Author Topic: Most obscure U2 songs/albums/shows you have?  (Read 461 times)

Offline Swedescott

• Babyface
Most obscure U2 songs/albums/shows you have?
« on: January 04, 2018, 07:29:13 PM »
I have been pursuing a fun hobby in my spare time of trying to add as many "official" and bootleg tracks to my U2 collection.  I am confident I do not come close to the serious collectors here, but I'm up to around 1,800 tracks. 

What obscure or under-the-radar tracks are you proud of?  I'm thinking of things like the Axtung Beibi recordings, U2's pre-Achtung Baby electronica track on the Cole Porter tribute CD, etc.

Offline laoghaire

• Numb
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
Re: Most obscure U2 songs/albums/shows you have?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2018, 09:17:46 PM »
Night and Day on Red Hot + Blue? I have that one, and there are a lot of other good tracks on there, including You Do Something to Me with Sinead O'Connor.

I don't have nearly what you do, but my iTunes count is around 300. My favorite by far is hardly obsure to fans - the Zoo Radio broadcast from Dublin in August 1993. I remember the very day. I had a fresh new blank cassette tape all ready to go, and thankfully my local station came in very clearly. I hit "record" and lay on the floor in front of the speakers trying to mentally reach through them to be there in Dublin. When the first side ran out I flipped the tape so fast I only lost about three seconds of recording. I was 16 years old. I love that performance so much that if I had to pick a favorite "album" that would be it. A few months ago I ripped the digital recording off the Internet and sliced up the tracks so I have it on my iPod. There are some fan videos on YouTube which is interesting to see what the performance looked like after just imagining in my head for so long. But the only good quality one I've found is Stay - but that is a gem.

A high school friend gave me a cassette copy of some bootleg performance in Chicago, I forgot the year. It wasn't that great - sound quality only ok, but worse, Bono not in top singing form, but I studied it anyway. That was before Achtung Baby and was my first bootleg.

Around 2000, I bid on a bootleg CD on eBay - actually it was the Zoo Radio broadcast, my tape had died. It got bid up to $100 and I felt like I got a deal when I won, lol. Things were different. Anyway, that seller hooked me up with a few more CDs. I think he felt guilty taking $100 from me for a copy of a CD but it was worth it. I got the full Rattle and Hum which I wanted for years, including tracks like Bad, With or Without You, Exit, Running to Stand Still, and Streets which I saw in the film but didn't have audio recordinga for.

There was also one from PopMart, Rotterdam show. Bono's voice isn't there for nearly the first half of the show, and right in the middle of Still Haven't Found it clicks and the rest of the show is quite satisfying. Not like Zoo Radio, though.

There's one or two other bootlegs. I have them with Frank Sinatra singing another Cole Porter, I Have Got You Under My Skin, love that one. Instant Karma, only ok. (Green Day and Christina Aguilira take the prize on the John Lennon tribute album imho). Hold Me Kiss Me, which I literally have not heard since the 90s.

It's Christmas, Baby Please Come Home is not the highest quality song but the singing is sexy.

I probably have A Celebration somewhere.

Offline 73October

• Staring at the Sun
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2018, 03:52:12 PM »
U2 at Greenbelt Festival 1981 (UK) on bootleg.

I have many friends from Greenbelt, and U2's mainstage performance is legendary as is Bono's return to the festival - in disguise - during the height of the original JT Tour in 1987.  I first went to Greenbelt in 1992, so missed this.  Though I was present for Willie Williams (who had ran a sideline working at Greenbelt back in 1993) on the mainstage, phoning Bono a la MacPhisto just at the end of the ZOO TV tour.  Bono was at home and he really wasn't expecting it. Willie said he was at Greenbelt and we all shouted and cheered as loud as we could to prove Willie right. 

I was back there in 2008 and missed Ed Sheeran's appearance in the acoustic tent because I was at something else on site at the time, but by all accounts I didn't miss that much.  No-one ever talks of Ed's appearance so fondly as U2's (regardless if you were there in 1981 or not).  Apparently  the performance was barnstorming (it sounds like it) and it just took people to another place.  One of my favourite parts of the recording is when the compere asks if the crowd want more.  The majority clearly did, apart from a small crowd near to the cassette player than clearly didn't want any more U2.  They just wanted Cliff [Richard]!

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 07:40:39 AM »
I hadn’t looked at my U2 vinyl collection in a while. I pulled it out of a storage box, started flicking through it, and came across U2 3. I have no idea where I bought it, and I don’t think I would have understood what it was when I purchased it anyway.

Offline SwimmingSorrows

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Some folks are bound for glory, I was Born to Hang
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2018, 01:36:44 AM »
My dad has some early 80s live bootlegs he bought in Denmark.