Author Topic: Whats with all the hate of Get Out of Your Own Way?  (Read 718 times)

Offline iced

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • You don't see me but you will..I am not invisible.
Whats with all the hate of Get Out of Your Own Way?
« on: January 10, 2018, 04:10:55 AM »
What's up with all the hate of "Get Out Of Your Own Way"?

I think it's one of strongest cuts from the album.

...seems weird to me.

???

Personally, I like it.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 04:17:12 AM by iced »

Offline Montreal97

• Babyface
  • Baby a dangerous idea...
Re: Whats with all the hate of Get Out of Your Own Way?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 05:29:35 AM »
Didn't know it generated any hate. I really really love that song.

Offline lightmyway92

• Wanderer
  • On Borderland We Run
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 05:56:24 AM »
It's probably has too much unapologetic optimism for the "get off my lawn" types.  Maybe they think it's too derivative of "Beautiful Day. My only complaint about it is that's maybe a little too catchy and very tough to get out of your head once you've listened to it :)  Otherwise I like it a lot.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 05:59:18 AM by lightmyway92 »

Offline Bundang Dave

• Running to Stand Still
  • It's not what I want; it's what I need.
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 07:54:29 AM »
I don't find it particularly interesting or affective, so I always skip it.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • Nashville, Montreal 1 & 2
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 11:34:36 AM »
Great tune!

Offline GoalisSoul40

• Babyface
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 03:06:46 PM »
An excellent track. Punchy, defiantly joyful. First verse written with, perhaps, Bono's daughter in mind. Second verse written with America/democracy in mind. I find it to be catchy in the best sense of that word. I, too, have been surprised by how easily and quickly many other posters have dismissed it. It's at the heart of the album and belongs there. Maybe it will grow on folks...

Offline ShankAsu

• Child of Grace
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 03:28:25 PM »
i didn't really like it at first and found the chorus to almost irritate my ears, but now, like a lot of the songs on the new album, it has really grown on me.  still not one of my favorites on the album, but i like it.

Offline BalconyTV

• Numb
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 05:15:56 PM »
It sits between two awful tracks. You go into with with a bad taste. And you leave it with a bad taste. The tune alone is ok. But nothing too special.

Offline miracle_al

• Wanderer
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 07:28:19 PM »
It is a decent song, bordering on a pretty good song.  What sets it back for me are the vocalizations after Bono/Edge sing, "Get out of your own way."  I cringe overtime I hear them.  They are the embodiment of "artsy" U2, which I don't much care for.  Those vocalizations are up (down?) there in 'Boots' territory for me.

Offline Clarky

• Numb
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2018, 08:44:41 PM »
I dont particularly like the pre-chorus part and then "your fight, your fight" dropout part. It feels generic and uninteresting. But overall its an okay song, just not that good imo.

Offline Droppo

• Babyface
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2018, 08:22:55 AM »
The Kendrick Lamar bit at the end is intolerable for me. The rest of it is paint by numbers U2 with a bland chorus and sanctimonious lyrics.

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2018, 08:35:38 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
i didn't really like it at first and found the chorus to almost irritate my ears, but now, like a lot of the songs on the new album, it has really grown on me.  still not one of my favorites on the album, but i like it.

I was a bit like this - didn't really get it at first but has really grown on me

Offline Billy Rhythm

• Babyface
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2018, 11:10:27 AM »

I was a bit like this - didn't really get it at first but has really grown on me
Echo these sentiments...  It's a bit too much the same formula as 'Beautiful Day' though, but I'm liking it...  It's by no means a bad parody of themselves...:-)

Offline MoreMoon

• Babyface
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2018, 04:02:45 PM »
For me, it feels so generic. I don't hate it because it doesn't garner enough of an emotional reaction in me to really feel anything. If "meh" was going to take song form, for me it would be "Get Out of Your Own Way."

And I feel like a lot of late-period U2 falls into this trap - songs that feel overthought and overworked to the point that they almost don't sounds like anything at all.

Offline Sonofabono

• Babyface
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2018, 05:04:06 AM »
For me, it feels so generic. I don't hate it because it doesn't garner enough of an emotional reaction in me to really feel anything. If "meh" was going to take song form, for me it would be "Get Out of Your Own Way."

And I feel like a lot of late-period U2 falls into this trap - songs that feel overthought and overworked to the point that they almost don't sounds like anything at all.

Echo these sentiments...  It's a bit too much the same formula as 'Beautiful Day' though, but I'm liking it...  It's by no means a bad parody of themselves...:-)

Yeah, definitely agree with a lot of this, though I don't know that I've felt as strongly about it. On repeat listens I've really loved it. As part of the album, I've really loved it. When all we had were GOOYOW and YTBTAM as singles, there was definitely some disappointment for me, just because they felt so predictable. Definitely different from what we've heard before (sort of- there's definitely Beautiful Day in there), but predictable. This is what U2 would sound like trying to put out radio hits. That initial disappointment has tainted those songs for me, even though I'm coming around to liking them more. There's definitely an unabashed poppiness to it that some people just aren't going to be able to get over.

One thing that struck me about GOOYOW is that the chord progression is the exact same as S4S. (Same is true for YTBTAM - the chorus progression and the progression for S4S are the same.) That really hurt it for me initially (especially since it came after YTBTAM which made the same "mistake"). You want them to come out swinging doing something different and it didn't strike me as different enough, and the similarities to S4S wasn't different enough for me.

Again. I really do like it now. But initially, those were my feelings.