Author Topic: New Zealand and Australia left out again  (Read 2425 times)

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
Re: New Zealand and Australia left out again
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2018, 07:13:26 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
My preference would be for a TJT but a hybrid would be okay and solve having to do 2 different productions.  I am sure that would pack out stadiums many times over.  Roger Waters has just been and Ed Sheeran has just landed and he has filled 2 stadium nights with no problem and probably could have sold more! Sadly missed both as working a long way out from the city.  Would make an extra effort for U2 though

You like Ed Sheeran? I've only heard one song by him that I like. The rest is all sappy pop and nearly the opposite of U2 in many respects. He gets all the airplay on the radio though, so its no surprise there are crowds to see his live performances.

Anyways, to the main topic, I think Australia, New Zealand and Japan will get an arena tour promoting Songs Of Experience. Maybe an extensive one too with 20 arena shows in Australia, 5 in New Zealand and 5 in Japan. Maybe Hawaii will get some shows if the arena there can fit the Experience & Innocence production.

Although many fans in Australia would be happy about a JT production, I think that would be out of character for the band to essentially forfeit promoting the new album Down Under. Although the album may not be doing great, and the songs are not being streamed or played on the radio extensively, the album still deserves a tour that will give its best shot of doing well.

Yeah I like a few songs of Ed Sheeran - Castle on the hill and Bloodstream and I also like Metallica and Waylon Jennings hehe.  Not in the same way I like U2 and Pink Floyd whose music follows me down the years.

Hopefully the band changes character and plays at least a hybrid JT/SOE tour and doesn't always put pushing album success ahead of what their fans might like especially as they haven't been here for so long.  Not sure I would be up for a straight I and E tour, I would be luke warm about it especially if the ticket prices are high.    The logistics for me of getting into a concert is pretty big and expensive so if I am feeling luke warm I don't bother. 
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 08:01:57 PM by summerholly »

Offline Boba Fett

• Wanderer
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2018, 09:12:38 PM »

It would be good but I hope they do a hybrid and play quite a lot their older music as well seeing as we missed a whole lot of tours including JT.
I've got an acquaintance over here in Europe who has been part of the crew since the i+e tour. I believe he's worked on legs in Europe, the US & South America for both i+e & TJT tour. Back in November I was complaining that the band hadn't been to Australia since 2010. We'd missed i+e in Oceania, & it certainly looked like we'd be missing TJT tour (which would be the first tour I've missed since my first show, ZooTV Sydney, in 1993).

My friend said don't be so sure you've missed TJT tour, don't be so sure it won't make it to Australia. He said management was still trying to work out if they can take TJT tour down under, in some form. That kinda blew my mind!

I have to say, I was sceptical then, & am sceptical now. This friend is not a huge fan of the band. Wasn't a fan at all before he got the job, but he's grown to like them after seeing a few shows over the last few years. Not many shows mind you, as he says he's usually flat out at work when the band's performing.

I am a bit of a pessimist, but maybe I should be an optimist, & dream of U2 touring Oz with both TJT tour in stadiums, & e+i in arenas concurrently. Heck, if The Rolling Stones can pack a single tour leg with both stadiums, arenas & theatres, maybe anything is possible. Though U2 touring two totally different productions, one in arenas, one in stadiums, certainly seems like a stretch. I'd imagine Bono would get cold sweats just thinking about all those lyrics that need to be memorised.

Unlikely, but hey, we can only dream.

Yes, this is my hope - bring both productions. Play a TJT outdoor stadium gig and an e+i gig at an indoor arena in each major city. Adelaide might be the only city where the arena might be a tight squeeze, but everywhere else should be fine.

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2018, 05:03:57 AM »

It would be good but I hope they do a hybrid and play quite a lot their older music as well seeing as we missed a whole lot of tours including JT.
I've got an acquaintance over here in Europe who has been part of the crew since the i+e tour. I believe he's worked on legs in Europe, the US & South America for both i+e & TJT tour. Back in November I was complaining that the band hadn't been to Australia since 2010. We'd missed i+e in Oceania, & it certainly looked like we'd be missing TJT tour (which would be the first tour I've missed since my first show, ZooTV Sydney, in 1993).

My friend said don't be so sure you've missed TJT tour, don't be so sure it won't make it to Australia. He said management was still trying to work out if they can take TJT tour down under, in some form. That kinda blew my mind!

I have to say, I was sceptical then, & am sceptical now. This friend is not a huge fan of the band. Wasn't a fan at all before he got the job, but he's grown to like them after seeing a few shows over the last few years. Not many shows mind you, as he says he's usually flat out at work when the band's performing.

I am a bit of a pessimist, but maybe I should be an optimist, & dream of U2 touring Oz with both TJT tour in stadiums, & e+i in arenas concurrently. Heck, if The Rolling Stones can pack a single tour leg with both stadiums, arenas & theatres, maybe anything is possible. Though U2 touring two totally different productions, one in arenas, one in stadiums, certainly seems like a stretch. I'd imagine Bono would get cold sweats just thinking about all those lyrics that need to be memorised.

Unlikely, but hey, we can only dream.

Yes, this is my hope - bring both productions. Play a TJT outdoor stadium gig and an e+i gig at an indoor arena in each major city. Adelaide might be the only city where the arena might be a tight squeeze, but everywhere else should be fine.

If they are making the effort to come to Australia I would hope that they would play more than one stadium gig in each city.  Good luck getting tickets if they don't!

Offline xy

• Child of Grace
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2018, 05:21:44 AM »
Well did they officially say E/I tour isn't coming down under ? I mean if they can haul stadiums on JT30 tour, why not arenas for NZ, Australia, Japan...?
After all 360 was a huge production and it went all over the world. Hoping you guys get to see them.

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2018, 05:40:02 AM »
Well did they officially say E/I tour isn't coming down under ? I mean if they can haul stadiums on JT30 tour, why not arenas for NZ, Australia, Japan...?
After all 360 was a huge production and it went all over the world. Hoping you guys get to see them.

I don't know but I would much prefer a JT30 tour.  Just not switched on as much by their newer stuff.  So long since they have been here that just doing the new stuff would probably be a bridge too far for me.  If they manage to do both that is good. 
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 05:50:08 AM by summerholly »

Offline d.darroch

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2018, 11:28:05 AM »

No, there's been no mention of it. I'd say it's a near certainty that we'll get e+i, in arenas. I wouldn't bet that we'll get TJT in stadiums. Of course I'm hoping we do, I'm hoping we get both!

I don't know but I would much prefer a JT30 tour.  Just not switched on as much by their newer stuff.  So long since they have been here that just doing the new stuff would probably be a bridge too far for me.  If they manage to do both that is good. 

I'm torn. TJT is one of my favourite albums. I was a little too young to see the Lovetown tour, so would love to hear those songs now. Especially want to experience Exit live. Always been a fan, always wanted to see it, & this version looked like it went off.

In saying that, arena tours are awesome. It's so much more intimate, you're so much closer to the band.

Plus I enjoy both of the last two albums. No they're not up there with AB, TJT & TUF, but I'd still like to experience quite a few of those songs live.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 02:25:23 AM by d.darroch »

Offline Chargedvt

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2018, 03:38:11 PM »
The Joshua Tree tour is in the past. I can't see the band revisiting that tour 2 years later, they probably want to put that tour far behind them. What would they say, "Oh, it's the 32nd anniversary of JT"?
No, if we get anything here it will be the arena E&I tour, but at the moment there are no firm plans. I think the band doesn't know what they want to do!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 03:41:46 PM by Chargedvt »

Offline dougie

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • A Bozo on the bus going nowhere!
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2018, 06:54:33 PM »
Since they didn't get the JT tour in 2017 down under, the band could pepper a few of the rare tracks (Exit, One Tree Hill ...) during this tour leg. I have always wanted to go visit, hope U2 tours in Aus/NZ.

Offline d.darroch

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2018, 10:27:50 PM »
An e+i exit could be very cool I would think

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2018, 04:57:48 AM »
The Joshua Tree tour is in the past. I can't see the band revisiting that tour 2 years later, they probably want to put that tour far behind them. What would they say, "Oh, it's the 32nd anniversary of JT"?
No, if we get anything here it will be the arena E&I tour, but at the moment there are no firm plans. I think the band doesn't know what they want to do!

Yeah they probably don't really need to do Australia from their own personal point of view.  Long way to come especially when there is so much demand closer to home. When asked in an interview they kind of seemed a bit yeah we would love to come in theory, but were not going to be pined down to an actual yes.   

Why would they have to say it is the 32nd anniversary? It is just a JT tour.  I don't give a rats if they don't play it in the 30th year lol.  Nice to have a bit of flexibility for a country they haven't visited for so long.  That's why a hybrid would be good, satisfies a range of fans

They would sell out an arena tour for E and I easily I would think but I doubt I would make the big expensive logistical effort required by me to see them of they don't add some of the great early songs in (other than Streets and Pride which I personally would be happy to do without).   Doubt I would get a ticket anyway with my internet connection.!

Offline Boba Fett

• Wanderer
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2018, 04:16:35 PM »
If U2 does come Down Under at the end of 2018 or early 2019 it will be interesting to see whether the proposed E+I setlist remains as is, or whether there's a TJT section added in. They might have trouble selling out even arenas if word gets out that there's a complete absence of TJT songs in the set...

Offline wons

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2018, 05:09:09 AM »
If U2 does come Down Under at the end of 2018 or early 2019 it will be interesting to see whether the proposed E+I setlist remains as is, or whether there's a TJT section added in. They might have trouble selling out even arenas if word gets out that there's a complete absence of TJT songs in the set...

Yet, one of the few countries that the Joshua Tree album failed to go to #1 in was Australia.

Offline Chargedvt

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2018, 08:21:01 AM »

Yet, one of the few countries that the Joshua Tree album failed to go to #1 in was Australia.

Peak position isn't everything - the album is at least 6x platinum... and Rattle And Hum 8x. People here love U2's old stuff and most aren't aware that SOI or SOE came out. Given the amount of time since they've toured, the lack of big songs and the high ticket prices I think they'll struggle to sell out an arena tour. I think we will hear info after the tour starts.

Offline wons

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2018, 09:08:26 AM »

Peak position isn't everything - the album is at least 6x platinum... and Rattle And Hum 8x. People here love U2's old stuff and most aren't aware that SOI or SOE came out. Given the amount of time since they've toured, the lack of big songs and the high ticket prices I think they'll struggle to sell out an arena tour. I think we will hear info after the tour starts.

Hope that is not the case. If they get there in early 2019, that will mark 8 years away. U2 did amazing business in Australia in 2006 after having been away for 8 years and that was in Stadiums. I think there will be enough fans to fill arenas.

Offline d.darroch

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2018, 09:47:55 AM »
Though TJT has outsold AB (which went to #1) in Australia. It's a very popular album there.