Author Topic: A little over a month into SOE, does it still have momentum for you?  (Read 1724 times)

Offline gottago

• Wanderer
Curious if folks are still listening as much as you were when it first released.

Offline Vox

• Running to Stand Still
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
Re: A little over a month into SOE, does it still have momentum for you?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 10:35:06 AM »
Good post.  I found myself contemplating the same thing this week.  It’s still far too early for me to try to figure out where this album belongs in what I call my U2antheon.  But, here’s where I’m at today…

It’s having an odd gestation for me, personally, but I think it’s going in the right direction.  I listened to the album incessantly for the first week and really dug it.  Then, after about a week I found I didn’t go back to it as much as I would have thought.   But as time has progressed, I started to listen again and found myself drawn by different things, depending on the day.  Now I think it’s going to have some staying power for me. 

I like every song, or at least parts of every song.  Initially, I didn’t care for “Landlady” and “13.”  However, I started to click with those songs, or most of the parts of those songs, before Christmas.   For instance, the “I go where I do not dare” part in “Landlady” still bothers me, in a lot of respects.  But the last minute of that song is great.  And unlike many U2 fans, I’d never been particularly enamored with “The Little Things That Give You Away.”   But then that song magically opened up for me a couple weeks ago, and today I feel that it might be one of the stronger songs on here.

I also had an initial disconnect with “The Best Thing,” and “Get Out of Your Own Way,” “American Soul,” and “Blackout,” because I’d been listening to those so much throughout the fall they seemed to be on a separate album entirely.  After December 1, I’d skip over those to get to the songs I hadn’t heard before.  But when I got my mind around the fact that they’re part of the album and I went back to them, I started to realize that this is a very strong record, indeed. 

The album, overall, has a unifying “sound” that wasn’t on Songs of Innocence, which I also appreciate.  I thought that Songs of Innocence was one of their weakest albums (but I’ve never met a U2 album that I didn’t like).  And unlike many on this forum, I found No Line on the Horizon to be a top 4-5 U2 album.  I don’t anticipate this album reaching that level, but I can’t rule it out, either.  It very well may end up in the upper-middle slots of my U2antheon. 

I've had some coffee and I'm a bit wordy today...  But to answer the question -- I'm not listening to it as much as I did when it was released, but I'm enjoying it more.

Offline lightmyway92

• Wanderer
  • On Borderland We Run
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 11:20:14 AM »
I have actually made a deliberate attempt to listen to it less than when it was first released, just so I wouldn't get bored with it.  That's been tough to do since I like it enough to listen to it almost every other day.  Yeah, it's safe to say that it does have momentum for me, and I'm guessing that momentum will just increase when the tour begins.  I get the feeling that this tour will be their best in a while.  They seem re-inspired and re-energized.  i love how well Bono is singing now.

Having said that, I have to admit that not every song on SOE resonates with me.  I struggle to get into "The Blackout," although it's very catchy.  I usually skip "American Soul," but I do admit it has a certain energy to it.  "Love is bigger.." hasn't really grabbed me yet, but I don't dislike it.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 11:22:25 AM by lightmyway92 »

Offline davis

• Stateless
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 12:19:01 PM »
I listen to it at least once daily.  Still love it just as much.  My favorite U2 in forever. 

Offline NintendoFan204

• Babyface
  • Don't mind me... just some cool guy.
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 01:30:23 PM »
I've been listening to it less often, but I have grown to like my initial least favorite songs a lot more than I used to. Landlady has become of one of my favorite songs, and I didn't care for it at first.

It's still difficult to say what I think of SOE compared to their other albums... it still feels too new. Songs of Innocence was the same way for awhile, but that sheen eventually wore off and I am able to rank it now (it is my sixth or seventh favorite U2 album). I feel like SOE will eventually end up somewhere in the middle (5-8).

The tour will surely help the songs feel settled into U2's catalogue.

Offline Manos73

• Numb
  • Stop trying to change the world, I like it.
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2018, 03:19:17 PM »
I haven't listened to it in a month. SOE managed to not be bad, just boring.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2018, 09:52:03 PM »
Not listened to it for weeks. There too many songs I just skip now that I used to like. American soul is a good example.

Offline popsadie

• Stateless
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2018, 12:12:14 AM »
It does for me. Although I could do without American Soul and am meh about Get Out of Your Own Way and The Showman, all the others still do it for me. I listened to it again for the first time in about a week and I am still connecting to it. I especially love 'Lights of Home, Red Flag Day, Summer of Love, Little Things and the final two tracks. U2 lyrically are making songs that speak to where I'm at as I approach middle age, and I enjoy the melodies as well. I rate this album overall as a B+ and there are several A tracks on it in my mind.

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2018, 05:43:47 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
U2 lyrically are making songs that speak to where I'm at as I approach middle age, and I enjoy the melodies

Interesting take!  I am the same age as Bono and I seriously try and avoid thinking about my mortality when listening to music, too depressing and close to home lol.  The album is not a bad album but I find it a little boring with not enough The Edge sound to be honest.  It doesn't resonate with me, or my life at the moment, so I tend not to go out of my way to listen to it.

Offline popsadie

• Stateless
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2018, 06:13:40 AM »
I suppose another aspect is its take on faith and mortality. I connected to the first two tracks nearly immediately, and I also really loved Little Things for the same reason. I'm going through a season of hanging on to my Christian beliefs and this album connects to that for me.

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2018, 08:29:29 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I suppose another aspect is its take on faith and mortality. I connected to the first two tracks nearly immediately, and I also really loved Little Things for the same reason. I'm going through a season of hanging on to my Christian beliefs and this album connects to that for me.

Yes I have a couple of good friends who very much connect to the faith and mortality concept as it is a central part of their lives.  I don't share those beliefs so I guess it doesn't resonate as strongly for me.

Offline morph

• Refugee
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2018, 01:50:53 PM »
I've done a playlist with my fave songs on it and I listen to that most work days on my commute!

1. Lights of Home
2. Get out of your own way
3. Red Flag Day
4. Best Thing
5. Summer of Love
6. The Showman
7. Blackout
8. Book of your Heart

Offline Clarky

• Numb
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2018, 05:44:56 PM »
Half the album I skip so I listen to it less. I'm still giving it a spin about once or twice every 2 days though.

Offline zoo adam

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2018, 06:20:12 PM »
The album is perfectly pleasant & listenable. No 'Boots' or 'Yawah's' that have to be skipped. I like the proclaimed dreaded 3 - 'Best Thing', 'GOOYOW' & 'American Soul' & can listen to the whole album.

Some of the songs will sound good live & it's doubtful SOE will lose U2 any fans.

However 'pleasant' & 'listenable' is not why I became a U2 fan. I want some magic. Even 'October' & 'NLOTH' have songs I return to. That isn't really the case with SOE. Although as mentioned I could happily play the whole album while doing something else.

On the plus side it was a much shorter wait for SOE. I suspect it was finished in 2016 & delayed for TJT tour. They haven't been that quick since the early 90's.

Offline Argo

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2018, 06:26:38 AM »
Definitely not listening to it as much. Might put a few songs on when go to get lunch and that type of thing. Still pretty happy with much of the album but if I tried listening to it everyday still, I would come to dislike it. Feels a fresh sound to me as much of it is a bit different for U2, so definitely don't want to overdo it.