Author Topic: Anybody know how Bono almost died?  (Read 16656 times)

Offline michaelz

• Wanderer
Anybody know how Bono almost died?
« on: December 29, 2017, 07:12:57 PM »
Any rumours out there as to how Bono almost died?

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 07:14:37 PM by michaelz »

Offline connorfin22

• Intellectual Tortoise
Re: Anybody know how Bono almost died?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 07:47:53 PM »
Nope. All we know was it was not the bike accident, and all he said was that it was a "shock to the system"

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 07:48:12 PM »
Who knows, probably something medical.  When you get to that age that happens and it is scary.  I have had several close male friends in that age group go through a frightening potentially fatal diagnosis and it leaves you vulnerable to your own mortality.  Doesn't matter how close you are to family and friends it is still very much a journey you have to go your own and sometimes it works out and you feel the luckiest person ever and for one friend that was the case, and for 2 of my friends it didn't work out, so I can understand what he is saying. 

Offline durk

• Wanderer
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 08:10:41 PM »
i'm guessing it was heart.

Offline chriskellyco

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2017, 09:35:07 PM »
Smoker (even former)/drinker = heart.  Or stroke.  We'd know if it was a stroke.

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2017, 09:58:10 PM »
Smoker (even former)/drinker = heart.  Or stroke.  We'd know if it was a stroke.

Smoker can equate to a number of things including lung, pancreas and bowel.  A heavy smoker friend of mine died of pancreatic cancer in his fifties as did Patrick Swayze also a heavy smoker.  Other male specific issues tend to also start making themselves known according to my male friends and the mens' health van that comes out to visit farmers in our remote areas.  Could be anything really, not good to dwell on.  Just good he is okay!
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 10:35:52 PM by summerholly »

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • St Louis,Omaha,Montreal 1&2, NJ, NYC 3,Belfast 1,2
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2017, 12:12:43 AM »
Personally I think that he is over dramatising his health scare. I think that he used the experience as a tool for creative focus.

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2017, 12:38:40 AM »
Personally I think that he is over dramatising his health scare. I think that he used the experience as a tool for creative focus.

Not necessarily.  Over dramatised when he looked at it in hindsight which is probably one reason he doesn't want to say more, but at the time he was experiencing it probably not.  What he said about it in his interview I recognised that fear as true, I knew what he meant.  I don't believe that you can fake something like that for creative focus.  Either the fear is real or it isn't, there is no in between.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 12:40:58 AM by summerholly »

Offline cocamojoe

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2017, 02:31:53 AM »
My guess is that his bicycle accident was either far more serious than weve been led to believe; or that it has had some lasting, previously unforeseen long term effects; or that he had a heart attack.

Offline connorfin22

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2017, 02:52:48 AM »
My guess is that his bicycle accident was either far more serious than weve been led to believe; or that it has had some lasting, previously unforeseen long term effects; or that he had a heart attack.

No, he said it was an event that happened around Christmas 2016.

Offline ShankAsu

• Desert Rose
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2017, 08:12:48 AM »
i don't think we will know until a much later date.  Possibly not even until after the band members eventually pass years from now.  Bono has made it clear he thinks it would be disrespectful for him to comment on it to those who dealt with the same thing and didn't survive.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • St Louis,Omaha,Montreal 1&2, NJ, NYC 3,Belfast 1,2
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2017, 08:43:51 AM »

Not necessarily.  Over dramatised when he looked at it in hindsight which is probably one reason he doesn't want to say more, but at the time he was experiencing it probably not.  What he said about it in his interview I recognised that fear as true, I knew what he meant.  I don't believe that you can fake something like that for creative focus.  Either the fear is real or it isn't, there is no in between.

The comment sparks fans imagination for sure. U2 are imagineers and that's a good thing. Unless we get the word from the man we'll never know. Please don't deny that death is not a major theme on SOE with the passing of Prince, Bowie etc.

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2017, 09:30:54 AM »

The comment sparks fans imagination for sure. U2 are imagineers and that's a good thing. Unless we get the word from the man we'll never know. Please don't deny that death is not a major theme on SOE with the passing of Prince, Bowie etc.

Not sure what you mean about denying death as a major theme? I haven't listened to SOE enough yet to form an opinion on its theme so am in no position to comment on that one. 

My thoughts are that Bono experienced something major in his life which resulted in true fear and the possibility of facing his mortality.  How he described it in his interview left me in no doubt.  It is not something you could ever over dramatise for creativity sake, you wouldn't need to, it is frightening enough and it does indeed make you look deep in to yourself.  I can quite believe that with his experience and the loss of Prince and Bowie would indeed influence his lyrics and music.  That general age group of rock stars seem to departing alarmingly, thinking of the recent loss of Tom Petty, George and Malcolm Young as well.   
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 10:18:15 AM by summerholly »

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2017, 11:41:01 PM »
He said he was arrested. Im thinking cardiac arrest.

Offline popsadie

• Stateless
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2017, 02:14:58 AM »
In the RS interview, he also mentioned feeling suffocated, which seems to support the cardiac arrest hypothesis.