Author Topic: New Video for GOOYOW  (Read 3494 times)

Offline braxhunt

• Refugee
  • Feel like trash - you make me feel clean
Re: New Video for GOOYOW
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2018, 05:56:40 PM »
I wrote a politically infused lengthy comment and then almost immediately deleted it in order to honor the spirit of the moderators. Everything in self-moderation, I always say.

Offline Sunchild

• Stateless
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2018, 01:02:23 AM »
I can only say that if I could even feel that anyone or anything in God's creation is horrible I would not be bringing any unity anywhere, and certainly not living by the words of Jesus if I was dividing the world inside of myself unconsciously battling in my own dualistic soul. Oneness comes with seeing ourselves in and as others. But I appeciate that U2 are exressing themselves the way they are and exposing their own demons, the same like I am thankful there are racists or bigots, rapists, whatever some people label as horrible, we deserve what each one of us creates. To me U2 have become more specific or explicit in their videos or songs since Songs Of Innocence, to the point of singing about themselves, their past or present, and reflecting on that, it was not as much about the world, but the world inside of them, the songs like Miracle are a good example for me, hence why the feeling like they're excluding the wider interpretations. And I love that progression, I can relate to anything they've done, as even things they're against I find to be beautifully and paradoxically supporting, the attention itself is a support, and this internal conflict and hypocrisy of U2 has always been very prominent and attractive in their music. Although I feel like they might be losing massive amounts of followers at this time. 

When it comes to the unity and division as two separate ways we can choose. We all are dividing in all kinds of ways in life, the more different we are the more divided, yet there is a different angle to it, we have a choice not to demonize the opposite side, literally putting them down, not as equal, but something less than us. Christianity proposes the idea of good vs evil, yet Christianity as a religion and the real teachings of Jesus Christ, Krishna, Buddha and all the other ascended masters are known to be contradictory. Religions teach about existence of evil, yet the masters taught to love thy neighbor and be whole with the world. Christianity created energy of evil as its own distinct force of contraction by inventing, imagining and defining evil, which is manifesting in a physical matter as a result, bringing things from the spirit down to a realm of the body, and consequently then people had a reason fighting it, perpetuating a reality of conflicting duality over and over again, the wars of good vs evil, heaven vs hell, light vs dark, instead of bringing them into unity as part of one whole, as light AND dark equally. In any martial arts we honour our opponents, no stabbing in the back, honouring means to respect them as equal, disagreeing with or fighting our opponent is not the same as demonizing them. But the neutrality relates only to a feeling state of the heart, not the inaction, we all naturally choose pathsways to follow and act on them that just happen to be at odds with others, but those paths are not in the mind and the heart defined and felt as the sides that demonzing the opposite sides, merely focusing on what feels right without defining others as wrong, bad or evil, focusing on the good of all things God created, seeing good in what was previously defined evil is healing it. There is no evil itself in existence, that is all in the mind separating what is ultimately whole, neither light or dark can win, they exist separately, but both co-exist without fighting one another. Yet we can recognize that some of us need to have that path of good vs evil, to be mirrors of the war we wage in our own karmic path.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 07:55:49 AM by Sunchild »

Offline the_chief

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2018, 07:45:35 AM »
Some people are going overboard with their reaction to the video...

I like it.
I don't like videos that tell a story as I like to leave what the song symbolizes to the listener

Offline U2Fan

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Everything in the f****** hotel is brown.
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2018, 10:27:33 AM »
Wow. The comments on U2's facebook post of this video are extremely negative. Not good for business.

Asteroid41

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2018, 10:40:11 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Wow. The comments on U2's facebook post of this video are extremely negative. Not good for business.

Yeah, bad actors and bad actresses commenting on facebook currently, or semi-fans that actually never truly understood U2. And I think the band already said they don't have to do it for the money.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 12:48:32 PM by Asteroid41 »

Offline morph

• Refugee
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2018, 03:16:48 PM »
The comments on the YouTube page are... relentlessly abusive. Wow. I can't imagine there hasn't been an element of orchestration behind it.

As for the video, I'm behind all the politics and stuff but I think of this as a more personal song, so was rather hoping they'd release that fireworks-on-the-beach thing. Ah well.

Time to release Lights of Home!

Offline HolyHandGrenade

• Stateless
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2018, 12:26:23 AM »
I don't know if you guys are familiar with liberation theology, but this whole debate about overt partisanship and rejecting the notion of conciliatory "unity" has deep roots in Christianity itself. If you'll indulge me, the following is taken from a couple essays I wrote on it for a theology class:

---------------

The most prominent of [Albert Nolan's] claims are that God does not want good to be reconciled and diluted by evil, that neutrality is not always possible or desirable, and that conflicts are not always treatable or viewable on a personal level in terms of scale and nature. All these statements attempt to dispel the status quo of the commonly practiced Christian modus operandi for conflict of minimization and avoidance at all costs, in the name of “peace.”

Principal among these claims from a theological and conceptual standpoint (the latter two being centered more around application) is Nolan’s clarification that while the secular, mortal world may be entirely characterized by shades of gray, the domain of God and his will for his people is absolute, and black and white. Goodness is fully good, and evil is fully evil, and we should expect nothing but that juxtaposition, naturally.  As Nolan puts it, “In some conflicts one side is right and the other wrong, one side is being unjust and oppressive and the other is suffering injustice and oppression. In such cases a policy of seeking consensus and not taking sides would be quite wrong. Christians are not supposed to try to reconcile good and evil, justice and injustice; we are supposed to do away with evil, injustice and sin,” (Nolan 5).

The challenge presented here for Christians is that, rather that approximating some middle ground, it is prudent or even necessary to partake in discernment of what elements of the conflict are truly good or truly indefensible. While both sides may have rationally valid positions, the type of thing summed up by a lowercase “good,” the presence of a capital “Good” tenet on one side or another can trump [haha] any logic or restraint.

The second, and perhaps more weighty, aspect of neutrality being undesirable is that inaction implicitly perpetuates the status quo. As expressed by Nolan, “If we do not take sides with the oppressed, then we are, albeit unintentionally, taking sides with the oppressor,” (Nolan 5). He goes on to emphasize that in this taking of sides per se, it is the oppressed and poor who Christians must flock to. Recalling the concept that a “Good” supersedes the value of subjective “goods,” Jesus’ ministry shows us that fighting for the oppressed and against the evil of a malicious throne or system is a duty...

Being from South Africa, where racial oppression, and societal and economic division are a blatantly visible aspect of life, it is no surprise that he is a vocal proponent of liberation and seeking conflict (and no surprise that South Africa would adopt Liberation Theology). Nolan outlines some sticking points that prevent Christians from understanding the necessity of conflict, including that it is wrong to assume that there is “always blame on both sides” and that “a person can be neutral in all cases of conflict” (Nolan 5). Furthermore, he states that it is a dangerous misconception to treat the “peace” of a status quo and a reconciliation of two sides and such. Rather, it is the complicity of a side one must oppose diametrically, however marginal the concessions are. He backs this up by referring to the ascending salvation of Jesus’ ministry: “Do you suppose that I am here to bring peace on Earth? No, I tell you, but rather dissension. For from now on a household will be divided” (Luke 12:51-53; Matthew 10:34-36).

---------------

Christians often side with abortion rights at the expense of the multitude of anti-Christian and anti-humanitarian (which has its own place - You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login) implications Trump, and Republican policies in general carry. And nonetheless, supporting life is fine, but using it to reconcile and support other unacceptable policies is misguided. 
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 12:28:38 AM by HolyHandGrenade »

Offline ahmadsquad

• Babyface
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2018, 07:35:11 PM »
So I'd like to focus on the video itself.

The images that really struck me most were the Klansman on the subway, and the Klansman at his house. I'm not entirely certain of their symbolic significance, but I think it speaks to the fact that racists lead mostly ordinary lives like the rest of us. What does that say about racists? What does that say about racism?

Those images, and (of course) the dead child on the beach. The shot looks like a postcard, or an ad in a travel magazine. If not for, you know, the dead child. That part hits me like a punch to the gut. I think it speaks to how people try to put their best face in front of others, and ignore the deeper, darker truths of life.

As for the images of Trump, I actually think the video goes easy on him. At least compared to images I've seen from Roger Water's recent tour.

Offline Luzita

• Refugee
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2018, 09:55:05 PM »
I think that this album started out very personal and then had politics shoe-horned into it after Trump got elected. U2 have certainly always been political and always leaned left but since this song didn’t start out political the splice is a bit awkward.

Regarding the video, the animation style is interesting. Regarding the content, apparently U2 gave the artists, Broken Fingaz, free rein on that.

The KKK images are understandable, given Charlottesville, but the image of the drowned boy doesn’t fit. It’s a European issue and predates Trump. Plus there is something about turning the image of that boy into a cartoonish animation that feels really inappropriate to me.

As for the discussion of politics on this forum — I joined after the ban went into effect so I don’t know what went on, but I like having a politics-free zone considering how venomous political discussions can quickly become. I like that U2 have made it clear they disapprove of Trump without condemning Trump supporters. Demonization of broad groups of people never leads anyplace good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline MadRob360

• Refugee
  • Jealousy Is A Disease
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2018, 10:46:34 AM »
I think it's a great video and a step in a new direction, very creative! :D

Offline iced

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • You don't see me but you will..I am not invisible.
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2018, 05:23:29 AM »
I unchecked both Clinton and Trump in my election ballot.

So I feel solid here.

However, I'm actually beginning to actually like Mr. Donald.

But unfortunately like most, he seems like a cartoon drunk stupid fool with a toupee.

If he wasn't such a twitter fool...he might have a chance at legitimacy..

Unfortunately his own ego will eventually swallow him up.

blah, blah, blah...

It is what it is..

Regardless, I like the video.

I love the graphics (I won't call them special effects).

**good song
**neat video

I wish this was their first single.

Hope the band absolutely kills it @ the Grammys in front of +LIVE 20-30 million viewers in the U.S.

U2 and their 14th album deserves at least...platinum.

**good song

...Great song
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 05:57:57 AM by iced »

Offline feedback

• Refugee
  • 'Father is an Elephant'
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2018, 09:57:07 AM »
When is the Mexican/Day of the Dead version coming out? Anybody know?

Offline morph

• Refugee
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2018, 02:29:42 PM »
I suspect it may have been canned.

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2018, 11:20:23 PM »

I’ve seen a lot of U2 ‘fans’ disowning them and saying they are finished for slating ‘my’ president. But being brutally honest, how can they call themselves U2 fans? This is a band that has always been very liberal from a political perspective, and thankfully so, so how many more right wing fans of the band didn’t get this is hilarious in showing up their idiocy.
Good riddance I say. U2 doesn’t need fans like them.

Just saw this, and I wish I had seen it sooner. DON'T bring personal politics into this, especially with statements as wrong as what you posted. We've made it clear that you are welcome debate what effect U2's politics bring to their music and how it works with their fans, but if you start making personal statements about their fans, that crosses a line we have found too toxic here. Feel free to talk about what U2's politics do to their music, but commenting against a fan's politics necessitates a warning. Talking about your personal politics != how politics affect U2's art.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 10:11:36 PM by singnomore »

Offline DulmoU2

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2018, 12:12:36 PM »

I dont know, but I got a chance to be at that shoot, and appear in the video and i am very sad it has not seen the light yet :(

got a chance to hug the lads as well..