Author Topic: A little over a month into SOE, does it still have momentum for you?  (Read 1816 times)

Online hollywoodswag

• Stateless
Re: A little over a month into SOE, does it still have momentum for you?
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2018, 06:51:57 AM »
I haven't played it the whole way through in a couple of weeks. It's not high on my list of albums to play right now. A few songs show up here and there when I shuffle, of course, but I've been focused on full albums from bands and artists a lot lately and SOE hasn't been on my list.

Offline 73October

• Staring at the Sun
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2018, 02:46:52 PM »
Listened to it again today in full.  Still very strong.  Almost burnt my dinner!

Offline Albono

• Child of Grace
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2018, 02:42:48 AM »
This is the first album, since POP, that I enjoyed Bono's singing.

Offline suitoflights

• Desert Rose
  • You gotta hold on baby to my special feature
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2018, 12:44:49 PM »
Iagree, Bono is on top form on this album and the rhythmsection is on fire, particularly Adam!

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2018, 05:17:18 AM »
Edge has struggled for several albums in a row now. Not shooting the lights out...

Offline Chip

• Numb
  • "Hey, I've been waiting to get home a long time"
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2018, 09:47:30 PM »
It goes in fits and starts for me. I'll put it down for a few weeks, then listen to it a lot for a while. On the whole, it's still not a classic U2 album to me, but it is growing on me.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 09:52:34 PM by Chip »

Offline BalconyTV

• Numb
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2018, 07:59:53 AM »
I think the album has somethings going for it. A good second half namely. But it lacks some authenticity or something. Its not bad by any means. Just not their finest. I might go as far as putting it in their bottom 3.

Offline suitoflights

• Desert Rose
  • You gotta hold on baby to my special feature
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2018, 08:32:40 AM »
^I agree with this.

Offline emuhunter

• Refugee
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2018, 09:09:50 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I think the album has somethings going for it. A good second half namely. But it lacks some authenticity or something. Its not bad by any means. Just not their finest. I might go as far as putting it in their bottom 3.

Although I wouldn't agree that it goes in the bottom 3 I completely agree with you about how strong the second half is. I feel like a lot of U2 albums (even Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby in their own ways) can be a bit front-loaded but this record is a lot more evenly spread out, albeit at the cost of a really strong opening which is something U2 has usually been good for.

I don't envy these guys, it seems like whatever they do they end up getting questioned/critiqued over it (I'm certainly including myself as one of those that critiques by the way).

Offline CLarryG

• Babyface
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2018, 05:47:42 PM »
Unfortunately... no.  Tried so hard to get into it, just doesn't work for.  I miss the Eno, Lanois touch.  If this is who they want to be or what they want to play, this is what they should do.  I will always be a fan, but will be listening to the earlier material.

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2018, 11:26:58 AM »
I'm not listening to the full album, but I'm humming the songs to myself daily and listening to at least part of the album a few times a week. I keep on going in with the intention of listening to a single song, but then I want to listen to the next, and the next...

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2018, 04:46:53 PM »

I don't envy these guys, it seems like whatever they do they end up getting questioned/critiqued over it (I'm certainly including myself as one of those that critiques by the way).

But isn't it like that for a lot of jobs, certainly mine is if you want new contracts and funding? If you want people to part with money  you have to deal with critique and questions.  Theirs is just on a bigger scale and more public than most but they have still made a fortune.    Haha just the fact that people bother , good or bad, means that they have made a major impact with their music.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 04:58:03 PM by summerholly »

Offline radiofreenewport

• Babyface
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2018, 07:21:37 PM »
Unfortunately... no.  Tried so hard to get into it, just doesn't work for.  I miss the Eno, Lanois touch.  If this is who they want to be or what they want to play, this is what they should do.  I will always be a fan, but will be listening to the earlier material.

Me, too. I had a few weeks off from work when the record came out and had plenty of time to listen and try to get into it. I resorted to a shortened 10-song, 40-minute version that I liked better, but still didn't love. Then the holidays came, and I haven't been inspired to listen since. I don't hate it, but there is plenty of other stuff I'd rather listen to.