Author Topic: U2 and Kendrick Lamar to Open Grammys  (Read 2621 times)

Offline Vox

• Running to Stand Still
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
U2 and Kendrick Lamar to Open Grammys
« on: January 25, 2018, 12:49:00 PM »
Kendrick Lamar to open show with U2 (and Dave Chappelle).  As a Kendrick Lamar fan, I'm excited to see what they do.  Maybe Kendrick starts out with "XXX" with Bono in the back, then the full band as Kendrick segues into "American Soul," with Dave Chappelle introducing them or having a monologue in the midst of it, or something.  Probably with anti-he-who-must-not-named images on the screens -- wouldn't be hard to see that coming.  Should be interesting, at least!     

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Stateless

• Headache in a Suitcase
Re: U2 and Kendrick Lamar to Open Grammys
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 06:00:07 PM »
I kind of figured this would happen when Lamar and U2 were announced to also perform a few weeks back.  My gut feeling is that Lamar will start with one of his songs and as he gets towards the end of his song, he will begin the opening portion of American Soul as U2 appears and they kick into to American Soul. No clue what Dave Chappelle will be doing. 

Offline Tim Wallach

• Babyface
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 07:16:50 AM »
The clips the news was showing of them rehearsing would seem to validate that it's American Soul for sure.

Offline u2live

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 07:18:56 AM »
VERTIGO part 3 to open the Grammy's............ nothing new here

Offline Tim Wallach

• Babyface
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2018, 07:25:19 AM »
They just seem a bit tone deaf these days. I know they're proud of that song, but I guarantee 95% of the viewers will see it as more second-rate Bono bluster.

If they really wanted to make a statement about their record and what it stands for, one of the more personal ones would have been awesome. Imagine Love is All We Have Left? I know, pipe dream. Still. Or even Red Flag Day. But I guess it wouldn't flow well with Kendrick.

Offline u2live

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2018, 07:26:37 AM »
Then at the end of the show my guess is all artists come on stage together and sing ALL YOU NEED IS LOVE

Offline skelter

• Staring at the Sun
  • Drowning is no sin
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2018, 10:26:03 AM »
They just seem a bit tone deaf these days. I know they're proud of that song, but I guarantee 95% of the viewers will see it as more second-rate Bono bluster.

If they really wanted to make a statement about their record and what it stands for, one of the more personal ones would have been awesome. Imagine Love is All We Have Left? I know, pipe dream. Still. Or even Red Flag Day. But I guess it wouldn't flow well with Kendrick.
yup. They can't play non-singles for something so mainstream. They will play AS and further embarrass themselves in the public eye. What can you do?

Offline DPardue

• Wanderer
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2018, 12:20:22 PM »

If they really wanted to make a statement about their record and what it stands for, one of the more personal ones would have been awesome. Imagine Love is All We Have Left?

I like this idea...a lot.

Offline The Bonzo

• Stateless
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2018, 10:03:54 AM »

Looks like U2 pre-recorded their bit for the grammys

Offline Stateless

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2018, 10:33:15 AM »

I don't get this comment.  If you say they are proud of the song, then why not play it?  Maybe that is what they want to do.  I do not for a second see it as them embarrassing themselves.  For me personally, I like the song, but I would love to hear something else, but this is their song and if they are proud of it, it is up to them to play it and that seems like what they are doing.

The last comment about this being pre-recorded sounds odd, but it makes some sense.  Why have all the graphics/images if it is just a rehearsal?  So that story of the grammy performance will just be a recording in-between what Lamar is doing sounds like it could be.  Or the Story is wrong and they were filming a video for the song.  Seems odd for them not to perform live being they are in NY.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • Saint Louis, Montreal 1 & 2, NYC 3, Belfast 1,2
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2018, 10:11:51 AM »
Probably a mixture of both

Offline j2736 (i'm not a boy ! )

• Desert Rose
  • watch more television
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2018, 05:38:10 PM »
watching it now. short appearance of U2. i will have to watch the whole show for U2. torture. :-(

Offline Stateless

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2018, 05:42:52 PM »
Yeah, not too much U2.  Bono & Edge appear shortly, Edge plays guitar during Lamar's opening song, then they both walk towards the front and they sing a bit of Get of your Own Way as they walk forward and that was it.  They did get a huge reaction however from the crowd when Bono and Edge near the front of the stage...but that was it.  Really thought they were going to actually play a full song.   Wonder if they will be on a bit later, but not banking on it.  I also wonder what the whole barge thing was about now. 

Offline j2736 (i'm not a boy ! )

• Desert Rose
  • watch more television
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2018, 05:48:08 PM »
yes, i heard the voices of the fans. my gosh, if that's the only appearance of U2, i don't think it's fair.

Offline grhawi

• Wanderer
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2018, 06:05:24 PM »
They are not coming back.  If so, they would be promoting it.