Author Topic: long interview with Bono in Rolling Stone  (Read 2190 times)

Offline radiofreenewport

• Babyface
long interview with Bono in Rolling Stone
« on: December 27, 2017, 05:43:02 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

He's already getting hammered in a few places for his comments about R&R being too girly these days. It also sheds more light on his thoughts about the current direction in songwriting and trying to remain relevant in the streaming age.

Sure doesn't sound like a band ready to hang it up:

How does the rest of the band feel about the new songs?
I would say that Edge seems like someone who wants to be in the band more than ever.

Offline skelter

• Running to Stand Still
  • Drowning is no sin
Re: long interview with Bono in Rolling Stone
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2017, 06:15:02 PM »
If only we could have a massive, somewhat comprehensive, discussion on this exciting RS article, but factions were made a few months ago. Shrug.

Edit: who's hammering the "girly" comments? Girls on tumblr?

Offline summerholly

• Wanderer
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2017, 08:31:36 PM »
Thanks for posting the link.  I enjoyed reading it very much.  It was an engaging and insightful interview. 

I did however find the girly comment a bit odd having grown up with the likes of Joan Jett, Chrissie Hynde, Chrissy Amphlett, Heart etc. and not forgetting Janis Joplin who sadly was dead by the time I was old enough to appreciate her.  I also thought that Patti Smith was one of the significant early influences on the young U2.

There is nothing stopping young people making ummm "non girly music" is there?

Like it or not I guess a comment like that is going to start discussion which could potentially overshadow the rest of the interview which is a shame.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 08:40:10 PM by summerholly »

Offline Vox

• Running to Stand Still
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2017, 11:02:37 PM »
If only we could have a massive, somewhat comprehensive, discussion on this exciting RS article, but factions were made a few months ago. Shrug.

Really, it’s up to you to come up with something comprehensive or massive for a topic discussion.  Apples to apples, but back in the day, a post like this probably could ended up with a call/answer witticism about Adam’s abs (prly jealous) or takedown of “Song for Someone” (don’t care for it either, but c’mon, it’s off topic) and a few sel-congratulatory winks.

So...  something interesting to me from the interview is did the Edge come up with that riff to “Summer of Love Himself?”  Because I didn’t see any “sampled by,” or “inspired by” in the album jacket.

Offline summerholly

• Wanderer
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2017, 12:38:30 AM »

So...  something interesting to me from the interview is did the Edge come up with that riff to “Summer of Love Himself?”  Because I didn’t see any “sampled by,” or “inspired by” in the album jacket.

That crossed my mind but when I re read that bit I think it was probably just Bono drawing on a parallel process as an example.  Maybe the process inspired Edge but not sure that you have to acknowledge inspiration unless you want to especially if the end result is original. 

Offline 73October

• Running to Stand Still
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2017, 03:21:14 AM »
I just re-read the part where Bono commented on the industry.  He said that the music scene was girly and only hip-hop is addressing anger (from a male point of view).
So some of the best selling artistes over here in the UK are:
Taylor Swift
Ed Sheeran
Sam Smith
Rita Ora
Clean Bandit
Pink
Craig David
Dua Lipa
Whilst some of these artistes are quite good, they ain't exactly rock 'n' roll are they?  Even some of the males get very girly tastes (Ed Sheeran - he's the kind of artist that has a massive girl fan base).

Offline summerholly

• Wanderer
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2017, 03:47:12 AM »
I just re-read the part where Bono commented on the industry.  He said that the music scene was girly and only hip-hop is addressing anger (from a male point of view).
So some of the best selling artistes over here in the UK are:
Taylor Swift
Ed Sheeran
Sam Smith
Rita Ora
Clean Bandit
Pink
Craig David
Dua Lipa
Whilst some of these artistes are quite good, they ain't exactly rock 'n' roll are they?  Even some of the males get very girly tastes (Ed Sheeran - he's the kind of artist that has a massive girl fan base).

I just think it was not the best way of wording it.  He fights against stereo typing.  Janis Joplin way back in the sixties rocked hard to try and break these stereo types and there have been many great women of rock over the years and women who love rock.  I am sure U2 and Bono has had a large base of female fans, does that make him girly?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 03:50:58 AM by summerholly »

Offline radiofreenewport

• Babyface
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2017, 04:42:10 AM »

I learned about the interview because a few stories showed up in my Google Assistant feed and they all highlighted the "girly" comment. Jezebel, Vulture, and (IIRC) Salon already have posts criticizing or mocking him, and other headlines highlighted the quote in their headlines. I assume that if those showed up so quickly after the interview was posted, that there are more.

Anyone's who paid attention to Bono over the years knows that he's not a sexist and values strong women (Ali, Ultraviolet tribute, etc.), but it was still a really dumb thing to say. As summerholly said, it's probably going to overshadow everything else he said.

Bono has certainly earned his right to have big opinions about the world, the music industry, etc., but increasingly, he sounds like an out of touch uncle trying to sound hip to the teens at the family reunion. I get that he generates press attention for the record, but if longtime fans like me and my best mate wish that he would just shut up for a while, the attention is probably not helpful to fans who are less sympathetic than us.

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2017, 08:52:54 AM »
Nice to read him commenting a bit more on Aung San Suu Kyi. I think it's safe to say Walk On is gone from the setlists forever.

The comments on the statue of David were a bit out of nowhere and jarring. Bono seems to have a weird fixation on male circumcision. It's not the first time I've seen him mention the subject.

Offline summerholly

• Wanderer
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2017, 10:35:54 AM »
Nice to read him commenting a bit more on Aung San Suu Kyi. I think it's safe to say Walk On is gone from the setlists forever.

The comments on the statue of David were a bit out of nowhere and jarring. Bono seems to have a weird fixation on male circumcision. It's not the first time I've seen him mention the subject.

Yes the David/Elvis/circumcision thing was just a bit quirky, which is very Bono really!  I guess it has to do with his take on Christianity which he clearly thinks about a lot.  Bono does tend to put himself out there in terms of saying what he thinks and feels!  Perhaps too much information at times but it does give an insight into the man!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 10:40:58 AM by summerholly »

Offline Luzita

• Stateless
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2017, 03:16:16 PM »
Let’s be honest, Bono is a full-blown eccentric. Also a genius. (Those two things frequently go together.) He often comes out with brilliant, original insights, but some of what he says is just weird. (Again, those frequently go together.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • Nashville, Montreal 1 & 2
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2017, 03:38:56 PM »
Thanks for posting the link.  I enjoyed reading it very much.  It was an engaging and insightful interview. 

I did however find the girly comment a bit odd having grown up with the likes of Joan Jett, Chrissie Hynde, Chrissy Amphlett, Heart etc. and not forgetting Janis Joplin who sadly was dead by the time I was old enough to appreciate her.  I also thought that Patti Smith was one of the significant early influences on the young U2.

There is nothing stopping young people making ummm "non girly music" is there?

Like it or not I guess a comment like that is going to start discussion which could potentially overshadow the rest of the interview which is a shame.

Well yes it will. Women have infiltrated every male space and made it their own. Even rock which was a bastion and preserve of male anger and libido has been co-opted by feminine values. It's time for the boys of the world to create a new art form to express their biological differences.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • Nashville, Montreal 1 & 2
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2017, 03:48:17 PM »

I learned about the interview because a few stories showed up in my Google Assistant feed and they all highlighted the "girly" comment. Jezebel, Vulture, and (IIRC) Salon already have posts criticizing or mocking him, and other headlines highlighted the quote in their headlines. I assume that if those showed up so quickly after the interview was posted, that there are more.

Anyone's who paid attention to Bono over the years knows that he's not a sexist and values strong women (Ali, Ultraviolet tribute, etc.), but it was still a really dumb thing to say. As summerholly said, it's probably going to overshadow everything else he said.

Bono has certainly earned his right to have big opinions about the world, the music industry, etc., but increasingly, he sounds like an out of touch uncle trying to sound hip to the teens at the family reunion. I get that he generates press attention for the record, but if longtime fans like me and my best mate wish that he would just shut up for a while, the attention is probably not helpful to fans who are less sympathetic than us.

He's just a mysognist like Matt Damon. Time to break up his 40 year marriage, sieze his property, burn his records and make him top himself like Carl Sergeant or Dan Johnson. That will teach to him not make comments about women ever again in public.

Offline 73October

• Running to Stand Still
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2017, 04:05:24 PM »
I'm clearly not a feminist, as I agree with Bono and I'm a woman.  It's time for another Chrissie Hynde/Debbie Harry.  Too long since the last one.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2017, 04:30:56 PM »
I agree; Bono is definitely a genius.  The breadth of his knowledge astounds me, as well as his originality.