Author Topic: Anybody know how Bono almost died?  (Read 9376 times)

Offline the_chief

• Headache in a Suitcase
Re: Anybody know how Bono almost died?
« Reply #75 on: February 09, 2018, 01:55:34 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The incident was not the Nice attack. The Nice attack was in Summer 2016. The incident happend in winter 2016, between Christmas and New Year.
Irish Hotpress Magazine had an article about U2 in the December issue, and the incident was also mentioned there.

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Didn't he also say in the Rolling Stone interview that he had pain and felt like suffocating? Everything he revealed since makes it sound like a heart issue, heart attack that leaded to a cardiac arrest. As it has been said before: not very Rock'n'Roll, this might be the reason why he doesn't tell what it was.

But how to keep something as major as a cardiac arrest or some other event where you end up in a major hospital in their ICU being resuscitated from ever going public.  Doesn't makes sense to me.

How does anyone keep these things private?

Offline Chrisss

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #76 on: February 09, 2018, 02:01:21 AM »
He said it was during the recordings of SOE. I think you are in a studio during recordings. If it was in Dublin there a so many private hospitals and clinics, and I guess they can keep something like that private. It was not like the bike accident when a woman saw the accident and called the ambulance.
If he was at home or in a recordings studio, it was not that public. I don't think it's a problem to keep that private, as long as there are no concerts to be cancelled.

I doubt it had anything to do with his heart. If he had experienced a cardiac arrest or a heart attack no doctor would allow him to go on tour so soon. I know people who had to take a few months off from boring office jobs after suffering a heart attack and this guy goes on tour? I just can't see it given the risks involved. Secondly, it would not be easy to obtain insurance for the tour given these kinds of health issues.

Everyone is different. I don't think it depends on what it was only but also on the constitution of the person. Bono is doing this "job" since 41 years, so it's not that exhausting to him being on tour and on stage as it would be to someone of us.
A friend of mine had cancer with an intense chemo. While some people would stop working for the entire period of the chemo treatment (it was six month chemo) she only stayed at home for three days after each chemo treatment that she got every three weeks, and then went back to work on the fourth day until the next treatment.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 02:11:13 AM by Chrisss »

Offline summerholly

• Stateless
« Reply #77 on: February 09, 2018, 02:47:42 AM »
He said it was during the recordings of SOE. I think you are in a studio during recordings. If it was in Dublin there a so many private hospitals and clinics, and I guess they can keep something like that private. It was not like the bike accident when a woman saw the accident and called the ambulance.
If he was at home or in a recordings studio, it was not that public. I don't think it's a problem to keep that private, as long as there are no concerts to be cancelled.

I doubt it had anything to do with his heart. If he had experienced a cardiac arrest or a heart attack no doctor would allow him to go on tour so soon. I know people who had to take a few months off from boring office jobs after suffering a heart attack and this guy goes on tour? I just can't see it given the risks involved. Secondly, it would not be easy to obtain insurance for the tour given these kinds of health issues.

Everyone is different. I don't think it depends on what it was only but also on the constitution of the person. Bono is doing this "job" since 41 years, so it's not that exhausting to him being on tour and on stage as it would be to someone of us.
A friend of mine had cancer with an intense chemo. While some people would stop working for the entire period of the chemo treatment (it was six month chemo) she only stayed at home for three days after each chemo treatment that she got every three weeks, and then went back to work on the fourth day until the next treatment.

Good luck keeping an actual cardiac arrest on a star like Bono secret, just too many people involved for something like that not to be leaked I reckon.  Cardiac arrest is a major emergency.  A heart attack not leading to a cardiac arrest would be easier to keep the lid on.  Anyway whatever it was I don't think it has stopped him enjoying a good drinking session lol.  Not exactly good if one has a dodgy ticker.

Offline Chrisss

« Reply #78 on: February 09, 2018, 03:01:43 AM »
Good luck keeping an actual cardiac arrest on a star like Bono secret, just too many people involved for something like that not to be leaked I reckon.  Cardiac arrest is a major emergency.  A heart attack not leading to a cardiac arrest would be easier to keep the lid on.  Anyway whatever it was I don't think it has stopped him enjoying a good drinking session lol.  Not exactly good if one has a dodgy ticker.

If a cardiac arrest doesn't happen in hospital when you're there anyway, where would the emergency intervention for a cardiac arrest happen? There where you are at this moment, at home, or in the ambulance car. If you have a cardiac arrest, there's not much time left to rush someone to the hospital. And there's just the medics in the ambulance car.
And with money, it's always easier to keep things private.
Well,  know as much/less than everyone else...but for me a heart attack isn't automatically "almost dying", but a cardiac arrest would be.

What I'm thinking of is the phrase "Bono is seriously ill". Could this be a heart attack?. Someone is seriously ill sounds to me more like an illness you're suffering from a certain period, such as cancer or a chronic disease, for example. I think a heart attack is a very sudden incident, most of the people don't know they can get this problem. Unless you already suffer from a cardiac disease before.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 03:20:53 AM by Chrisss »

Offline summerholly

• Stateless
« Reply #79 on: February 09, 2018, 05:51:58 AM »

If a cardiac arrest doesn't happen in hospital when you're there anyway, where would the emergency intervention for a cardiac arrest happen? There where you are at this moment, at home, or in the ambulance car. If you have a cardiac arrest, there's not much time left to rush someone to the hospital. And there's just the medics in the ambulance car.
And with money, it's always easier to keep things private.
Well,  know as much/less than everyone else...but for me a heart attack isn't automatically "almost dying", but a cardiac arrest would be.

What I'm thinking of is the phrase "Bono is seriously ill". Could this be a heart attack?. Someone is seriously ill sounds to me more like an illness you're suffering from a certain period, such as cancer or a chronic disease, for example. I think a heart attack is a very sudden incident, most of the people don't know they can get this problem. Unless you already suffer from a cardiac disease before.

My take on the whole thing is that he had to undergo tests for something that was potentially life threatening if diagnosed.  Waiting for the results for something like that can totally leave you fighting for breath out of sheer anxiety.  He said it was something that he had to go through on his own which is also true of something like that.  I think he is okay now? certainly doesn't appear to be seriously ill.  I think it was just a health scare, not uncommon at his age.

As to cadiac arrest it would be someone trying to keep the person alive until the ambos got there and then it would be a full scale emergency on arriving at the nearest hospital.  Difficult to keep the lid on I still reckon

Offline Chrisss

« Reply #80 on: February 09, 2018, 06:14:10 AM »
Having a health scare by waiting for a diagnosis only isn't threatening enough to have him saying "I shouldn't be here cause I should be dead", I think.
BTW: probably depending on how far you're away from the nearest hospital, they're doing the reanimation in the ambulance car as well. A friend told me that the husband of her hairdresser had a brain aneurysma on Jan 1, he was able to enter the ambulance car but had a cardiac arrest once he was in the ambulance. They live on the countryside, and so they tried to reanimate him straight there in the ambulance. (Unfortunately he died anyway)

This is from the second article in that Hotpress issue:

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Well, we won't find it out. If he wants to tell, ok, and if not, I just hope he's taking good care of himself.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 06:28:52 AM by Chrisss »

Offline summerholly

• Stateless
« Reply #81 on: February 09, 2018, 06:30:26 AM »
Having a health scare by waiting for a diagnosis only isn't threatening enough to have him saying "I shouldn't be here cause I should be dead", I think.

This is from the second article in that Hotpress issue:

Well, we won't find it out. If he wants to tell, ok, and if not, I just hope he's taking good care of himself.

Yep just speculation really.  Depends on the health scare, a friend had what turned out to be a melanoma only after he insisted it was removed and tested even after the doctor told him it was nothing to worry about.  That was a humdinger of a health scare.   So really it could be anything.

Offline Billy Rhythm

• Babyface
« Reply #82 on: February 09, 2018, 07:58:11 AM »
As with anyone's personal health information other than our own...  It's really none of our business unless you are much closer to the situation...  Knowing the details wouldn't change how I view the new album lyrically whatsoever...:-)

Offline Chrisss

« Reply #83 on: February 09, 2018, 08:39:34 AM »
As with anyone's personal health information other than our own...  It's really none of our business unless you are much closer to the situation...  Knowing the details wouldn't change how I view the new album lyrically whatsoever...:-)

If one doesn't want others to talk about something, one shouldn't mention anything at all.  :P

Offline Blueyedboy

• Running to Stand Still
  • Embrace the challenge
« Reply #84 on: February 25, 2018, 08:25:51 PM »
My own ill informed assumption is that the bike accident and the cardiac arrest were one and the same event. Could it be possible that Bono had his arresting experience whilst riding his bike, causing him to have his spill that damaged his shoulder?
The original idea of putting SOE out there hot on the heels of SOI may well of been underway, meaning the timelines would make sense.

Offline STominovich

• Babyface
« Reply #85 on: March 11, 2018, 04:24:15 AM »
From the lyrics, his comments and his gaunt appearance I think its a pretty sure bet he had an issue with his heart.  My father had bypass surgery years ago and it had a similar effect on how he looked physically. To those who say it is private information - meh - he brought it up.

Offline This Dave

• Numb
« Reply #86 on: March 17, 2018, 08:16:08 PM »
From the lyrics, his comments and his gaunt appearance I think its a pretty sure bet he had an issue with his heart.  My father had bypass surgery years ago and it had a similar effect on how he looked physically. To those who say it is private information - meh - he brought it up.

He literally sent a song about it out for the entire world to hear. Its not private.
Unless Bono wants to be THAT friend we all have on Facebook. You know,  the one who posts OH MY GOD I CANT BELIEVE IT!, and when you ask them what happened, they say I dont want to talk about it.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 08:33:06 PM by This Dave »