Author Topic: What should be U2's next album?  (Read 2041 times)

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
Re: What should be U2's next album?
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2018, 10:26:13 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I really don't care. They should do whatever they feel like doing. The main thing I would like them to do is to put a time limit on it so it doesn't become over processed. That is what seemingly happened with Pop as they had to get the album out. Worked pretty well then. Moment of Surrender was also done in a day.

That approach would also get us a new album quicker, but alas given a tour ahead and then presumably a decent break before they even think about another album, whatever is next is probably 5 years away at least.

We probably have a Joshua Tree tour DVD to look forward to for Xmas 2018, a SOE tour DVD for Xmas 2019, then a greatest hits 2000 to 2020 for Xmas 2020. 2021 might be quiet, then a new album in 2022!

2022 for the next album is a definite possibility as the tour next year will likely go into 2019 and then they will really need to take a break from touring. Hitting North America in 2015, 2017, 2018, and likely 2019 is really over saturating the market for them live given their usual schedule in the past. Its possible they could release an album in late 2020 and then tour in 2021 although that might be to quick of a return to the road. The 20s are coming. What might the 20s bring in terms of music?

Offline u2live

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2018, 06:45:10 AM »
Their next album should be their last one, release it in 2020 that way they get another #1 in the USA and be the only band with #1 albums in 5 decades as it seems those are their goals now.

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2018, 09:29:28 PM »
Their next album should be their last one, release it in 2020 that way they get another #1 in the USA and be the only band with #1 albums in 5 decades as it seems those are their goals now.

Why should their next album be their last?

Offline KenKaniff

• Wanderer
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2018, 09:45:26 PM »
U2 should do whatever they want for their next album.

Offline iced

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • You don't see me but you will..I am not invisible.
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2018, 04:25:45 AM »
A quick dump...

No need to wait another 4 or 5 years in this environment.

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2018, 10:31:35 AM »
A quick dump...

No need to wait another 4 or 5 years in this environment.

They will have to wait close to that amount of time to allow the market to recover for the tour. They have hit some of the same cities in North America on tours in 2015, 2017, and now 2018 and potentially 2019. They have not toured that often since the early 80s in North America. They will need a good break after the next tour to allow the market to recover so they can play to full houses again.

Offline georgemccauley

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2018, 03:11:34 PM »
Crumbs From Your Table type rock n roll. All 4 of them in the room together type record.

Similar to how Noel Gallagher puts it

Offline ShankAsu

• Child of Grace
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2018, 05:03:45 PM »
i don't think they're thinking about a next album right now.  They just completed their five year plan, or will with the upcoming tour.  There is no Songs of Ascent out there.  It became the two albums they've just released.

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2018, 04:48:18 PM »
i don't think they're thinking about a next album right now.  They just completed their five year plan, or will with the upcoming tour.  There is no Songs of Ascent out there.  It became the two albums they've just released.

Every time Bono has been asked about "Songs Of Ascent" he says it is still coming. U2 have often had their albums loosely grouped in groups of 3 since the start of their career. Songs Of Ascent would be the last album in their latest trilogy.

Songs like Mercy and Winter would be on Songs Of Ascent. Both of those great songs need a final version and an album for them to be on. I imagine it would have a lot of songs like that. Big soaring, spiritual songs that last for 6 or 7 minutes each. The question would be if they would edit or have any shorter songs on the album that could be played on the radio.

Offline CLarryG

• Babyface
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2018, 06:27:27 PM »
No. Sadly I think they should get this tour out of the way. And literally disappear for a while. They should find out if they have any remaining passion for the craft, as opposed to being the worlds biggest band, blah blah. They should forego lots of producers and make an album they want to make. I'd favor something more out there and esoteric as opposed to anything remotely pop focused. Then they should release the album to fans without any fanfare. I think it could be 5 years at least before we see another album...if we see another album. As much as I like this new album, the marketing/ videos and singles have just worn me down. Although U2 have always stood in the face of cool... I think they need to try discover it now :P

I agree 100%!  Every part of this.  (I just hope Live Nation, Guy Oseary leave them be.)

Offline welshguy77

• Babyface
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2018, 12:18:30 PM »
They should do what they want as it's their music and should be what they enjoy.  I would like something darker or heavier myself.

Offline Bundang Dave

• Running to Stand Still
  • It's not what I want; it's what I need.
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2018, 12:36:14 PM »
They should do what they want as it's their music and should be what they enjoy.  I would like something darker or heavier myself.

Agreed 100%.

If they do come out with Songs of Ascent, I hope they follow up with a darker, heavier Songs of Descent.

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2018, 12:46:18 PM »

Agreed 100%.

If they do come out with Songs of Ascent, I hope they follow up with a darker, heavier Songs of Descent.

I disagree. That is not the spirit of U2. U2 at their best is Joyful, hopeful, uplifting. Think of the Unforgettable Fire album.

Offline jono2u

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • "i was born to sing for you"
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2018, 08:31:15 AM »
i think they should do a Dalton Brothers tribute album and also re-work their favourite country and western hits

Offline jonnydeaf

• Stateless
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2018, 01:17:27 PM »
I'd love a u2 record of new, well-rehearsed songs recorded live in the studio.  The four of them in one place, playing it live, like they might have done in 1980.  Basically, record a well-rehearsed 8-track demo and release it.  Lots of raw playing.  If they wanted to do the show live with these unknown, un-leaked, new songs, in a small club setting, I'd be for that too.

I loved that Roxy show on SoI, and I seem to enjoy the alternate acoustic versions from SoI and SoE.