Author Topic: What should be U2's next album?  (Read 2042 times)

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
What should be U2's next album?
« on: December 27, 2017, 07:11:34 PM »
What should be U2's next album? By this I mean should they do Songs Of Ascent next or the Rick Rubin produced album?

Offline jjack339

• Stateless
Re: What should be U2's next album?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 12:34:05 AM »
they should go really heavy. I mean like The Blackout and American Soul really did it for me. I was so pumped listening to those songs. Mix it with Little Things like songs.

But I think they need to go heavy, heavier then they ever have before.

Offline BalconyTV

• Numb
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 04:13:41 AM »
No. Sadly I think they should get this tour out of the way. And literally disappear for a while. They should find out if they have any remaining passion for the craft, as opposed to being the worlds biggest band, blah blah. They should forego lots of producers and make an album they want to make. I'd favor something more out there and esoteric as opposed to anything remotely pop focused. Then they should release the album to fans without any fanfare. I think it could be 5 years at least before we see another album...if we see another album. As much as I like this new album, the marketing/ videos and singles have just worn me down. Although U2 have always stood in the face of cool... I think they need to try discover it now :P

Offline hollywoodswag

• Stateless
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 04:34:30 AM »
I agree. The back catalogue that they have is unmatched, in my opinion. I don't understand this desperate need for relevance that seems to consume them these days. They're pushing SOE like it's their debut album and they're just starting to attempt to make their way in this world. They need to stop worrying so much about approval and they really need to stop pushing their way into the limelight. The world doesn't need a reminder of their existence, and they need to stop trying to be pop stars in their twenties and low thirties.

Offline Marvinho

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2017, 07:39:58 AM »
Passengers "Original Soundtracks: Volume 2" but call it a U2 LP. Release it with no hype or warning at all then retire.

Offline mc

• Stateless
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2017, 09:43:36 AM »
They need to scrap the current direction and forget SOA.
Do an untitled black covered heavy album. Very dark heavy songs with instrumentals.
With a bonus CD of unreleased stuff like Mercy.

Offline radiofreenewport

• Babyface
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2017, 01:32:57 PM »
I'd love for them to go back in a a Zooropa/Passsengers direction, or maybe Songs of Ascent if it has more Fez/Being Born-type of stuff on it, but I don't think they have it in them. Given Bono's and Edge's recent comments about writing real songs instead of relying on textures, I think they'll continue to chase pop relevance. The only caveat is if the new songs sink live and they lose faith in them like they did with NLOTH, where they were barely playing any new songs by the end of the tour.

Offline Bundang Dave

• Running to Stand Still
  • It's not what I want; it's what I need.
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2017, 05:11:41 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
they should go really heavy. I mean like The Blackout and American Soul really did it for me. I was so pumped listening to those songs. Mix it with Little Things like songs.

But I think they need to go heavy, heavier then they ever have before.

I like this idea. I tend to prefer their really heavy or really quiet tracks to their more anthemic ones.

But I also wouldn't mind a Passengers-like album featuring more songs like Book of your Heart, Love is All We Have Left, Neon Lights, Cedars of Lebanon, Soon, etc.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 05:13:41 PM by Bundang Dave »

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2017, 06:36:32 PM »
I think they should go ahead and do "Songs Of Ascent" next. I want to hear final recorded versions of Mercy, Winter, and other songs similar to them.

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2017, 06:38:00 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Passengers "Original Soundtracks: Volume 2" but call it a U2 LP. Release it with no hype or warning at all then retire.

Why would they retire?

Asteroid41

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2018, 11:25:15 AM »
U2's next album should be Songs Of Essence

Offline Dali

• Child of Grace
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2018, 03:04:42 PM »
They should go for 'all feel', undiluted. Purity instead of control. More soul and rawness than intention and control.

Overprocessed music is more boring than improvisational music. And there are only 2 kinds of music: good music and boring music.

If that means putting all their remaining unfinished song sketches in a box, locking it up and then starting from scratch, then so be it. They can always go back to those sketches later, if they feel they need to.

And don't worry about stepping on people's shoes with the lyrics. People won't mind because it's U2.

Offline DrDoom171

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2018, 11:12:09 AM »
I like the dark and/or heavy idea that a few of you have suggested, plus some 6 minute long epic-type songs with patented Edge guitar work.  I'd love to have an album full of songs like Acrobat, Bullet, Please, Gone, All I want is you, So cruel, Streets, New Years Day, Zooropa, Exit, etc.

Offline Coop15879

• Wanderer
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2018, 05:10:50 PM »
Songs of Experience has given me hope this band has more vital and great music to make in the years ahead.  Springsteen, my other all-time artist, has not released an album of all new material in nearly six years (Wrecking Ball, 2012) and he was the one artist who I thought would not get stuck on the legacy train.  I look forward to hearing that new song. 

Offline Argo

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2018, 08:53:34 PM »
I really don't care. They should do whatever they feel like doing. The main thing I would like them to do is to put a time limit on it so it doesn't become over processed. That is what seemingly happened with Pop as they had to get the album out. Worked pretty well then. Moment of Surrender was also done in a day.

That approach would also get us a new album quicker, but alas given a tour ahead and then presumably a decent break before they even think about another album, whatever is next is probably 5 years away at least.

We probably have a Joshua Tree tour DVD to look forward to for Xmas 2018, a SOE tour DVD for Xmas 2019, then a greatest hits 2000 to 2020 for Xmas 2020. 2021 might be quiet, then a new album in 2022!