Author Topic: Whats with all the hate of Get Out of Your Own Way?  (Read 3429 times)

Offline Bundang Dave

• Staring at the Sun
  • It's not what I want; it's what I need.
Re: Whats with all the hate of Get Out of Your Own Way?
« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2018, 07:20:53 PM »
I just read that line as something parallel to Moses leading the slaves to freedom outside of Egypt. They're not looking for a master but a leader.

Offline iced

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • You don't see me but you will..I am not invisible.
« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2018, 05:10:16 AM »
Still one of the of the best songs from the album.

It seems odd.

Maybe just to mainstream?

Offline Tortuga

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2018, 06:38:08 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Still one of the of the best songs from the album.

It seems odd.

Maybe just to mainstream?

Just sounds too much like U2 by the numbers and too much like Beautiful Day.  There is no problem with the song itself.  But if you’ve been a fan of U2, literally since Boy, you’ve been on a journey.  You’ve experienced multiple re-inventions of their sound, all of them pretty good.  Boy and October are from the same mold, then big change with War, then big change with UF, then pretty big change with JT.  R&H they started to get derivative but then AB hit and shocked us all in a good way.  Then Zooropa was kind of a filler, not a huge change but then Pop..wow.

ATYCLB was the first trip back to U2 Basics and it was a welcome return, but now that’s pretty much where they’ve been for 20 years.  NLOTH had some nice fresh’ish stuff but was uneven.  I guess I’m just bored with U2 now.  I can see how if you’re not cursed with such a detailed listening of music it might not bother you as much.  But I’m still hoping for another big adventure or two before this band calls it a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • I love the peaceful life.
« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2018, 07:21:40 AM »
It was a detailed listening that got me into SOE.

Offline Tortuga

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #49 on: September 28, 2018, 09:00:22 AM »
It was a detailed listening that got me into SOE.

It was a detailed listening that got me bored with it.

Ditto for SOI.  The more you listen to something the more familiar it becomes.  There were no new lyrical themes to discover.  I would sincerely love to know what ground you found in SOE that Bono hadn’t already covered (besides the Trump stuff that was awkwardly squeezed in).   How many songs can you put the lyric “free yourself to be yourself” in?

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #50 on: September 28, 2018, 07:16:55 PM »
I'm not going to change your mind about SOE and SOI and that's fine! The point I wanted to make was not to change your mind, but challenge your assumption that those who liked them weren't listening in detail, and anyone who listened in detail would inevitably grow bored.

I did not like SOE at first, and in fact itvwas the hardest album for me to come to appreciate (I still don't like HTDAAB, so if I someday do, which I doubt, that distinction will then go to that album).

It was only repeated, detailed listening that lot up the album for me.

What new themes are there? Well, SOE is told from an entirely new life phase, as an elder. It grapples with death from the perpective of someone who has gotten a lot closer to it. He speaks to his children in a different way, as adults (or near adults).

Some themes carry on, like refugees, but have fresh perpectives that resonate with me. "Same oceans crossed, for some it's pleasure, some is pain" is very powerful and applies well beyond the refugees. "Paradise is a place, you can see it when it's yours" also sparked many branches of meaning for me, from the literal (I read about a Salvadorian or Honduran woman who described seeing the US border for the first time and it suddenly feeling real for the first time ever, and filling her with both hope and the fear that she would not be able to get there) to the spritual, and even a secular allegory.

I don't want to go on and on, but yes, themes really resonated with me. Even what carries on from the past have new ideas and takes and perspectives. And I liked these themes all along; the thing that I heard all those years ago is what keeps me coming back for more.

Sorry it's not resonating for you. My guess is the next album will pull away from the full-on autobiography.

Offline Tortuga

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2018, 08:59:13 PM »
I'm not going to change your mind about SOE and SOI and that's fine! The point I wanted to make was not to change your mind, but challenge your assumption that those who liked them weren't listening in detail, and anyone who listened in detail would inevitably grow bored.

I did not like SOE at first, and in fact itvwas the hardest album for me to come to appreciate (I still don't like HTDAAB, so if I someday do, which I doubt, that distinction will then go to that album).

It was only repeated, detailed listening that lot up the album for me.

What new themes are there? Well, SOE is told from an entirely new life phase, as an elder. It grapples with death from the perpective of someone who has gotten a lot closer to it. He speaks to his children in a different way, as adults (or near adults).

Some themes carry on, like refugees, but have fresh perpectives that resonate with me. "Same oceans crossed, for some it's pleasure, some is pain" is very powerful and applies well beyond the refugees. "Paradise is a place, you can see it when it's yours" also sparked many branches of meaning for me, from the literal (I read about a Salvadorian or Honduran woman who described seeing the US border for the first time and it suddenly feeling real for the first time ever, and filling her with both hope and the fear that she would not be able to get there) to the spritual, and even a secular allegory.

I don't want to go on and on, but yes, themes really resonated with me. Even what carries on from the past have new ideas and takes and perspectives. And I liked these themes all along; the thing that I heard all those years ago is what keeps me coming back for more.

Sorry it's not resonating for you. My guess is the next album will pull away from the full-on autobiography.

I guess what I meant by detailed listening is how the rhythms and chord progressions have been repeated so many times, even in similar arrangements.  Like when you sit down to learn a new U2 song (guitar) and you realize its the third time you’ve learned it.

Well, that’s all well-trod themes to me.  The elder/death thing...wasn’t that Kite and One Step Closer from ATYCLB?  Its all repeats to me.  And the retreading from SOI to SOE was like the straw that broke the camels back.  Not that I’ve given up.  I think U2 has another GREAT album or two left in them.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2018, 09:19:13 PM »
I haven't played many U2 songs in guitar, so chord progressions aren't a thing I've paid a lot of attention to, yeah. Though I've noticed in general that chord progressions are not often unique anyway.

I do think the drumming on SOE is fantastic. Lights of Home, for example, is amazing.

Some great bass lines, too.

Yup, next album should be different.

Offline SwimmingSorrows

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • Some folks are bound for glory, I was Born to Hang
« Reply #53 on: September 29, 2018, 02:13:13 AM »
It's this album's Crazy Tonight.