Author Topic: New Zealand and Australia left out again  (Read 3518 times)

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
Re: New Zealand and Australia left out again
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2018, 03:48:08 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
If the last Dublin date has been announced then they could totally do OZ before Christmas.

Maybe they will, but why would they really, and seems like from the posts that Europe and America are bitching for more shows lol. They haven't been here for such a long time probably for their own reasons and priorities so why change now.  Hope they come but not holding my breath. 

Offline Gavin82

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2018, 07:45:45 AM »
If the last Dublin date has been announced then they could totally do OZ before Christmas.

I doubt they would want too start mid Dec then have too fly home for Xmas & NY i say mid Dec cos say Dub adds 2 shows as we expect they would want few wks off by the time they get over there etc etc

Offline podiumboy

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2018, 01:02:58 PM »
The fact that the last European show is on Nov 10th pretty much kills an Australian tour in 2018.  A younger band could do it, but U2 seem to require a lot of time off.  Which is fine, nobody blames them.  I'm pretty sure they'll head down under early 2019.  It's just stupid that they've toured the US 4 times since their last Australian tour!

Offline Chargedvt

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2018, 06:12:33 PM »
Assuming the usual 2 days on and 2 days off routine, and assuming they play 2 shows in all 5 capital cities plus 2 NZ cities...  That's 26 days from start to finish. Certainly can be done but pushing it. But then, the second Perth show on 360 was within a week of Christmas.
Or they might do just an east coast tour, in which case take less time to complete.

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2018, 09:41:11 PM »

Or they might do just an east coast tour, in which case take less time to complete.

Wash your mouth out!

Offline Chargedvt

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2018, 01:34:26 AM »

Wash your mouth out!

Hey I'm from near Adelaide so I definitely want a full tour. Just saying that some bands just stick to the eastern seaboard!

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2018, 02:43:00 AM »

Wash your mouth out!

Hey I'm from near Adelaide so I definitely want a full tour. Just saying that some bands just stick to the eastern seaboard!

That's why we appreciate the bands that make the effort and we have a brand new state of the art stadium that seats 60,000 people. Both concerts sold out for Ed Sheeran coming March!  He is the first to play there.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 02:48:43 AM by summerholly »

Offline johno11

• Refugee
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2018, 04:34:32 PM »
I know we have heard the rumours all before. The latest one is that I&E tour will hit Aus/NZ in Feb 2019. Hopefully this happens as I'm over us missing out on last few tours.

Offline Gavin82

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2018, 03:41:13 AM »
Fingers crossed for everyone down under...!!!!!

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2018, 04:32:57 AM »
It would be good but I hope they do a hybrid and play quite a lot their older music as well seeing as we missed a whole lot of tours including JT.  Not sure I am ready to go through a whole concert of mainly just songs from I and E even if it is U2. 

Offline opening night

• Stateless
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2018, 12:30:39 PM »
I know we have heard the rumours all before. The latest one is that I&E tour will hit Aus/NZ in Feb 2019. Hopefully this happens as I'm over us missing out on last few tours.

There is no rumor.

Offline d.darroch

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2018, 07:22:00 AM »

It would be good but I hope they do a hybrid and play quite a lot their older music as well seeing as we missed a whole lot of tours including JT.
I've got an acquaintance over here in Europe who has been part of the crew since the i+e tour. I believe he's worked on legs in Europe, the US & South America for both i+e & TJT tour. Back in November I was complaining that the band hadn't been to Australia since 2010. We'd missed i+e in Oceania, & it certainly looked like we'd be missing TJT tour (which would be the first tour I've missed since my first show, ZooTV Sydney, in 1993).

My friend said don't be so sure you've missed TJT tour, don't be so sure it won't make it to Australia. He said management was still trying to work out if they can take TJT tour down under, in some form. That kinda blew my mind!

I have to say, I was sceptical then, & am sceptical now. This friend is not a huge fan of the band. Wasn't a fan at all before he got the job, but he's grown to like them after seeing a few shows over the last few years. Not many shows mind you, as he says he's usually flat out at work when the band's performing.

I am a bit of a pessimist, but maybe I should be an optimist, & dream of U2 touring Oz with both TJT tour in stadiums, & e+i in arenas concurrently. Heck, if The Rolling Stones can pack a single tour leg with both stadiums, arenas & theatres, maybe anything is possible. Though U2 touring two totally different productions, one in arenas, one in stadiums, certainly seems like a stretch. I'd imagine Bono would get cold sweats just thinking about all those lyrics that need to be memorised.

Unlikely, but hey, we can only dream.

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2018, 07:48:52 AM »
My preference would be for a TJT but a hybrid would be okay and solve having to do 2 different productions.  I am sure that would pack out stadiums many times over.  Roger Waters has just been and Ed Sheeran has just landed and he has filled 2 stadium nights with no problem and probably could have sold more! Sadly missed both as working a long way out from the city.  Would make an extra effort for U2 though

Offline d.darroch

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2018, 09:21:25 AM »
Yeah, but Oz hasn't had an arena tour since the 80's. I saw i+e, my first U2 arena shows. It was awesome being much closer to the band than a stadium show. So it would be great if the arena shows made it to Oz/NZ. Though I really wish I get to experience Exit live, plus OTH & the other songs I've never seen.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 09:23:31 AM by d.darroch »

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2018, 11:57:45 AM »
My preference would be for a TJT but a hybrid would be okay and solve having to do 2 different productions.  I am sure that would pack out stadiums many times over.  Roger Waters has just been and Ed Sheeran has just landed and he has filled 2 stadium nights with no problem and probably could have sold more! Sadly missed both as working a long way out from the city.  Would make an extra effort for U2 though

You like Ed Sheeran? I've only heard one song by him that I like. The rest is all sappy pop and nearly the opposite of U2 in many respects. He gets all the airplay on the radio though, so its no surprise there are crowds to see his live performances.

Anyways, to the main topic, I think Australia, New Zealand and Japan will get an arena tour promoting Songs Of Experience. Maybe an extensive one too with 20 arena shows in Australia, 5 in New Zealand and 5 in Japan. Maybe Hawaii will get some shows if the arena there can fit the Experience & Innocence production.

Although many fans in Australia would be happy about a JT production, I think that would be out of character for the band to essentially forfeit promoting the new album Down Under. Although the album may not be doing great, and the songs are not being streamed or played on the radio extensively, the album still deserves a tour that will give its best shot of doing well.