Author Topic: Europe ?  (Read 3510 times)

Offline habib2343

• Wanderer
Europe ?
« on: December 24, 2017, 03:34:46 PM »
Ok, so the band announced the e&i tour dates last month,,,but chose to postpone the announcement of the European dates. This is a bit odd as I recall they normally announce dates for NA and Europe before the ROW gets dates in bits and pieces. are they concerned with SOE sales  figures in Europe and will only announce dates in countries where a decent amount of albums have been bought ? The NA market is their gold dust to them, so they will always get gigs, but here in the UK, SOE received a muted response, only entering the charts at no.5. I think the public still have in their mind the fiasco of SOI downloading on to people's ipads, or it could just be U2 are not just the draw they were when it comes to album sales. I think London will get some dates, though am not sure about the rest of the country,,,

Of course come the new year and they announce loadsa shows, then the above is completely wrong..but I think they're waiting to see the impact of SOE in Europe before committing to gigs....

Offline EdgeUK8_my_mind

• Desert Rose
  • I need you to elevate me here
Re: Europe ?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2017, 12:04:51 PM »
Of course the tickets come with the album. Perhaps some fans have waited because they were going to get tickets anyways. Perhaps the band will use the ticket sales in Jan (?) to boost album sales?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Gavin82

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2017, 10:54:14 AM »
12 countrys is what i believe them too be playing in as when i pre ordered the CD it gave me choice of 12 EU countrys too pick from & the pre sale code could only be used for 1 of them which is very similar too 2015 which was 13 countrys if im correct

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2017, 02:50:21 PM »
Definitely Europe - a break in announcements Iím guessing more based on back to back Tours. Sales in NA are suffering because of it just now

Offline miracle_al

• Wanderer
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2017, 10:49:14 AM »
Agreed.  We have been spoiled here in America.  The band toured here in 2015, 2017, and will be coming again in the first half of 2018.  Candidly, I was shocked when I saw the North American e & I dates.  I thought for sure that they'd tour in Oceania first before returning to North America, but I understand the efficiencies of touring here.

Offline beppetorino

• Babyface
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2017, 01:00:04 AM »
The selling system as well as the price of the shows seemed to have affected the upcoming tour.
It's incredible watching how many tickets are still on sale.
Disgusting how many tickets are - as usual - in the hands of scalpers and how many so called verified (ridicolous) fans (of their own wallets) reselled nose bleedings seat for unbelievable values.

Offline habib2343

• Wanderer
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2018, 12:30:25 PM »
when they come back to the UK, they should play Wembley arena, I don't think they've played it in 30+years and is due a visit ,,,whilst they're at it , they can come to my flat and play a gig....

Offline ahusa

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2018, 02:37:46 AM »
Does anyone know if  U2 will take a break for a month before they start touring in Europe this year? Just like they did last year in the last part of the tour? Or would they start right on just after the North American leg?

Hope that I can enjoy my summer vacation at the same time as I travel for concerts, but if the concerts is in the autumn thatís most likely not going to happen.

And of course does anyone know when the concerts is about to be announced? It feels like Iíve been waiting a long time...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline 73October

• Running to Stand Still
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2018, 02:41:45 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
when they come back to the UK, they should play Wembley arena, I don't think they've played it in 30+years and is due a visit ,,,whilst they're at it , they can come to my flat and play a gig....

I think I heard "O2" slipped into one of the SOE promo radio interviews.  If that's the case then the O2 is better and bigger.  I saw the MTV EMA's on TV from Wembley Arena and now that seems to be the place for upcoming mainstream/slightly cult acts or else what gets booked when O2's booked.  There is no seating at the stage end of Wembley (I think) and so if the E&I is like I&E then the stage setup will need remodelling.
I've also heard Adam hint at Manchester during the radio interviews and Irish print media has speculated on Belfast & Dublin (again as per I&E?).

Offline Gavin82

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2018, 03:38:37 AM »

I know ive seen / herd people was hoping for Slane on there home turf but this just killed it.....

Offline kevincfcu2

• Babyface
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2018, 05:51:24 AM »

I know ive seen / herd people was hoping for Slane on there home turf but this just killed it.....

Kinda glad Slane is off the radar. Not a great venue I find.

Offline Dono

• Refugee
  • If I could, I would.....
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2018, 09:06:19 AM »
It's a great venue when you're there if it's not raining, or hasn't recently rained, and you've a robust bladder. But it's a pain to get to/from and the toilets are always a mess.

Offline opening night

• Wanderer
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2018, 11:47:47 AM »

The source of that story is the Irish Daily Mail. Buzz.ie and other media outlets are quoting it.

When it all comes down the whole article is crap. There is NO news in it. The source is weak. Of course they don't play Slane because it's an indoor tour. Of course they need to make stage smaller than in other countries. Same like in 2015. October is unlikely.

Offline Gavin82

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2018, 03:35:40 PM »
Why is Oct unlikely...?? i was thinking the dates be same near enough as 2015

Offline Zoostation07

• Babyface
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2018, 02:50:39 PM »
Adam mentioned Manchester in the Chris Evans interview on BBC Radio 2 at the end of last year. Following the dreadful terrorist attack last year I don't think it's surprising that they'd want to play at the arena there and show their support.

As far as I'm aware there aren't too many arenas in the UK that could handle e&i in terms of the staging and production - it is probably only the O2 and the Manchester Arena that could stage it. The rest of them are relatively small compared to the US and the newest one (Leeds) is a totally different layout (and wouldn't fit the e&i show) as it was designed as a concert venue over a multi-sports venue which the majority of the other arenas in the UK are.

My guess is that as London had 6 x i&e shows plus 2 x JT shows that they will skip the capital and play 2 nights in Manchester only in Britain - I'd imagine Glasgow will get a show. I guess as they are not billing it as '2 shows' as they did i&e then they won't be forced into playing 2 nights per city and will only play multiple shows in cities which sell well which means they could play in smaller cities, not just the key EU capitals as they did on e&i and JT as they needed those to sell out. Playing some cities 'off the beaten track' (for U2 anyway) might be a smart move as places like London and Paris have been saturated somewhat whereas a Manchester hasn't been visited for many years and you'll likely get a strong local following. I suppose the problem for them (U2) is the logistics of the whole thing - it makes an awful lot of sense in monetary terms to play multiple shows in one venue than to visit a couple of cities per country with one show each. I imagine also that the economics only make sense in terms of multiple shows per venue. 

U2 is still a draw in the UK - they sold out 6 nights at the O2 and 2 dates at Twickenham so they are still a big draw. They'll sell out in Manchester I'm sure as it's been a long time since they played northern England (360 Tour at Sheffield).

In terms of why the EU shows haven't been announced, I'm guessing it's because they were trailing the verified fan system for the first leg and they probably knew it was going to be a huge gamble / headache and they needed time to rethink the process with TM and LN.