Author Topic: New U2 on Spotify  (Read 1352 times)

Offline Blueyedboy

• Running to Stand Still
  • Embrace the challenge
New U2 on Spotify
« on: December 30, 2017, 03:16:28 AM »
The Switch remix of GOOYOW is on Spotify as of today.

Not a bad mix at all, but a million miles away from the album version!

Offline Clarky

• Numb
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
Re: New U2 on Spotify
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 04:47:23 PM »
barf

Offline JoshuaTree94

• Deep In the Heart
  • You bury your treasure where it can't be found
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 01:59:25 PM »
My roommate nearly evicted me after I played him this remix.

I'm only somewhat kidding.

Offline DrDoom171

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 02:16:43 PM »
Wow!  That was bad.  Easily one of (if not the) worst U2 songs/remixes I've ever heard.  Is there actually a "market demand" for remixed songs like this?  Is this what gets played in clubs now?  Is this what the kids like?  If the answer to those questions is no, then why do this?  I'm sure some people like this, but I can't imagine too many U2 fans liking this and I can't imagine this type of remix is going to create many new u2 fans.

Offline blovesu2

• Wanderer
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 02:58:17 PM »
AWFUL. AWFUL. AWFUL

Offline NintendoFan204

• Babyface
  • Don't mind me... just some cool guy.
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2018, 02:42:57 PM »
I heard it when it first came out. Completely horrible remix. Contains almost nothing of the original song. I usually don't care for remixes, but this is a new low.  One of the worst remixes I have ever heard.

Who the hell is Switch, anyway? I couldn't find an artist page for them on Spotify.

Offline BorneOfSound

• Stateless
  • Are you tough enough to be kind?
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2018, 02:42:14 PM »
I like that they're embracing what many artists on Spotify do...releasing singles, remixes or Spotify sessions packages.

The beats are great. It reminds me of Daft Punk or Disclosure and you barely notice U2 is even a part of it but it's worthwhile. I've always been a fan of their entry into club culture. It doesn't always work out and this one doesn't rank up with the I'll Go Crazy Kicking Darkness remix or Real Thing remixes but I wish more bands would embrace this kind of thing.

Offline Manos73

• Numb
  • Stop trying to change the world, I like it.
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2018, 03:23:11 PM »
SOE and singles/remixes has made me put my U2 fandom into question. This remix is exactly what's wrong with this band.

Offline NintendoFan204

• Babyface
  • Don't mind me... just some cool guy.
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2018, 08:56:05 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
SOE and singles/remixes has made me put my U2 fandom into question. This remix is exactly what's wrong with this band.
But the band didn't make the remix.

I personally don't mind that the remix exists. I just think it's bad.

Offline BorneOfSound

• Stateless
New U2 on Spotify
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2018, 07:45:52 AM »

But they have been doing remixes since War and did way more in the 90s for AB, Zooropa and Pop than they do now (single releases with 5-6 remixes of same song - see Real Thing, Mysterious, Lemon, Discotheque, etc.). They’ve always had an electronica appreciation ... they still talk about Kraftwerk as an influence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 07:47:26 AM by BorneOfSound »

Offline Manos73

• Numb
  • Stop trying to change the world, I like it.
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2018, 01:38:04 PM »

But they have been doing remixes since War and did way more in the 90s for AB, Zooropa and Pop than they do now (single releases with 5-6 remixes of same song - see Real Thing, Mysterious, Lemon, Discotheque, etc.). They’ve always had an electronica appreciation ... they still talk about Kraftwerk as an influence.

Agreed. And all those remixes were better than this. Probably because the underlining songs were better.

Offline BorneOfSound

• Stateless
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2018, 03:49:08 PM »

Agreed. And all those remixes were better than this. Probably because the underlining songs were better.

Agree on the remixes but think the song is strong. I’m gonna guess there’s a longer version or other Switch takes of it in the future...

Offline Hwy 190

• Wanderer
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2018, 11:35:07 PM »
Hard to believe the band (all four of them + management + producers + engineers + etc.) gave the thumbs-up to this remix and it's official release on Spotify.

I was a teen when I purchased the Francois Kevorkian 12" remixes for both Two Hearts and New Year's Day ...those should be the benchmark standard for the band's remixes.  This "Switch Remix" really bastardizes a great song.

Just me, or did I get old?

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • St Louis,Omaha,Montreal 1&2, NJ, NYC 3,Belfast 1,2
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2018, 07:45:16 AM »
Hard to believe the band (all four of them + management + producers + engineers + etc.) gave the thumbs-up to this remix and it's official release on Spotify.

I was a teen when I purchased the Francois Kevorkian 12" remixes for both Two Hearts and New Year's Day ...those should be the benchmark standard for the band's remixes.  This "Switch Remix" really bastardizes a great song.

Just me, or did I get old?

You're old. But the remixes deserve some artistic licence because they are interpretation to begin with. So naturally some are going to fall flat on their face.