biased thread pushing a subjective opinion as general consensus.