Author Topic: U2 drops from #1 to #13 in top 200 billboard  (Read 6207 times)

Offline SwimmingSorrows

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Some folks are bound for glory, I was Born to Hang
Re: U2 drops from #1 to #13 in top 200 billboard
« Reply #60 on: April 07, 2018, 10:56:16 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Do you know how many streams on Spotify "You're The Best Thing About Me" has?

Still, I think we need to see some numbers for the lastest album and its songs before we start saying that a band like Arctic Monkeys is more popular than U2 in the United States.

By the way, U2 have had 30 songs crack the HOT 100 in their career. Arctic Monkeys last tour in the United States had them playing in primarily theaters and mid-level halls, in the 2,000 to 7,000 capacity range even in big cities. That's not very big at all. But, maybe the new tour will see a move to larger venues.

Best Thing has about 20 million.  And U2 will certainly have bigger tour numbers, that said they aren't selling out some arenas at the moment in the US.  In Boston, both bands will be playing the TD Garden this year.  U2 sold out, remains to be seen if AM will.  And, yeah, if you look at their whole careers, U2 are way more successful.

My point is that with the younger generation, U2 are nowhere near as popular as a band who are, as you have rightly pointed out, not that big.  The Rolling Stones will also get better tour numbers than the Arctic Monkeys will.  This is because middle-aged people go to concerts but don't use Spotify.  (I tried to get my parents on it, to no avail).  If U2 are trying to remain relevant, it sure as hell isn't working.   

Offline Luzita

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #61 on: April 07, 2018, 02:35:51 PM »

Still, I think we need to see some numbers for the lastest album and its songs before we start saying that a band like Arctic Monkeys is more popular than U2 in the United States.

By the way, U2 have had 30 songs crack the HOT 100 in their career. Arctic Monkeys last tour in the United States had them playing in primarily theaters and mid-level halls, in the 2,000 to 7,000 capacity range even in big cities. That's not very big at all. But, maybe the new tour will see a move to larger venues.

Best Thing has about 20 million.  And U2 will certainly have bigger tour numbers, that said they aren't selling out some arenas at the moment in the US.  In Boston, both bands will be playing the TD Garden this year.  U2 sold out, remains to be seen if AM will.  And, yeah, if you look at their whole careers, U2 are way more successful.

My point is that with the younger generation, U2 are nowhere near as popular as a band who are, as you have rightly pointed out, not that big.  The Rolling Stones will also get better tour numbers than the Arctic Monkeys will.  This is because middle-aged people go to concerts but don't use Spotify.  (I tried to get my parents on it, to no avail).  If U2 are trying to remain relevant, it sure as hell isn't working.   

It’s true that for a rock band pushing 60 to be popular with younger people is next to impossible. Both their age and their genre are against them. They were already bucking the odds by being popular in the 2000s when they were in their 40s.

U2 haven’t given up but then they’ve always aimed for the moon. I think they’re doing well having as many young fans as they do. Doubtful they’ll ever again achieve mass popularity among young people. But I don’t think it’s outside the bounds of possibility some songs from this album will hit at least a little bigger than YTBTAM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #62 on: April 07, 2018, 04:57:59 PM »

Just to be precise, what age are you and your friends?

My friends and I started going to rock shows when we were 16 and 17.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 05:14:50 PM by wons »

Offline SwimmingSorrows

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #63 on: April 08, 2018, 01:03:35 AM »

I'm 22, they're around the same age.  And, I didn't mean to say only middle-aged people go to concerts.  Every age group goes to concerts, and Spotify is mostly used by young people.  I've seen a bunch of bands and artists.  I first started going to my dad's band's concerts at about age 6.

U2's concerts are mostly attended by middle-aged people, though.  I went with my dad who hadn't seen them since 87, and he made the joke going in "What are all these old people doing at U2?  Oh, wait...."

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #64 on: April 08, 2018, 11:06:13 AM »

I'm 22, they're around the same age.  And, I didn't mean to say only middle-aged people go to concerts.  Every age group goes to concerts, and Spotify is mostly used by young people.  I've seen a bunch of bands and artists.  I first started going to my dad's band's concerts at about age 6.

U2's concerts are mostly attended by middle-aged people, though.  I went with my dad who hadn't seen them since 87, and he made the joke going in "What are all these old people doing at U2?  Oh, wait...."

Your Dads reaction on last years Joshua Tree Tour 2017 is the exact same reaction I had. "What are all these old people doing here?" I don't know if it was just the general admission on the field or what, but there seemed like there was no one in their 20s or 30s. It seemed like 40 and up with a few teenagers sprinkled in who were there with parents. Very strange. I did not get that feeling at all at the 360 shows 2009-2011. U2's popularity has thinned out a lot since then, so it convinces me the band is primarily left with the old fanbase from the late 80s and early 90s.

Older people are using Spotify. Its all my sister uses and most of my friends use it as well. Me, I still listen to music the way I did back in the late 80s with a CD player and CDs. When I rent a car when traveling, I request that the car have a CD player. Its getting difficult now, because most of the standard models don't have CD players. I have to move to an SUV to get the CD player.

How many U2 shows have you been to?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 11:13:07 AM by wons »

Offline SwimmingSorrows

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #65 on: April 08, 2018, 11:33:35 AM »
Your Dads reaction on last years Joshua Tree Tour 2017 is the exact same reaction I had. "What are all these old people doing here?" I don't know if it was just the general admission on the field or what, but there seemed like there was no one in their 20s or 30s. It seemed like 40 and up with a few teenagers sprinkled in who were there with parents. Very strange. I did not get that feeling at all at the 360 shows 2009-2011. U2's popularity has thinned out a lot since then, so it convinces me the band is primarily left with the old fanbase from the late 80s and early 90s.

Older people are using Spotify. Its all my sister uses and most of my friends use it as well. Me, I still listen to music the way I did back in the late 80s with a CD player and CDs. When I rent a car when traveling, I request that the car have a CD player. Its getting difficult now, because most of the standard models don't have CD players. I have to move to an SUV to get the CD player.

My car is 14 years old now, so it only has a CD player.  I used to burn tons of CDs with playlists I'd made of whatever kind of music I was listening to.  They were usually themed and had a "plot" that could be read, but only really if I explained it all, as about whatever I was feeling at the time.  I also made a couple U2 live albums by selecting my favorite performances and using audacity to transition between the songs, pretty seamlessly in some cases.  Those were good days, but then my CD player broke and ate my dad's original Joshua Tree CD, as well as an out-of-print Slobberbone CD and a couple of my playlists.  Since then, I got this thing that connects to your phone with bluetooth and then creates a short-range radio signal at a frequency you set.  It's a brilliant little device, and it makes me wonder if the music I listen to in my car should now technically be regulated by the FCC. . . .

That story is completely irrelevant, but I felt compelled to tell it.  I've only been to one U2 show, JT2017 in D.C.  It was utterly incredible, probably the best concert I've seen.  I saw them in D.C. because my aunt lives there and I happened to be returning home from a semester in the U.K. right when the concert was.  I live in Arkansas, and I tried to go to the St. Louis show that was cancelled.  So, alas, me and two friends who also like the band drove up there the day before for nothing.  We did end up spending the day with our friend who lives there, so it wasn't all bad.  (If you're curious, they are three early-20s U2 fans, could tell you what their thoughts on the band are).  I'm contemplating getting a Stubhub GA ticket and skipping up to St. Louis for this tour.  I really want to see them again, but it's the Friday of my finals week, so maybe not. 

My dad saw them at the Paradise theater in 1981.  He was 14 or 15 at the time, but he used to play at that club, and the manager told him he had to see this "new band from Ireland," so he got to sneak in and watch from the back for like 30 minutes.  He didn't see them again until the Joshua Tree tour.  He saw them twice in Boston on that one.  Next time he saw them was 30 years later with me, and he's 30 years older than I am.  That was apparently pretty surreal for him.

Online laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #66 on: April 08, 2018, 12:11:39 PM »
My car is also old and has a CD player (and no Bluetooth). My mom gave me her very old iPod Touch that she never used, and when I made the transition, kicking and screaming, I realized digital kicks CDs ass. If I had this iPod as a teen in 1990, it would have been the center of my world.

Those playlists can be made and refined or cemented. All that agony creating the perfect playlist and realizing you have a bum song that doesn't fit like you thought it would have, bye bye. And making a playlist and realizing this one song you don't have would b perfect right here? The song is $1.29 and away you go.

No scratches. No smudges. No thinking, gosh, I wish I brought X along, it's all already with you.

I have a simila car device but even simpler - no Bluetooth. I plug it into the iPod's earphone jack, set the car stereo to m private radio station, and I almost belong in 2018.

OMG Paradise in 1981? All I can say is that I've seen the club. From outside. To have seen them in 1981 is quite the badge of honor.

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #67 on: April 08, 2018, 12:30:11 PM »

My car is 14 years old now, so it only has a CD player.  I used to burn tons of CDs with playlists I'd made of whatever kind of music I was listening to.  They were usually themed and had a "plot" that could be read, but only really if I explained it all, as about whatever I was feeling at the time.  I also made a couple U2 live albums by selecting my favorite performances and using audacity to transition between the songs, pretty seamlessly in some cases.  Those were good days, but then my CD player broke and ate my dad's original Joshua Tree CD, as well as an out-of-print Slobberbone CD and a couple of my playlists.  Since then, I got this thing that connects to your phone with bluetooth and then creates a short-range radio signal at a frequency you set.  It's a brilliant little device, and it makes me wonder if the music I listen to in my car should now technically be regulated by the FCC. . . .

That story is completely irrelevant, but I felt compelled to tell it.  I've only been to one U2 show, JT2017 in D.C.  It was utterly incredible, probably the best concert I've seen.  I saw them in D.C. because my aunt lives there and I happened to be returning home from a semester in the U.K. right when the concert was.  I live in Arkansas, and I tried to go to the St. Louis show that was cancelled.  So, alas, me and two friends who also like the band drove up there the day before for nothing.  We did end up spending the day with our friend who lives there, so it wasn't all bad.  (If you're curious, they are three early-20s U2 fans, could tell you what their thoughts on the band are).  I'm contemplating getting a Stubhub GA ticket and skipping up to St. Louis for this tour.  I really want to see them again, but it's the Friday of my finals week, so maybe not. 

My dad saw them at the Paradise theater in 1981.  He was 14 or 15 at the time, but he used to play at that club, and the manager told him he had to see this "new band from Ireland," so he got to sneak in and watch from the back for like 30 minutes.  He didn't see them again until the Joshua Tree tour.  He saw them twice in Boston on that one.  Next time he saw them was 30 years later with me, and he's 30 years older than I am.  That was apparently pretty surreal for him.

Wow, that is a great story about your Dad. Up to that time, those two Paradise shows are in my opinion the greatest U2 shows. My girlfriend taped it off the radio for me back in late 1993. Great show, so much energy. Make sure you write down your Dad's memories of that Paradise show.

I started taking notice of U2 in 1987. I slowly built my U2 album collection over the next few years. My first chance of seeing them was in 1992 on the ZOO TV Tour.
ZOO TV tour - saw this tour 4 times
Popmart tour - saw this tour 3 times
Elevation tour - saw this tour 5 times
Vertigo tour - saw this tour 4 times - including one of the Dublin shows at Croke Park
360 tour - saw this tour 3 times
Joshua Tree Tour 2017 - saw this tour twice - Philadelphia and the Washington D.C. show you were at.
Experience And Innocence tour - I'll be seeing this twice, once in Philadelphia and once in Washington D.C.

Arkansas is one of a small number of states in the country that has never had a visit from U2. St. Louis or Dallas are probably your closest U2 stops on most tours. For this upcoming tour, the Omaha Nebraska show on May 19 might be a better deal for you. Its on Saturday and its got tickets at most price levels still available. General Admission resell tickets are as low at $120.

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #68 on: April 08, 2018, 12:40:08 PM »
My car is also old and has a CD player (and no Bluetooth). My mom gave me her very old iPod Touch that she never used, and when I made the transition, kicking and screaming, I realized digital kicks CDs ass. If I had this iPod as a teen in 1990, it would have been the center of my world.

Those playlists can be made and refined or cemented. All that agony creating the perfect playlist and realizing you have a bum song that doesn't fit like you thought it would have, bye bye. And making a playlist and realizing this one song you don't have would b perfect right here? The song is $1.29 and away you go.

No scratches. No smudges. No thinking, gosh, I wish I brought X along, it's all already with you.

I have a simila car device but even simpler - no Bluetooth. I plug it into the iPod's earphone jack, set the car stereo to m private radio station, and I almost belong in 2018.

OMG Paradise in 1981? All I can say is that I've seen the club. From outside. To have seen them in 1981 is quite the badge of honor.

I almost never make mixed CDs, a few here and there. Generally I love listening to albums and listening to them in the order presented. I usually never skip around. So the new tech would not do anything for me. I spend a lot of time on the computer at home though, but when I'm out an about, I'm generally free of electronics. I have an old flip phone, but it remains turned off. I only turn it on if I need to call someone and a landline phone is not available. My car is 15 years old. Its only been in the past 3 or 4 years that I noticed when I rented a car that it did not have a CD player. After the second time of experiencing that I decided I would request a CD player whenever I booked a rental.

Online laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #69 on: April 08, 2018, 12:55:20 PM »
Was replying to SwimmingSorrows.

Offline SwimmingSorrows

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #70 on: April 08, 2018, 01:22:46 PM »
Ok replying to both of you now.

Yeah, him being at the Paradise 1981 show is pretty amazing.  I remember looking that up and finding it on YouTube for him, as WBCN had recorded it.  That radio station really helped to get them early traction in America, especially among the many Irish families in Boston.  (My dad has duel citizenship now).

My bluetooth thing does also have an aux input, but I usually just use the bluetooth as it connects automatically when I get in the car.  Digital is waaaay better than CDs.  Most of the playlists I made then were for this drive my friends and I did each year down to the beach in Alabama.  I would start making those things about the end of summer and keep cutting and adding tracks and reordering them on-and-off for months and leveling all the audio and getting the transitions right until it was time to go again.  Now, I just have all those on my phone. 

That's a lot of U2 shows.  I'm jealous.  Also, it's funny to think maybe I was one of the people you saw with their parents in D.C.

I considered the Tulsa, St. Louis, Nashville, and Omaha shows.  Tulsa is the closest, but I have a final the next day, so RIP.  Nashville's tickets were like $300 for GA last time I checked, so f*** that.  St. Louis is at about $160 now for GA, but I can stay with my friend who goes to Wash U, so I won't need to pay for a hotel.  It's also closer by over two hours.  Arkansas has an arena in Little Rock that has a capacity of 18,000, same sort of size they're playing now.  Paul McCartney, Green Day, and Fleetwood Mac have come here in the time I've been paying attention.  My guess is U2 don't think they'd sell it out if they came.  And they may be right, it's a pretty small city.

Online laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #71 on: April 08, 2018, 02:00:30 PM »
WBCN, my station back in the day. I'm a little too young to remember those early days but BCN was still giving them lots of love by 1987, when I started paying attention. I seem to remember it was Oedipus who started them off, am I wrong? I used to listen to his blues program on Sundays. I remember tuning to WBCN in 1991 (?) to get updates on the new album coming out, and I was tuned in for the premiere of The Fly (and recorded it on tape).

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #72 on: April 08, 2018, 05:07:17 PM »
Ok replying to both of you now.

Yeah, him being at the Paradise 1981 show is pretty amazing.  I remember looking that up and finding it on YouTube for him, as WBCN had recorded it.  That radio station really helped to get them early traction in America, especially among the many Irish families in Boston.  (My dad has duel citizenship now).

My bluetooth thing does also have an aux input, but I usually just use the bluetooth as it connects automatically when I get in the car.  Digital is waaaay better than CDs.  Most of the playlists I made then were for this drive my friends and I did each year down to the beach in Alabama.  I would start making those things about the end of summer and keep cutting and adding tracks and reordering them on-and-off for months and leveling all the audio and getting the transitions right until it was time to go again.  Now, I just have all those on my phone. 

That's a lot of U2 shows.  I'm jealous.  Also, it's funny to think maybe I was one of the people you saw with their parents in D.C.

I considered the Tulsa, St. Louis, Nashville, and Omaha shows.  Tulsa is the closest, but I have a final the next day, so RIP.  Nashville's tickets were like $300 for GA last time I checked, so f*** that.  St. Louis is at about $160 now for GA, but I can stay with my friend who goes to Wash U, so I won't need to pay for a hotel.  It's also closer by over two hours.  Arkansas has an arena in Little Rock that has a capacity of 18,000, same sort of size they're playing now.  Paul McCartney, Green Day, and Fleetwood Mac have come here in the time I've been paying attention.  My guess is U2 don't think they'd sell it out if they came.  And they may be right, it's a pretty small city.

Carter Alan was the first person to play them on U.S. radio. He was a DJ at WBCN. He wrote a couple of books about U2 which are pretty good. U2 - Outside Its America and the updated version of the book, U2 The Road To Pop. Some good reading about the early days and the Boston music scene back then.

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #73 on: April 08, 2018, 05:08:00 PM »
WBCN, my station back in the day. I'm a little too young to remember those early days but BCN was still giving them lots of love by 1987, when I started paying attention. I seem to remember it was Oedipus who started them off, am I wrong? I used to listen to his blues program on Sundays. I remember tuning to WBCN in 1991 (?) to get updates on the new album coming out, and I was tuned in for the premiere of The Fly (and recorded it on tape).

I think it was Carter Alan who played them first.

Online laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #74 on: April 08, 2018, 05:14:59 PM »
No, you're right, what was I thinking.