Author Topic: Whats with all the hate of Get Out of Your Own Way?  (Read 717 times)

Offline Vox

• Running to Stand Still
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
Re: Whats with all the hate of Get Out of Your Own Way?
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2018, 10:14:15 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
i didn't really like it at first and found the chorus to almost irritate my ears, but now, like a lot of the songs on the new album, it has really grown on me.  still not one of my favorites on the album, but i like it.

I was a bit like this - didn't really get it at first but has really grown on me

This is me, as well.  Same goes for “You’re the Best Thing About Me.” 

I listened to those songs a lot pre-album release.  Then after December 1, I’d skip over them to hear the new stuff.  But a few weeks ago, I started listening to those two songs again and something’s really clicked for me.  I really like them both, and more often than not, they’re the songs I wake up with in my head each morning. 

I still remember the parts of those songs that used to sort of…  bug me… for lack of a better word…  But now those are the parts I particularly dig. 

So far, this album is doing good for me on repeated listens.  I almost stopped listening to the album for a while from mid-to-late December.  But then I started to “put it on” a lot more throughout January.  A few weeks ago, the whole album morphed into something else for me.  I’m really enjoying it.   

F*&k what Quincy Jones said yesterday…  Sounds like he’s gone off the deep end, anyway…  LOL! 

Offline Albono

• Child of Grace
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2018, 01:26:45 AM »
the "sh*thole countries" line at the grammys gave it a whole new perspective.
now I freakin' love it! Bono turned it to a rebel song!

Offline xy

• Child of Grace
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2018, 05:06:42 AM »
Never hated it, but I do think Best thing is the better pop tune between the two of them.

Offline Billy Rhythm

• Babyface
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2018, 07:42:43 AM »
the "sh*thole countries" line at the grammys gave it a whole new perspective.
now I freakin' love it! Bono turned it to a rebel song!
I've thought that it was a "rebel song" all along, even before I initially heard it and knew of the title which is a brilliant bit of advice...  What eventually warmed me to the song was the live versions though (BBC/Grammies)...  I like how The Edge's guitar is more prominent when the vocals first start...  In fact, it's The Edge who really shines on this one, in my opinion...  I have trouble deciding between whether his solo here, or on 'Lights of Home' takes home the 'Best Solo' award for the new album...  Outstanding...:-) 

Offline Rasmus

• Stateless
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2018, 04:34:03 PM »
Because its another example of the safe and boring U2. The song is not bad but it's not exciting either is it? Also I dont like the lyrics in the verses.

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • welp, looks like I'm not making it to 10k posts
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2018, 10:14:48 AM »
I love the song, but not the arrangement. To me, that song is screaming for a Pop-style treatment.

Offline Argo

• Party Girl/Boy
  • I Am Here
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2018, 11:19:03 PM »
I quite like it but feel it could have been stronger. This album more than most seems to have drawn very diverse opinions on so many songs. the good thing out of this is that there is something there for everyone but little consensus on the best songs on the album (although Little Things seems the most consistently rated in various polls I have seen). At the end of the day - to each, their own.

Offline Beneathadesertsky

• Wanderer
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2018, 03:32:34 AM »
The music video I know turned people off. I know where the band stands on the world right now but at times they almost seem like they cram it down your throat and that brings up certain emotions....That is all I will say. :)

For me its just nothing special. I think the problem is the band is trying to remain fresh and unfortunately they are going down the same path as a lot of bands before them who have done everything there is to do.

The last album I honestly thought they brought a piece of gold to the table was all that you cant leave behind and that was what 2000?

Still one of my favorite bands though :)