Author Topic: Anybody know how Bono almost died?  (Read 16771 times)

Offline PROJ2823

• Refugee
Re: Anybody know how Bono almost died?
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2017, 03:32:57 AM »
Most probably he was not in real mortal danger, but got a health scare. Maybe they found a clogged artery for which they had to place a stent or found something in a routine investigation that was suspect but was actually bening.

Offline BorneOfSound

• Stateless
  • Are you tough enough to be kind?
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2017, 09:19:40 AM »
Don’t know. It’s not important for us to know really. But every time I hear Lights Of Home, I can see someone holding on to life while being presented with the very real possibility of entering a tunnel with a bright light at the end of it (image people who’ve had near death experiences often cite) and not returning. Particularly in the strings version. It’s very immediate and it’s like the writer is holding on tightly, knowing that letting go is the end.
I think they’ve always talked about death on pretty much every album in some way. But they’ve never made it more clear and give the feeling like “oh sh$t this might actually happen to me soon because no one lives forever”. I think it made the music that much better actually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline missey

• Child of Grace
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2017, 01:30:41 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Most probably he was not in real mortal danger, but got a health scare. Maybe they found a clogged artery for which they had to place a stent or found something in a routine investigation that was suspect but was actually bening.

This was my guess as well.  If not taken care of right away a clogged artery can cause death.  It can also cause shortness of breath which would explain the suffocating comment. 

Offline connorfin22

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2017, 05:09:46 PM »
In the RS interview, he also mentioned feeling suffocated, which seems to support the cardiac arrest hypothesis.

I think that was metaphorical. I doubt he said that to describe a symptom of cardiac arrest.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • St Louis,Omaha,Montreal 1&2, NJ, NYC 3,Belfast 1,2
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2017, 05:48:22 PM »
In the RS interview, he also mentioned feeling suffocated, which seems to support the cardiac arrest hypothesis.

I think that was metaphorical. I doubt he said that to describe a symptom of cardiac arrest.

So many people take what U2 say literally. I estimate one should about 10 percent. Bono also likes to use the roots of words in his interview word play. See how he does this recently in interviews with 'primates' and 'primaries'.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2017, 05:50:37 PM »
Here is a video created by a dumbass who thinks RBW is actually about wolves.

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2017, 06:31:31 PM »

That was my thought as well.  When you are waiting on a potentially bad diagnosis that is exactly how you feel.  But who knows.

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2018, 11:08:56 AM »

That was my thought as well.  When you are waiting on a potentially bad diagnosis that is exactly how you feel.  But who knows.

He said he had his hands above his head, which I have been told is the position the medics put you in as they try to restart your heart.

Offline JTNash

• Numb
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2018, 11:38:42 AM »
No need for hands above your head for AED or CPR

Offline flyguy

• Babyface
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2018, 02:24:05 PM »
With respect to the topic under discussion - which is certainly fair game, as Bono's health scare did play a major influencing role in the subject matter of the album - it's important to make a distinction about the cardiac episodes in general:

A heart attack is when the heart muscle is damaged due to a restriction of oxygen/blood flow to the heart itself. The symptoms of a heart attack are chest pain, profuse sweating, nausea (and sometimes vomiting), pain in the jaw/teeth and/or left arm and sometimes across the back, and (in many cases) a sensation of either tightness in the chest (many describe it "like there's an elephant sitting on me"), extreme shortness of breath and impending doom. A heart attack, if severe and left unattended, can lead to cardiac arrest ...

Cardiac arrest is when the heart stops completely (sometimes without warning) and death is imminent UNLESS the heart is either revived or kickstarted back into action via defibrillation, electro-stimulation or (in very, very rare cases) CPR.

That being detailed, and knowing Bono's cleverness in alluding to things via the written word and/or in his song lyrics, I think everything he said in the liner notes of SONGS OF EXPERIENCE makes it clear to those who are keen on reading between the lines that he underwent some kind of cardiac episode and that doctors performed a lifesaving procedure to get him back on track.

This would also explain - and those of us who've had loved ones go through something similar will attest to this - Bono's leaner appearance as of recent days, especially in his face, which is much less puffy and more gaunt-looking (which is to his credit). When both a family member and a colleague of mine suffered a heart attack, doctors put them on medication which served to both help take some weight off their frames and reduce fluid retention in the tissues, which is important for anyone with a heart condition. Anyone who recalls when both Bill Clinton and David Lettermen underwent quadruple bypass to fix their own heart issues, the situation preceding their surgeries were particularly dire. Clinton required emergency surgery and Letterman himself told a story on-air after he recovered from his own that he went to the doctor for what was a routine checkup and was told, after emergency surgery to repair the damage, that he basically had 80 to 90 percent blockage of his coronary arteries and was at the doorstep of death. In terms of cardiac health, both Clinton and Letterman were former smokers and drinkers and had horrible diets. Yet when Clinton was discharged and Letterman returned the air, both men were noticeably leaner, especially in their faces.

Prior to Bono's "health scare" (and I don't think anyone will deny this) he was a well-known bon vivant (he smoked both cigarettes and cigars for years in the 90s, has always enjoyed drink - often to excess - and did not always have the best diet on occasion - as evidenced by his liking for pizza, McDonald's and, yes, In-and-Out burgers). This would likely explain why he seemed a bit puffier facially in the last 15 years or so and carried a bit more weight on him physically - i.e. those who know his propensity for holding the lapel of his jackets/shirts closed around his midsection will know he's always been self-conscious about his weight).

However, given how much better and healthier he looks (and the latest ROLLING STONE cover is the best visual proof of that), whatever ordeal he went through, not to mention surgery, suggests he has been put on meds to lose weight and/or told to change his habits and/or diet. All of that might also explain why he's been so reluctant to talk about it. After all, he's the lead singer of the world's most legendary and headlining rock band, and there's nothing more humbling or un-rock 'n roll than admitting you're a mere mortal with a cardiovascular condition. It's not so inconceivable a concept either, given how his own mum died of a stroke that such an issue could be hereditary.

In any case, I'm very glad he was able to get the medical attention necessary to address and/or fix whatever happened to him. I can only hope he's now living a healthier lifestyle and that it will keep him keen on crooning for a few more albums, at the very least.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2018, 03:53:22 PM »

He said he had his hands above his head, which I have been told is the position the medics put you in as they try to restart your heart.

When I was with Bono this year he told me to put my hand against the screen.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2018, 04:11:04 PM »
With respect to the topic under discussion - which is certainly fair game, as Bono's health scare did play a major influencing role in the subject matter of the album - it's important to make a distinction about the cardiac episodes in general:

A heart attack is when the heart muscle is damaged due to a restriction of oxygen/blood flow to the heart itself. The symptoms of a heart attack are chest pain, profuse sweating, nausea (and sometimes vomiting), pain in the jaw/teeth and/or left arm and sometimes across the back, and (in many cases) a sensation of either tightness in the chest (many describe it "like there's an elephant sitting on me"), extreme shortness of breath and impending doom. A heart attack, if severe and left unattended, can lead to cardiac arrest ...

Cardiac arrest is when the heart stops completely (sometimes without warning) and death is imminent UNLESS the heart is either revived or kickstarted back into action via defibrillation, electro-stimulation or (in very, very rare cases) CPR.

That being detailed, and knowing Bono's cleverness in alluding to things via the written word and/or in his song lyrics, I think everything he said in the liner notes of SONGS OF EXPERIENCE makes it clear to those who are keen on reading between the lines that he underwent some kind of cardiac episode and that doctors performed a lifesaving procedure to get him back on track.

This would also explain - and those of us who've had loved ones go through something similar will attest to this - Bono's leaner appearance as of recent days, especially in his face, which is much less puffy and more gaunt-looking (which is to his credit). When both a family member and a colleague of mine suffered a heart attack, doctors put them on medication which served to both help take some weight off their frames and reduce fluid retention in the tissues, which is important for anyone with a heart condition. Anyone who recalls when both Bill Clinton and David Lettermen underwent quadruple bypass to fix their own heart issues, the situation preceding their surgeries were particularly dire. Clinton required emergency surgery and Letterman himself told a story on-air after he recovered from his own that he went to the doctor for what was a routine checkup and was told, after emergency surgery to repair the damage, that he basically had 80 to 90 percent blockage of his coronary arteries and was at the doorstep of death. In terms of cardiac health, both Clinton and Letterman were former smokers and drinkers and had horrible diets. Yet when Clinton was discharged and Letterman returned the air, both men were noticeably leaner, especially in their faces.

Prior to Bono's "health scare" (and I don't think anyone will deny this) he was a well-known bon vivant (he smoked both cigarettes and cigars for years in the 90s, has always enjoyed drink - often to excess - and did not always have the best diet on occasion - as evidenced by his liking for pizza, McDonald's and, yes, In-and-Out burgers). This would likely explain why he seemed a bit puffier facially in the last 15 years or so and carried a bit more weight on him physically - i.e. those who know his propensity for holding the lapel of his jackets/shirts closed around his midsection will know he's always been self-conscious about his weight).

However, given how much better and healthier he looks (and the latest ROLLING STONE cover is the best visual proof of that), whatever ordeal he went through, not to mention surgery, suggests he has been put on meds to lose weight and/or told to change his habits and/or diet. All of that might also explain why he's been so reluctant to talk about it. After all, he's the lead singer of the world's most legendary and headlining rock band, and there's nothing more humbling or un-rock 'n roll than admitting you're a mere mortal with a cardiovascular condition. It's not so inconceivable a concept either, given how his own mum died of a stroke that such an issue could be hereditary.

In any case, I'm very glad he was able to get the medical attention necessary to address and/or fix whatever happened to him. I can only hope he's now living a healthier lifestyle and that it will keep him keen on crooning for a few more albums, at the very least.

Those are some serious medical chops you got there.

Offline BorneOfSound

• Stateless
  • Are you tough enough to be kind?
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2018, 08:04:43 PM »
If he’s changed his diet, putting a stop to drinking alcohol is definitely not part of the plan. Noel Gallagher was talking in an interview about drinking a lot with him during the summer tour. But he definitely does look noticeably older since whatever it was that happened.

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2018, 08:18:20 PM »
If he’s changed his diet, putting a stop to drinking alcohol is definitely not part of the plan. Noel Gallagher was talking in an interview about drinking a lot with him during the summer tour. But he definitely does look noticeably older since whatever it was that happened.

Maybe just a health scare that was potentially really serious but was found to be fine, but scared the crap out of him at the time!  At that age ageing is like that lol, you wake up one morning and look in the mirror and think oh crap that wasn't like that yesterday lol.  With or without a health scare Bono probably doesn't have the healthiest lifestyle.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 08:20:25 PM by summerholly »

Offline dukewmc

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2018, 12:25:46 PM »
This is a theory. I can't stress this enough.

This is pure speculation, but I do not think it was a health event, but rather an event where his life was in danger.
When he or Edge talk about it, they almost go out of their way to say it wasn't some kind of 'health scare,' but rather a 'brush with mortality.'
If it's a health scare, why not just say it was?
If it was a heart scare, why not just come out and be more forthright about it?
Bono is an activist, why would he not come clean about something that nearly killed him like cardiac arrest or something along those lines? Wouldn't it be easy for him to say: "Hey, it happened to me, go see a doctor and get checked out before it happens to you."

If it was an event where it was only him that was effected, I think he'd be a lot more open about it.

Which is why I think (again, PURE speculation) he was near or close to some kind of terrorist attack in Europe.
Perhaps one that happened in Germany or France.

They way he discusses how he reacted is less around "luck that he survived due to others that helped him medically," and more of "luck that he wasn't killed."
He has talked about being scared and being frightened, and how he won't say more about it; in a way, almost as though he has PTSD.

He talks openly about his bike accident and his back surgery; physical events that took their toll on him, but they affected him individually.

If he was in or around a terrorist attack, it's a completely different thing. A completely different scare.
What if he were sitting in some cafe in Nice or wherever when there was an attack that involved some lunatic using a car or truck to run people down in the streets?
And this is the crux of my theory here:
He may (pure speculation, can't stress that enough) have "survived" an attack, and if he were to talk about how he survived, he puts himself right in the middle of that particular news story.
Those stories aren't about him.
I can't imagine he would want his name associated in any way shape or form with any terrorist group.
Nothing good can come from him even mentioning being part of that.
If he did, he's helping to keep those terrorist groups in the news.

I'm not saying he was a target, but he could have been close enough to be part of some collateral damage.

They way they dance around the subject, intentionally, makes me think it was something other than a health scare.
And considering how Bono gets to travel and go on holiday seems to increase the odds that he could be exposed to that kind of danger.

I'm probably way off base here, and again, it's a theory, but it's worth mentioning.