Author Topic: The Showman  (Read 960 times)

Offline Bundang Dave

• Running to Stand Still
  • It's not what I want; it's what I need.
The Showman
« on: January 08, 2018, 09:51:11 AM »
Lyrically, this track reminds of the Desire, Hold Me Thrill Me, Holy Joe, Mofo, Discotheque, etc. . . something Macphisto would perform.

But musically, I find it so dull. I hope they really liven it up if they perform it on tour.

Offline Hwy 190

• Wanderer
Re: The Showman
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 11:53:37 PM »
I hope they play it live ...so I can grab a beer at the concession stand and not miss much.

In all seriousness I love this album, but can't understand why this song made the final cut.  I've tried and tried, given it plenty of water (multiple listens), but it just won't grow on me.  It's not cohesive with the rest of the album.  Why isn't Book of Your Heart nestled in its place?

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • St Louis,Omaha,Montreal 1&2, NYC 3, Belfast 1,2
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 07:58:47 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Lyrically, this track reminds of the Desire, Hold Me Thrill Me, Holy Joe, Mofo, Discotheque, etc. . . something Macphisto would perform.

But musically, I find it so dull. I hope they really liven it up if they perform it on tour.

I think its something about the recording that is off. I listened to it the other an thought it would be great to hear that being played in a basement right beside the band. But the recording sounds like it didn't capture the track. Lights of Home also has some moments where there is too much space.

Offline jwstender

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018, 06:44:09 PM »
On a few U2 albums there's one blunder and the Showman is the one for Experience. I want to like it, like I wanted to like "Crazy" on No Line on the Horizon but I just can't get behind it.

Offline Rasmus

• Refugee
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2018, 04:42:13 AM »
It's not like a "big" U2 song but I do find it charming and it comes at the right time of the album between some very dark songs. I think its a good addition to the record.

Offline lucas.homem

• Numb
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2018, 07:57:03 PM »
I quite like this song. Very neat and tight, full of humor and playfulness.

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2018, 09:12:47 PM »
I don't mind it either

Offline pan360

• Babyface
  • The universe is beautiful but cold
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2018, 04:00:42 AM »
On a few U2 albums there's one blunder and the Showman is the one for Experience. I want to like it, like I wanted to like "Crazy" on No Line on the Horizon but I just can't get behind it.

It helped me to like "Crazy" the cd single with the remixes. On No Line I was struggling to like Stand Up Comedy but it never worked and there were no remixes in that case. I voted Showman as the worst song on the album but I still like it. I don't think that they will play it live. It will be like "Man and a Woman" from HTDAB, which they never played live.

Offline robbover

• Babyface
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2018, 08:28:28 AM »
I quite like this song. Very neat and tight, full of humor and playfulness.

This.

Offline Hustoninut

• Babyface
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2018, 03:21:21 PM »
Lyrically there are some very good one liners in The Showman.  I would think that out of any other songs on SOE this is the one that was designed to feel a bit "do I like it or not?"  I've been critical of U2 somewhat "selling out" a bit lately, trying to come out with songs that may get radio play or just have a catchy little tune that sticks in your head for a while but has no real substance. (You're the Best Thing About Me.  Volcano)  The Showman basically admits that is true, which may be why I actually do like it more than I don't. 

Offline legitmail

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2018, 01:27:20 PM »
This kind of reminds me of Sweetest Thing with its jolly and feel goodness. I don't mind it at all.

Offline trainfanjacob8

• Babyface
  • Worst things in the world are justified by belief
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2018, 07:19:22 AM »
It's a decent U2 song.  It reminds me of Wild Honey.