Author Topic: long interview with Bono in Rolling Stone  (Read 3650 times)

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
Re: long interview with Bono in Rolling Stone
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2017, 04:33:15 PM »
I also agree that the music of today is a bit wussified.  That's probably a better word for it than girly, but I think girly gets the job done.

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2017, 06:18:14 PM »
The more hardcore feminists on my Facebook are crucifying Bono for his “misogyny.” Poor Bono can’t catch a break.

Offline Luzita

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2017, 07:22:44 PM »
The tendency among a certain crowd to completely condemn a person for one un-PC statement boggles my mind. Especially when it requires ignoring a body of work, not to mention a life lived, that demonstrates Bono is the opposite of misogynistic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2017, 07:24:12 PM »
So shineinthesummernight being a girl and being a wuss is automatically linked? God I just hate that stereotyping of women!  Goodness I run a farm and do most of the fencing, livestock management and running machinery myself.  My lovely neighbouring male farmers don't consider me a wuss or think I am invading their space.

There is more than ample opportunity for young men to do what they like in the music industry.  I don't much care for the current day music either but it must be what young people are creating and wanting and are buying?  It is up to the younger generation to create the sound that they want to listen to. 

Please don't blame it on women if you don't like the sound.

On Bono yes he is a genius and although I think that kind of comment can be divisive I certainly don't take him for a misogynist and still love the guy for his music and genius and largely what he stands for.  I just wish he had given a more thoughtful insight into the current music industry and young men than simply "girly"
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 07:28:51 PM by summerholly »

Offline JaraSangASongAWeapon

• Party Girl/Boy
  • And the moon turned red over One Tree Hill
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2017, 07:34:41 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The tendency among a certain crowd to completely condemn a person for one un-PC statement boggles my mind. Especially when it requires ignoring a body of work, not to mention a life lived, that demonstrates Bono is the opposite of misogynistic.

100% agree, though Bono doesn't need to give red meat to the anti U2 crowd and all the publications looking to knock him and the band down a few pegs. Also, I don't think the interview was necessary...do we really need to hear all these words from Bono, much of it recycling answers from recent interviews, and not talk to other band members? It's the relentless focus on Bono that is part of the problem with media coverage of U2.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • St Louis,Omaha,Montreal 1&2, NJ, NYC 3,Belfast 1,2
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2017, 07:40:53 PM »

Well the PCers are the new fascists.

Offline BalconyTV

• Numb
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2017, 08:17:16 PM »
Jaysus. Bono gets it hard these days. I am so tired and worn out by the abuse he gets. I am tempted to say its time he backed out of public life. No interviews period. They should either become a band thats totally about the music. Do gigs and release music. Let the others talk. Let Larry talk for f*** sake. He says nothing. If I was him now I would think its not worth the hassle. I also agree that the interview was largely pointless.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2017, 08:22:29 PM »
Well, Summer, surprise, I'm a girl, but I just don't get all freaked out over every little comment or microaggression or whatever it's called.  Sorry, should I be more sensitive and thus tuned in to the zeitgeist?  I honestly don't think Bono meant anything demeaning by it so it's no big deal to me. 

Offline Clarky

• Numb
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2017, 08:42:03 PM »
It was one slightly poor-chosen word. He didn't mean anything by it. He's the furthest thing from a misogynist. Unbelievable the kind of storm in a teacup people feel like stirring up these days.

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2017, 09:17:04 PM »
Well, Summer, surprise, I'm a girl, but I just don't get all freaked out over every little comment or microaggression or whatever it's called.  Sorry, should I be more sensitive and thus tuned in to the zeitgeist?  I honestly don't think Bono meant anything demeaning by it so it's no big deal to me.

I think its a shame that a woman would see girly and wussy as the same thing.  Zeitgeist? My father from a very much older generation certainly wouldn't have made that automatic connection either and he was in the armed forces.

Bono most likely didn't mean anything demeaning by it but millions of people listen to what he has to say and many look up to him, he has a lot of female fans and many people are just waiting for an excuse to pull him down so really it wasn't helpful pulling out that old stereotype.  Just my opinion. 

Anyway men are pretty much up in the top positions in the charts and I am sure their music is more a reflection on what this generation are looking for in music and perhaps even how men see themselves.  I don't know but I am sure that young men are more than capable of defining themselves and their music.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2017, 09:24:32 PM »

It is called microaggression. The world tried to placate feminists but then feminists created something else to get bothered about. They keep creating new terms. What I am doing right is 'forum-violence'.

Offline 73October

• Staring at the Sun
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2017, 05:50:33 AM »

Yes this is what we are becoming - tolerant of many things but intolerant of those that don't speak as we do.  So Bono uses the word 'girly' to highlight a point in a particular context, and whole sections of the online community get a bee in their bonnet. Give Bono a break.  He's looking for the next Patti Smith but he can't see one heading for the charts (and neither can I).
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 05:54:57 AM by 73October »

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2017, 05:56:25 AM »

Yes this is what we are becoming - tolerant of many things but intolerant of those that don't speak as we do.  So Bono uses the word 'girly' to highlight a point in a particular context, and whole sections of the online community get a bee in their bonnet. Give Bono a break.  He's looking for the next Patti Smith but he can't see one heading for the charts (and neither can I).

Theresa May is just also part of the patriarchy.

Whoops...wait, I mean.

Offline noelle510

• Refugee
  • Anytime you're on the earth...is kissing time
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2017, 08:34:53 AM »
Bono hasn't heard Sleater-Kinney? Lots of rage from them. Anyway, I think he's referring to pop music, not rock 'n' roll since it seems that the dominant music styles are easy listening pop and hip hop. the 1980s were the last time rock was dominant, in the 1990s it was switching over to hip hop. We have always had to contend with easy listening pop so I don't know where Bono is coming from. I give him props for praising Eddie Vedder and Pearl Jam.

Offline Luzita

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2017, 08:56:16 AM »
Jaysus. Bono gets it hard these days. I am so tired and worn out by the abuse he gets. I am tempted to say its time he backed out of public life. No interviews period. They should either become a band thats totally about the music. Do gigs and release music. Let the others talk. Let Larry talk for f*** sake. He says nothing. If I was him now I would think its not worth the hassle. I also agree that the interview was largely pointless.

Agree, I am also worn out from the abuse toward Bono. He's far from perfect but the people who hate him do so mostly because of his virtues, not his flaws. He's not only too smart and talented, he's also too passionate and effective a fighter for humanitarian causes, therefore he must be cut down.

I don't feel the interview was pointless, though. There was stuff that we on this forum have heard before because we follow the band closely, but to most people it would have been new. And even for us, there was some new information in the interview.

As for Bono shutting up and withdrawing from public life, it might give him more peace but it will never happen.