Author Topic: What can we learn from SoE promo tour?  (Read 564 times)

Offline EdgeUK8_my_mind

• Desert Rose
  • I need you to elevate me here
What can we learn from SoE promo tour?
« on: December 29, 2017, 10:40:29 PM »
I have been thinking about the upcoming SoE set list, and wondering whether the songs they played on the BBC and in other promo spots might stay the set list.  To try to address this, I looked at past promo tours from 2000 on at the U2 Gigs site You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login as an indication of whether the songs they played in the promo tour ultimately stayed in the set most nights.

For all of these promo tours, they played 4-6 songs from the new album (at that time), and all of those songs except two (Volcano and California) became regular fixtures in the tour.  For each tour, they also added 1-3 other songs in regular rotation, and 1-2 others on occasion.  To me this implies that these are probably the ones we can expect most nights, with maybe 1-3 others.  Volcano and California being dropped suggest that if a song isn't working live, they could cut it (perhaps 13 will go - I hope not).  [details on each below]

I think we can count on the Blackout and The Little Things That Give You Away being in there, at least most nights.  Perhaps some others will get the occasional play, much like The Troubles and the SoI bonus disc songs.  I am not holding out much hope for the rest, but we will see.

Are there any others you feel are "must play" songs?  Is this approach too analytical?  I know that everyone has their favorite, but I can't see them playing all of those.

Details: (numbers in parentheses are U2 Gigs' record of how many times each was played in the promo tour):
ATYCLB promo tour
•  Beautiful Day (20 times)
•  Elevation (15 times)
•  Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out Of (11 times)
•  New York (8 times)
Plus Kite and Walk on most nights, Peace on Earth ½ the time and 2 others a few times

HTDAAB promo tour
•  Vertigo (9 times)
•  All Because Of You (5 times)
•  Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own (5 times)
•  City of Blinding Lights (3 times)
•  Miracle Drug (3 times)
•  Original Of The Species (2 times)
Plus Love and Peace or Else most nights, Yahweh Ύ of the time
Rarely: Crumbs From Your Table and Fast Cars

NLOTH promo tour
•  Get on Your Boots (15 times)
•  Magnificent (8 times)
•  Breathe (6 times)
•  I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight (3 times)
•  No Line On The Horizon (3 times)
Plus Moment Of Surrender most nights and Unknown Caller at 30% of the shows

SoI promo tour
•  The Miracle (of Joey Ramone) (10 times)
•  Every Breaking Wave (9 times)
•  Song For Someone (5 times)
•  California (There Is No End To Love) (3 times)
•  Cedarwood Road (2 times)
•  Volcano (1 time)
Plus Invisible, Iris (Hold Me Close) and Raised By Wolves every night
Rarely: Lucifer's Hands, The Crystal Ballroom, The Troubles

SoE promo tour
•  Get Out Of Your Own Way (10 times)
•  You're The Best Thing About Me (5 times)
•  American Soul (2 times)
•  13 (There Is A Light) (1 time)
•  Lights Of Home (1 time)
•  Love Is Bigger Than Anything in its Way (1 time)
(plus The Little Things That Give You Away the TJT30 tour and The Blackout in the Amsterdam video shoot)

Offline kseguin

• Wanderer
  • Montreal, Newark, Dublin
Re: What can we learn from SoE promo tour?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 12:25:14 PM »
I disagree.  On the SOI tour, they always played 6 songs for SOI and sometimes 7.

I can see 5 to 6 of SOE being played every night.

I would bet on most of the following:

Lights of Home
You're the Best Thing about me
American Soul
Summer of Love
Red Flag Day
Blackout

Offline Mr Peabody

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Re: What can we learn from SoE promo tour?
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 05:30:16 PM »
I think ‘Love is Bigger than Anything in it’s Way’ will be prominent. In a recent interview, Bono remarked that it had received positive feedback from radio people and it featured as the final song at Abbey Road. I’m hoping they tweak things and play more than the typical 6-7 songs off this one during the next tour. Happy to hear it all as they look rejuvenated. I loved the Joshua Tree 30 year concerts and now I am looking forward to a very different run of shows featuring the new music and the accompanying innovations.