Author Topic: SOI and SOE CD's, annoying  (Read 1300 times)

Offline canucklehead

• Stranger in a Strange Land
SOI and SOE CD's, annoying
« on: January 16, 2018, 10:50:09 AM »
Hi I don't post much. I still like collecting CD's. Is it just me or are others experiencing the same thing with the following. When I play the last two U2 cd's on my car cd player or at home on my blue ray player it can't read the cd's therefore I get no names of the album or the songs and just says untitled and track 1 or 2 or 3 etc. Very annoying. I have tons of other cd's including much older ones and they don't have this problem, name of album and name of song is always on the screen. Was this some kind of money saving thing by U2 to not embed any album info into the cd's? All previous U2 cd's are fine.
Looking for answers,thanks.

Offline JVelvet3

Re: SOI and SOE CD's, annoying
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 06:09:57 PM »
A similar thing happened to me when I ripped SOE of to my PC. Windows Media Player could not find any info on it. I had to manually enter all of the song names. This was a few days after it was released, and I thought it was odd that it couldn't find anything for a major release by a popular band.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • St Louis,Omaha,Montreal 1&2, NYC 3, Belfast 1,2
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 06:14:15 PM »
No gracenote?

Offline canucklehead

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 06:35:20 PM »
If that's what you call it then definitely no. Yes very strange for a big band like U2 to do these cost cutting measures,but it's only the SOI and SOE albums.

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 04:28:53 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
A similar thing happened to me when I ripped SOE of to my PC. Windows Media Player could not find any info on it. I had to manually enter all of the song names. This was a few days after it was released, and I thought it was odd that it couldn't find anything for a major release by a popular band.

That's most albums through Windows Media Player though if you rip there. If you do it the day of release, it's probably not going to have info in the system yet. Even then, I sometimes still have to update the info manually to account for something missing on older releases.

I have Exact Audio Copy as well, but haven't used it consistently yet. Will probably get around to purchasing it outright and doing so though.

Offline canucklehead

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 08:30:57 PM »
Judging by the lack of replies I must be one of the few who still likes buying cd's. Nobody else experiencing the same problem? Did U2 cheap out??

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2018, 08:06:01 PM »
Judging by the lack of replies I must be one of the few who still likes buying cd's. Nobody else experiencing the same problem? Did U2 cheap out??

I've come around to buying CDs, but at this point they're releasing very few of them, so it's hard to keep the interest up too much.

Offline canucklehead

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2018, 01:02:09 PM »

I've come around to buying CDs, but at this point they're releasing very few of them, so it's hard to keep the interest up too much.
Ok,I think. But you didn't answer my original question. Are you experiencing the same thing with not getting name of album or names of songs,in other words no gracenote program imbedded into CD.

Offline jc619er

• Numb
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2018, 07:51:19 PM »
Honestly it's a case by case basis and I don't know the rhyme or reason to it. I still buy CDs all the time of my favorite artists and if I really enjoy the album and some CDs have data embedded and some don't. I wish I knew why this was and I do wish all CDs had it coded in because it's nice when it pulls up on your car stereo. But oh well, that's what the cover is for, right?

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2018, 11:54:36 PM »

I still listen to just Cd's, but my CD player in the car and the one at home does not name the album or anything. It just list the track numbers.

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2018, 11:01:02 PM »

Ok,I think. But you didn't answer my original question. Are you experiencing the same thing with not getting name of album or names of songs,in other words no gracenote program imbedded into CD.

No, I haven't had any problems with their CDs being read properly in iTunes.