Author Topic: The Beatitudes and “GOOYOW” and “American Soul”  (Read 396 times)

Offline Vox

• Running to Stand Still
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
The Beatitudes and “GOOYOW” and “American Soul”
« on: January 10, 2018, 10:39:16 AM »
RE:  the Kendrick Lamar outro of “Get out of Your Own Way” and intro of “American Soul.” 

A few reviews I have read reference the beatitudes.  One review I read said it “turned the beatitudes on their head,” or something like that.  It seems fairly obvious that Bono was referencing the beatitudes with these lines.  But to me, they don’t seem to be correlating in any direct way to the ones mentioned in Matthew or Luke, besides the “blessed are…” and the word “kingdom” in the second line. 

Are they meant to be an update to the beatitudes?  If that’s the case, they don’t seem to be talking about the downtrodden or lowly having a brighter future, like the beatitudes of the Gospels do.   

Granted, I’m not a theologian or Bible expert.  I just haven’t been able to figure it out since hearing “Get out of Your Own Way” months ago.  They must be there for a reason.  Curious if others have any thoughts or theories on it.

Offline DrDoom171

• Intellectual Tortoise
Re: The Beatitudes and “GOOYOW” and “American Soul”
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 12:12:42 PM »
In my opinion, they are definitely NOT Bono's idea of trying to revise the biblical beatitudes.  I think it is just the opposite.  The biblical beatitudes bless the poor and downtrodden and state that one day they will be magnified and elevated.  I see the Kendrick Lamar beatitudes as sarcastic insults aimed at the rich and self-important people essentially saying that they will be brought down to a lowly level someday.  I think more specifically it was aimed at a certain American politician.

Offline olimar

• Refugee
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 01:01:32 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
In my opinion, they are definitely NOT Bono's idea of trying to revise the biblical beatitudes.  I think it is just the opposite.  The biblical beatitudes bless the poor and downtrodden and state that one day they will be magnified and elevated.  I see the Kendrick Lamar beatitudes as sarcastic insults aimed at the rich and self-important people essentially saying that they will be brought down to a lowly level someday.  I think more specifically it was aimed at a certain American politician.

Pretty sure Bono said as much, it was against those who were destroying the concept of America, or something. I cant remember where it was, thought it was the Rolling Stone interview but cant find it in there.

Offline olimar

• Refugee
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 01:23:40 PM »

Pretty sure Bono said as much, it was against those who were destroying the concept of America, or something. I cant remember where it was, thought it was the Rolling Stone interview but cant find it in there.

This, from an interview with Stereogum-
Edge began on the band’s relationship with the rapper: “It was really just that we were fans. We were just thinking about artists we really respect and like, and he was on the top of our list. We look for artists that we feel have a similar spirit.”
“There’s a righteous anger that is hard to argue with,” Bono adds. “I asked him would he rap about where America is at, his reply was to rap about where America isn’t at. Smart dude.”

Offline romans58

• Babyface
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2018, 01:27:45 PM »

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • St Louis,Omaha,Montreal 1&2, NYC 3, Belfast 1,2
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2018, 07:07:14 AM »
A new contest is on U2.com to remix the Be Attitudes.