Author Topic: New Zealand and Australia left out again  (Read 2906 times)

Offline Boy

• Stranger in a Strange Land
New Zealand and Australia left out again
« on: January 20, 2018, 10:21:46 PM »
What the f***??
How is it possible NZ and Australia have been left out AGAIN??
Why did the 2017 Joshua Tree Tour not come? Especially given U2's connection to NZ?
Obviously that doesn't count anymore? Bono is a hypocrite, supposedly all about the music and fans, now it's all about the money.
And now the new tour, based on two BAD albums has been announced...no set list but wow - they're gonna play a lot of material from their last two albums which BOMBED commercially. Maybe the tour should be called 'songs no body wants to hear'?
This band has sold out...disgusting.

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
Re: New Zealand and Australia left out again
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 12:47:54 AM »
There was talk of the JT tour at the end of the year but the way things are looking, I think probably more likely in 2019 if at all.  You would have to guess it would be a JT tour given how long they haven't been here.  I have never heard any of their latest stuff on radio at all.

I guess it is easier not to come, I did hear Bono say that it is a very long way although other bands seem to make here even Paul McCartney who is in his seventies now.  He was very coy when pressed about coming here.

If one was to be cynical it does seem to be all about them desperate to stay relevant in Europe and America.  I guess Australia is a bit of a backwater in comparison from all sorts of perspectives so yes you could say they could have sold out in that maybe playing in Australia is a big lot of hassle with little return to their agenda. 

I expect that the touring schedule will be pretty grueling and they are not a young band so they are going to put their energy where they think it counts the most for their agenda whatever that is. 

They may still come in 2019 but I am not holding my breath.  I guess the longer they stay away the less relevant they become over here with regards to their newer music.  I am at the point where I don't really care either way.  I expect if they come I would go but whatever.  I wouldn't live anywhere else with or without U2
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 01:02:19 AM by summerholly »

Offline Gavin82

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 04:09:00 AM »
Can you send me the link too where you have read that U2 have oficially said Oz/Nz are NOT getting any shows please..???
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 12:16:26 AM by singnomore »

Offline podiumboy

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2018, 11:05:29 AM »
If they are indeed coming to Australia/NZ, It won't be until Nov/Dec, or early 2019 more likely.  Thus, no reason to make an announcement yet.

If they do arenas, theyd probably do 4 nights in Sydney, Melbourne and Auckland.  At least 2 in Brisbane and Perth, if not more.  At minimum you've got 16 shows there.  That would take a very solid month for U2.  So if they got there in mid November, that'd put them as finishing the Australian leg right before Christmas.  Then maybe throw in some Asian shows in after the new year?  Or just do Australia and Asia in early 2019?  Timing is key here.  This December it will be 8 years since their last visit.  Almost as long as the gap from Feb 98 to Nov 06.

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2018, 04:25:46 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
If they are indeed coming to Australia/NZ, It won't be until Nov/Dec, or early 2019 more likely.  Thus, no reason to make an announcement yet.

If they do arenas, theyd probably do 4 nights in Sydney, Melbourne and Auckland.  At least 2 in Brisbane and Perth, if not more.  At minimum you've got 16 shows there.  That would take a very solid month for U2.  So if they got there in mid November, that'd put them as finishing the Australian leg right before Christmas.  Then maybe throw in some Asian shows in after the new year?  Or just do Australia and Asia in early 2019?  Timing is key here.  This December it will be 8 years since their last visit.  Almost as long as the gap from Feb 98 to Nov 06.

I wouldn't expect the band to be away from home and their families over Christmas and New Year especially after after touring for most of 2018 so it makes more sense to come early 2019

Offline NintendoFan204

• Babyface
  • Don't mind me... just some cool guy.
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2018, 04:51:52 PM »
If the last two albums are so bad, then why would you care that you are unable to see them?

Also, nothing has confirmed that they won't eventually go to NZ and Australia...

Offline Boy

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2018, 09:13:01 PM »
Agree: easier not to come, although given the amount of sensational artists that have toured NZ/Australia in 2016/2017? Well guess I will be spending my money buying their music and concert tickets!

Still; was holding out for the JT tour given the albums enormous success on the NZ and Australian charts AND the legacy on ONE TREE HILL.

Seems Bono and the boys just don't give a F*** anymore.

There was talk of the JT tour at the end of the year but the way things are looking, I think probably more likely in 2019 if at all.  You would have to guess it would be a JT tour given how long they haven't been here.  I have never heard any of their latest stuff on radio at all.

I guess it is easier not to come, I did hear Bono say that it is a very long way although other bands seem to make here even Paul McCartney who is in his seventies now.  He was very coy when pressed about coming here.

If one was to be cynical it does seem to be all about them desperate to stay relevant in Europe and America.  I guess Australia is a bit of a backwater in comparison from all sorts of perspectives so yes you could say they could have sold out in that maybe playing in Australia is a big lot of hassle with little return to their agenda. 

I expect that the touring schedule will be pretty grueling and they are not a young band so they are going to put their energy where they think it counts the most for their agenda whatever that is. 

They may still come in 2019 but I am not holding my breath.  I guess the longer they stay away the less relevant they become over here with regards to their newer music.  I am at the point where I don't really care either way.  I expect if they come I would go but whatever.  I wouldn't live anywhere else with or without U2

Offline podiumboy

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2018, 02:40:06 PM »
Okay, I'm just going to propose this mock-up hypothetical scenario to show how it would be possible for an Australian leg at the end of this year.  The European tour is rumored to end on November 1st in Belfast.  So if that's true, we'll give U2 a 3 week break.  I am making no predictions, just giving an outline of basically how much time would be required to do a NZ/Aus leg properly.

Auckland- Nov 22, 23, 26, 27
Brisbane- Nov 30, Dec 1
Sydney- Dec 4, 5, 8, 9
Melbourne- Dec 12, 13, 16, 17
Perth- Dec 20, 21

That cuts it pretty close to Christmas, but the 2010 360 tour ended in Perth on Dec 19th.  If they were to only take a 2 week break after Europe, then move everything back a week, and this becomes a lot more feasible.  Perth and Brisbane could probably handle more shows too.  My point is that there is JUST ENOUGH time to do it at the end of the year.  Then possibly do Asia in January 2019.  Realistically, I think early 2019 seems more likely.

I read something recently where a lot of major artists are scared of going to Australia, after Madonna's recent tour there was a ticket sales disaster.  Madonna and U2 share management, so maybe that's why they haven't toured there recently.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 02:42:38 PM by podiumboy »

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2018, 03:59:02 PM »
They could do it but it sounds exhausting! and very taxing on a singers voice! not like they are young anymore.  I would think that U2 probably have a bigger and more lasting fan base than Madonna.  My thoughts are that their concerts would sell out, they do have a legendary image around them really.  Certainly in the state where I live Foo fighters, Adele, Pink, Ed Sheeran, McCartney Chris Isaak have all sold out in recent years.  I would think that U2 would be the same.

I live remote so dont get to see many of them, too much hassle getting there but for U2 I would make the effort.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 04:04:59 PM by summerholly »

Offline podiumboy

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2018, 06:00:29 PM »
The thing is, this is not a grueling schedule.  The schedule has a lot of days off between shows, and there's a 2 month break in July and August.  I realize they are older and also want to spend time with family and friends, so they can spread out their schedule as they like.  Their touring schedule in 2017 was much more hectic than it was in 2015, or this year as well.

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2018, 03:26:14 AM »
The thing is, this is not a grueling schedule.  The schedule has a lot of days off between shows, and there's a 2 month break in July and August.  I realize they are older and also want to spend time with family and friends, so they can spread out their schedule as they like.  Their touring schedule in 2017 was much more hectic than it was in 2015, or this year as well.

I think just being a long way away from home all that time and close to Christmas especially if like Adam you have a young child is not easy.  Its not really like they need to or have to!  We can probably wait till 2019 really and then it would be more likely that they might do Asia as well and maybe a few extra Aussie or NZ shows if needed. I guess we will see what happens!

Offline McSwilly

• Refugee
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2018, 10:34:34 AM »
If the last two albums are so bad, then why would you care that you are unable to see them?

Also, nothing has confirmed that they won't eventually go to NZ and Australia...

I can answer this  - because even though (I agree) 1/2 the songs are crap from the last two crap albums, the other half is greatness from previous classic albums. To me, some of the oldies are worth the price of admission.

Offline podiumboy

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2018, 10:23:48 AM »
The Irish dates are rumored to be Belfast Oct 31/Nov 1, and Dublin Nov 5,6,9,10.  So the European tour will end November 10th... that pretty much puts a potential Australian tour into 2019.  Not enough time.

Offline Gavin82

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2018, 01:34:28 PM »
Not enough time for what?? Ed Sheeran dont start his Oz/Nz tour until Friday 2nd March thru til April 1st i believe yeah i know his tixs been out a while now BUT there really aint no need for U2 too drop there Oz/Nz dates till later in year maybe 6 months notice Aug/Sep time

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • St Louis,Omaha,Montreal 1&2, NYC 3, Belfast 1,2
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2018, 07:11:55 PM »
If the last Dublin date has been announced then they could totally do OZ before Christmas.