Author Topic: Is it time to bring Lanois and Eno back?  (Read 750 times)

Offline gottago

• Wanderer
Is it time to bring Lanois and Eno back?
« on: January 19, 2018, 03:28:51 PM »
I fall into the category of SOI and SOE being very nice albums well-produced albums. I believe neither of them will be U2 classics though.

After 2 albums and almost 10 years since they last worked with Lanois and Eno, is time to bring the duo back to produce Songs of Ascent?

Offline MattD

• Headache in a Suitcase
Re: Is it time to bring Lanois and Eno back?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 05:14:35 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I fall into the category of SOI and SOE being very nice albums well-produced albums. I believe neither of them will be U2 classics though.

After 2 albums and almost 10 years since they last worked with Lanois and Eno, is time to bring the duo back to produce Songs of Ascent?

At this stage in their career, they are at their best when they are not chasing the MOR pop hits. This is their major failing on all albums since No Line, and which arguably ruin them too. You're The Best Thing is just unbelievably flat and isn't nearly as good as they think it is. Mediocrity it really is.

But when you get something like The Little Things, there's an intimacy and beauty there that has sorely been lacking since U2 hired cheap contrived pop plastic fodder like Ryan Tedder.

If they could marry that intimacy and beauty along with their more impressionistic evocative soundscapes that were conjured up with Eno/Lanois, then it would be a great idea to get the duo back on board. Although I might add that it would be useful to hire Andy Barlow too - arguably he brought out the introspection in their music more than anyone has in the 21st century. Some really beautiful pieces of music (Love Is All We Have Left, Little Things, Book of Your Heart), and of all the producers who produced SOI and SOE (and there were far too many) he is the only one who comes out of it with flying colours.

It's important to echo Eno's sentiments that they don't quite know their strengths, when he referred to the magic day when Moment of Surrender was conjured up and his frustration in spending so much time on wasteful poor material like Crazy Tonight.

It would therefore have to be a strict rule of bringing in no MOR popster to dilute their songs - so no Will.I.Am (thanks to him for contributing the awful I'll Go Crazy) or bland songsters like Tedder who make modern day Coldplay tunes sound like the compositions of Lennon/McCartney.

Offline gottago

• Wanderer
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2018, 07:16:26 PM »

At this stage in their career, they are at their best when they are not chasing the MOR pop hits. This is their major failing on all albums since No Line, and which arguably ruin them too. You're The Best Thing is just unbelievably flat and isn't nearly as good as they think it is. Mediocrity it really is.

But when you get something like The Little Things, there's an intimacy and beauty there that has sorely been lacking since U2 hired cheap contrived pop plastic fodder like Ryan Tedder.

If they could marry that intimacy and beauty along with their more impressionistic evocative soundscapes that were conjured up with Eno/Lanois, then it would be a great idea to get the duo back on board. Although I might add that it would be useful to hire Andy Barlow too - arguably he brought out the introspection in their music more than anyone has in the 21st century. Some really beautiful pieces of music (Love Is All We Have Left, Little Things, Book of Your Heart), and of all the producers who produced SOI and SOE (and there were far too many) he is the only one who comes out of it with flying colours.

It's important to echo Eno's sentiments that they don't quite know their strengths, when he referred to the magic day when Moment of Surrender was conjured up and his frustration in spending so much time on wasteful poor material like Crazy Tonight.

It would therefore have to be a strict rule of bringing in no MOR popster to dilute their songs - so no Will.I.Am (thanks to him for contributing the awful I'll Go Crazy) or bland songsters like Tedder who make modern day Coldplay tunes sound like the compositions of Lennon/McCartney.

Vey well said.  Speaking of NLOTH, I wonder what the album would have sounded like if they would not have felt the need to put some "hits" on the album such as Breathe, Let's Go Crazy, and Stand-up.  Those three songs did not fit the feel of the album at all.  I would love to hear the songs they replaced.

Offline blovesu2

• Wanderer
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2018, 09:43:58 PM »
Absolutely, yes.
It's always time for Eno/Lanois

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2018, 10:51:48 PM »
Probably not. Even with a foundational producer as solid as Lanois and a detail-oriented producer as creative as Eno, there are only so many times you can go back to the well. I think U2 would be better served by getting away from the desire to have another number 1 radio hit than by going back to Eno/Lanois...or Lillywhite, for that matter.

Offline suitoflights

• Desert Rose
  • You gotta hold on baby to my special feature
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2018, 03:44:46 PM »
I'd like to see U2 do a full on dance album. I know they've got it in them. They almost did it with POP - the first three songs are bangers. It's almost like they chickened out and brought things down again with the ballad IGWSHA.

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2018, 08:49:03 AM »
Doubt they could even get Lanois back at this point - he seems to be really heavily into his own thing these days.

Eno running the ship alone could be interesting, but I'd rather just see The Edge formally take the captain's chair. Atticus Ross is still my dream producer for U2, but now that he's officially a member of NIN, he's probably not gonna have time for any other production jobs.

Offline Chip

• Numb
  • "Hey, I've been waiting to get home a long time"
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2018, 09:54:33 PM »
Sometimes I think it would be good to see Eno and Lanois back, but not all the time. More than anything, I'd like to see them stick with one producer for an entire album, whatever the results. Then if they don't like the end product, they can go to another producer the next time.

Offline CLarryG

• Babyface
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2018, 08:52:10 AM »
Simple answer... ABSOLUTELY, NO QUESTION! The 4 best albums: AB, TJT, NLONH, UF = Eno, Lanois

Offline unknown_caller

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2018, 04:15:28 AM »
YES. I thought at around the time of NLOTH it was agreed that they were now in the band?? Well .. probably more wishful hearing...
just take a look at sioux lookout on youtube and compare to the last two U2 albums ..

the whole chasing after the young fans thing is not working .. they don't care. saw an interview on Irish television of fans who got tickets for the u2 concert .. loads of people in their 50s with grey hair. embrace your age lads and make some old man country/gospel/soul music with Eno and Lanois again :D

Offline u2live

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2018, 08:41:04 AM »
how can you not, using all these so called current producers hasn't helped get hits so why not

Offline achtungx

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Lillywhite Called Me a Naughty British Slang Word
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2018, 07:26:01 AM »
The combo of Lanois, Eno and Flood.

You need all three.

Kick Jacknife and Tedder to the curb violently. Andy Barlow can stay if they want him to. I have no qualms with him. His work was actually good. If no Flood, then Barlow.

Offline Luzita

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2018, 10:29:57 AM »
I am in no hurry to see Eno/Lanois return. They were important to the band’s career but not as important as some fans seem to feel. My own favorite album is War. HTDAAB and SOI were good albums and SOE is possibly a great one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline xy

• Child of Grace
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2018, 05:09:44 AM »
Yes but only if they can bring up the magic again (ie another great one like JT or AB) but NLOTH doesn't convice me.

You know what ? I say let Andy Barlow be in charge next time. Book of your heart and the opener are the most sonically interesting things on the album, plus the man beat other producers with his work on The Little things.

Offline JFW

• Numb
  • Wondering why I still walk the earth
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2018, 05:05:23 PM »
Yes, they do!

Do some Original Soundstrack 1, or so. Something great. More details like Zooropa (can you hear the man talking before Edge starts to sing numb?). It's time. I want more Lemon, Slug, Your Blue Room, Mofo, FEZ, some ballads would be nice. But play more with badass sounds and try something